Draggable Overlays snapping to grid when they should not.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Has Vasl been changed with regard to being able to make pieces ignore the map grid? If I create an extension with a draggable overlay and set the properties of the piece to “does not stack” and within that to “ignore map grid” it should be possible to move that piece around without it snapping to the grid. This no longer seems to work. Is this something that has been done to Vasl or is it a fault that I need to report with regard to VASSAL?

EDIT - It does appear that the Do Not Stack - Ignore Map Grid property has somehow been broken in Vasl. I just tested it by creating an extension copying a unit and adding the property to the unit, but when it is moved on the map it still snaps to the grid.

Last edited:

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OK I have done some more testing and this is definitely something that has been introduced in Version 6.3.3, it works fine in 6.2.2 and earlier.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a "bug." To fix the issue of the "disappearing" stacks I had to force-snap counters to the grid. Since no VASL counters ignore the grid this was the easiest approach.

So, I have to ask, why do you want counters that don't snap to the grid?

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Several extensions I have made in the past have now been broken. For example many of the Afrika Korps desert overlays which are draggable overlays will no longer work, because they now snap to grid, the VBM draggable overlay for checking hexside clearance was specifically made to not snap to grid as well, because the Vasl grid is not a true grid and it was not possible to line it up properly otherwise.

EDIT- There may be more I have not checked all of the extensions and cannot remember off the top of my head how many had draggable overlays that should not snap to grid.

Last edited:

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Making overlays as draggable overlays is a lot less work than the work required to create images for each rotation, making the overlay rotatable and not snapping to grid allows it to be placed in any orientation. However this is no longer possible.

EDIT: It may be that it is possible, I will need to have a look at this, it may just be that I would have to redo the work already done to make the existing overlays work, however the VBM obviously will no longer work, but that would be a small price to pay for fixing the disappearing stacks.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Several extensions I have made in the past have now been broken. For example many of the Afrika Korps desert overlays which are draggable overlays will no longer work, because they now snap to grid, the VBM draggable overlay for checking hexside clearance was specifically made to not snap to grid as well, because the Vasl grid is not a true grid and it was not possible to line it up properly otherwise.

EDIT- There may be more I have not checked all of the extensions and cannot remember off the top of my head how many had draggable overlays that should not snap to grid.
Wow. I have not noticed that before, but the "loss" of the VBM-checker for VASL v6.3.3 would be a serious issue.

From personal expecience, I did notice the snapping to grid while placing draggable overlays to designate VC locations. I prefer using small text labels in many cases, as the yellow V letters provided often interfere with the outlines of buildings (and thus LOS determination). You could place them anywhere on board just as needed. Indeed, they are now limited to grid.

von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I prefer using small text labels in many cases, as the yellow V letters provided often interfere with the outlines of buildings (and thus LOS determination).
Just as an FYI, the draggable overlays (such as the yellow "V") disappear when you draw a LOS. So they should never interfere with LOS checks (or even "guessing" a LOS, since you can hide everything temporarily to look at the "raw" map).

The VBM extension does seem to be broken, though, since there appears to be a disconnect between the "invisible" grid that the overlay snaps to, and the visible grid on the map. In some hexes the VBM overlay looks fine, in others it is quite noticeably not centred in the hex (hence making the hexsides on one side of the hex less obstructive than on the other side of the hex).

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is a "bug." To fix the issue of the "disappearing" stacks I had to force-snap counters to the grid. Since no VASL counters ignore the grid this was the easiest approach.

So, I have to ask, why do you want counters that don't snap to the grid?
When you say that this is a bug does that mean that there are plans to fix it or does it mean that the "Do not snap to grid" functionality will remain turned off and not be available in Vasl?

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a fix for the issue, so it will be in the next release. We don't have a date for that yet.