Downtown D4 'Wheel of Hurt'

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just started playing D4 'Wheel of Hurt' from the rather good 'Downtown, air war over Hanoi 1965-1972' from GMT games, this game really is fun, from planning the raid, to load out for the strike elements and then the actual run in to target, if you can get a copy (I just secured one!) get it.

Untitled.jpeg

The USAF move on in T1 with the Jamming flight (2 x 1 EB-66C) with a CAP (2 x 2 F4C 1 x Vet +1), coming in at Combat speed from ingress point 2 and heading towards WayPoint 1 where they will set up their Jamming patrol loop. The DRV had early warning and managed to have 2 flights airborne at the time, 1 near the orbit point at Hon Binh (undetected at the moment) and a flight way up north near Pha Lai orbit point (detected), Charlie scrambled 2 more flights, 1 from Noi Bai AF and 1 from Kep AF, both are still at Deck height and are still going 'Gears up' and starting their flight evolution.

The main strike group will come on Turn 3 and head straight to the Target (oil Storage & Rail Yard at Phuc Yen) and then egress straight East 12Km before hooking South East and then South West and finally West for the home run, Leading the strike group will be a SEAD 'Iron Hand' flight (2 x 2 F-105F Wild Weasels) with Shrike's and a CAP ( 2 x 4 F-4C) with Aim-9B & AIM-7E followed straight away by the main Bombing group (5 x 4 F-105D) equipped with Standard A bombs.

Turn 9 the BDA Recon flight (1 x 2 RF-101C) will roll in behind the Strike group and take BDA Phots, they will be covered by one of the main Strike Group CAP flights.

Rally point for the raid is 16 Km South South West of Phu Tho.

The raid has just started but I am already itching to let a few shrikes off.

DRV has alot of SAM and Fire CANS hidden, and what he has on map is not turned on or activated yet, This is going to be fun.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Congrats on being able to get a copy!! ENJOY!!!!! :) - Jack

Just started playing D4 'Wheel of Hurt' from the rather good 'Downtown, air war over Hanoi 1965-1972' from GMT games, this game really is fun, from planning the raid, to load out for the strike elements and then the actual run in to target, if you can get a copy (I just secured one!) get it.

View attachment 1832

The USAF move on in T1 with the Jamming flight (2 x 1 EB-66C) with a CAP (2 x 2 F4C 1 x Vet +1), coming in at Combat speed from ingress point 2 and heading towards WayPoint 1 where they will set up their Jamming patrol loop. The DRV had early warning and managed to have 2 flights airborne at the time, 1 near the orbit point at Hon Binh (undetected at the moment) and a flight way up north near Pha Lai orbit point (detected), Charlie scrambled 2 more flights, 1 from Noi Bai AF and 1 from Kep AF, both are still at Deck height and are still going 'Gears up' and starting their flight evolution.

The main strike group will come on Turn 3 and head straight to the Target (oil Storage & Rail Yard at Phuc Yen) and then egress straight East 12Km before hooking South East and then South West and finally West for the home run, Leading the strike group will be a SEAD 'Iron Hand' flight (2 x 2 F-105F Wild Weasels) with Shrike's and a CAP ( 2 x 4 F-4C) with Aim-9B & AIM-7E followed straight away by the main Bombing group (5 x 4 F-105D) equipped with Standard A bombs.

Turn 9 the BDA Recon flight (1 x 2 RF-101C) will roll in behind the Strike group and take BDA Phots, they will be covered by one of the main Strike Group CAP flights.

Rally point for the raid is 16 Km South South West of Phu Tho.

The raid has just started but I am already itching to let a few shrikes off.

DRV has alot of SAM and Fire CANS hidden, and what he has on map is not turned on or activated yet, This is going to be fun.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Congrats on being able to get a copy!! ENJOY!!!!! :) - Jack
was lucky, asked some dude on BGG, he had one up for trade, so just asked how much to buy, the price was good, so am just waiting for an Evil-bay sale I have going on (full Black SS OB and HoB SS OB's) and then it will be mine, so I reckon in a week I should have the real thing in my hands Jack, I just gotta get hold of a fair priced copy of C3i issue#18 now for the Map expansion!

all the best mate

Perry

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
was lucky, asked some dude on BGG, he had one up for trade, so just asked how much to buy, the price was good, so am just waiting for an Evil-bay sale I have going on (full Black SS OB and HoB SS OB's) and then it will be mine, so I reckon in a week I should have the real thing in my hands Jack, I just gotta get hold of a fair priced copy of C3i issue#18 now for the Map expansion!

all the best mate

Perry
Theres a solitary copy of C3i 18 on eBay for weeks that is more expensive than the game itself. Now, I haven't gone thru the details but the expansion article "Dragon's Jaw" is here .. http://www.c3iopscenter.com/currentops/c3i-issue-eighteen/

.. and the map "RP4" is in the VASSAL module

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Theres a solitary copy of C3i 18 on eBay for weeks that is more expensive than the game itself. Now, I haven't gone thru the details but the expansion article "Dragon's Jaw" is here .. http://www.c3iopscenter.com/currentops/c3i-issue-eighteen/

.. and the map "RP4" is in the VASSAL module
Yep, no way am I paying that for a map and some counters, wife would kill me! Will more than likely make a copy of the whole map from vassal, the colour it properly as the vassal map is not very good colour wise, then print it off with 1 inch hexes. That way I can save the real map when the game arrives.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There is a solitaire system out there for VASSAL, IIRC. Knowing where the hidden SAMs are makes solitaire a bit less challenging.
Using it Paul, the USAF have just not triggered any of them yet, there are 12 other SAM out there somewhere and 4 dummies, also 8 Fire Cans that have not activated! This is not going to be an easy run. I have to admit this game has drawn me in rapidly.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Using it Paul, the USAF have just not triggered any of them yet, there are 12 other SAM out there somewhere and 4 dummies, also 8 Fire Cans that have not activated! This is not going to be an easy run. I have to admit this game has drawn me in rapidly.
D4 is a big leap forward in the downtown learning curve! - you're in for a heckuva ride. Hopefully you don't lose more than 1 jet, my average losses in this scen run 2 down and 1-2 more damaged and/ or crippled. the multi-layer air defense is in full force here. Its gets worse if you roll up an early war alpha strike, the F-100s and F-104s just can't handle the pressure.

As for the solitaire rules, they apply even on the cardboard and paper map, and are quite good , but limit you to only the USAF / USN side of the game.

Keep the whirlybirds warmed up, I see a Jolly Green Giant in your near future.
:D

KRL, Jon H

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
D4 is a big leap forward in the downtown learning curve! - you're in for a heckuva ride. Hopefully you don't lose more than 1 jet, my average losses in this scen run 2 down and 1-2 more damaged and/ or crippled. the multi-layer air defense is in full force here. Its gets worse if you roll up an early war alpha strike, the F-100s and F-104s just can't handle the pressure.

As for the solitaire rules, they apply even on the cardboard and paper map, and are quite good , but limit you to only the USAF / USN side of the game.

Keep the whirlybirds warmed up, I see a Jolly Green Giant in your near future.
:D

KRL, Jon H
I have a JGG ready to go, the right hand CAP has downed a Mig 17 and damaged another, it is running fast for cover but is being pursued by a pair of F-4s. The main raid is now roughly 20 odd nautical miles inland and I have already seen a glaring error in my approach, I have inadvertently left one of my jamming birds open and a pair of Mig-21's are closing to fast and I have nothing left to move to intercept, D4 is indeed a big jump forward, however Jon I am taking it easy and going over each turn bit by bit and as I am using the solo rules I am forced to take each phase slowly. I love this game, it has certainly fired my imagination, the real thing will be at castle Pender via Royal Mail next week by Thursday at the latest and I will set up D4 again and play it through.

Looking for the expansion map now!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a JGG ready to go, the right hand CAP has downed a Mig 17 and damaged another, it is running fast for cover but is being pursued by a pair of F-4s. The main raid is now roughly 20 odd nautical miles inland and I have already seen a glaring error in my approach, I have inadvertently left one of my jamming birds open and a pair of Mig-21's are closing to fast and I have nothing left to move to intercept, D4 is indeed a big jump forward, however Jon I am taking it easy and going over each turn bit by bit and as I am using the solo rules I am forced to take each phase slowly. I love this game, it has certainly fired my imagination, the real thing will be at castle Pender via Royal Mail next week by Thursday at the latest and I will set up D4 again and play it through.

Looking for the expansion map now!
oooph, you're gonna catch high holy hell from those EB-66 crews if you lose one to an Atoll.. ;)

Not to mention the loss of face for losing a SAC asset in a TacAir op.

and the VP loss, of course. Better teach that pilot how to jink and jive.... :D

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
oooph, you're gonna catch high holy hell from those EB-66 crews if you lose one to an Atoll.. ;)

Not to mention the loss of face for losing a SAC asset in a TacAir op.

and the VP loss, of course. Better teach that pilot how to jink and jive.... :D
Just got back k from the mother in laws so will play what will more than likely be a bad turn for the US AT tonight, I am dreading it, I can see those Mig-21 pilots laughing already.