Download Overlays

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does one still need to go to the old VASL Website to download overlays, or are they not available right in VASL like all the boards are now?

TIA

Edit: I stumbled onto the overlay tab and I think I got it figured out. I CAN be taught! :)

Last edited:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
If you are using the old style overlays (the ones you set when you’re picking boards) you still need to download them. If you are using draggable overlays, they are in the extension and you just need the extension.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup, I must have downloaded the extension (don't ask me when) because the one I need is in the draggable list on the toolbar tab.

Thanks!

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yup, I must have downloaded the extension (don't ask me when) because the one I need is in the draggable list on the toolbar tab.

Thanks!
You want to make sure you have the most recent version of the extension.

Starting in the upcoming VASL6.6.7, some extensions will be available for downloading from within VASL (users will have to choose to update; it will not be automatic). All 6.X extensions will eventually be available this way; it will be an iterative build up.

As for overlays, @zgrose is partially correct. Some overlays still need to be downloaded but some are now subject to the same auto-synchronization as boards. Again, I am adding them iteratively, it is often a question of how much I can get done from one version to the next. I think most of the MMP overlays should be auto-syncing. Less so for TPP.

BTW, personally, I favour having both the traditional overlays installed and the overlays extension. Both are excellent. The draggable ones from the extension are easy to manipulate and contain new overlays. The traditional ones are now starting to work with los checking and are better able to handle terrain transformations. This too is happening bit-by-bit.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
You will need to keep the extension for Overlays updated.
I have found that the auto-downloading of the built in VASL overlays is working for me.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Understood. And yet therein lies the problem for us techno-neanderthals. o_O
Which is why an update mechanism within the VASL mod is a good idea.

I could have extensions auto- update in the same ways as boards and the traditional overlays now do but I have been persuaded that there are good reasons not to do so.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could have extensions auto- update in the same ways as boards and the traditional overlays now do but I have been persuaded that there are good reasons not to do so.
Well, being completely unqualified to debate the merits/pitfalls of anything computer code related, I will offer no opinion on the matter. I am just happy I can stumble and bumble my way through a map/scenario setup (most of the time). VASL has opened up a whole new vista for my ASL addiction gaming, and I am grateful for guys like you who continue to make the experience even better.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I stumbled on this thread while trying to find a resource guiding me through the process to create an overlay file.

I am looking to make some simple railroad overlays that allow for alternate hexgrain railroads. Below is an example of one (a prototype I made last night). Anyway, I was looking into the contents of an overlay file and then was trying to find a guide to the coding in the data file and any other tips for making them. I can't seem to find one. Any help out there?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I stumbled on this thread while trying to find a resource guiding me through the process to create an overlay file.

I am looking to make some simple railroad overlays that allow for alternate hexgrain railroads. Below is an example of one (a prototype I made last night). Anyway, I was looking into the contents of an overlay file and then was trying to find a guide to the coding in the data file and any other tips for making them. I can't seem to find one. Any help out there?
View attachment 26039
I find the best way to learn is to pry open an existing file and switch out the bits that need to change. I can help you with the “coding” part. Which if memory serves is all about the orientation.