Down the rabbit hole... in a dier

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I made the effort, read the rule about three times and spent half an hour with the example for F4. It all makes sense, kind of, except for squad L in the picture. The notes say that only squad J, entrenched next to a tank, can't see squads H or I. Why is Squad L different? He is also entrenched in the dier, with the tank in the way. The only difference I see between J and L are that J is adjacent to the tank while L is 2 hexes away. So what am I missing?

Thanks for the help and I will probably be back later today with some questions about Hillocks...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
With regard to your tricky question, I am afraid I have to stick my head into the sand... ;)

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I made the effort, read the rule about three times and spent half an hour with the example for F4. It all makes sense, kind of, except for squad L in the picture. The notes say that only squad J, entrenched next to a tank, can't see squads H or I. Why is Squad L different? He is also entrenched in the dier, with the tank in the way. The only difference I see between J and L are that J is adjacent to the tank while L is 2 hexes away. So what am I missing?

Thanks for the help and I will probably be back later today with some questions about Hillocks...
I'll take a stab. B/c J is not in a lip hex side hex, which L is. So J being entrenched in the bottom of the bowl like effect of the deir cannot see H and I which are neither at higher level, nor in the deer nor on its edge. Whereas L, though entrenched, is on a lip hex side hex (the deir starting to curve upwards to the lip) can see these other units.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting. I didn't read it that way, just kind of thinking that you needed to be up against the lip you were peeking over. But your way makes sense and might be the solution to the puzzle.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As Andy said, per F4.4 "an entrenched/Emplaced unit in a non-Lip dier hex has a LOS past a Lip Hexside only to a same-level hex formed by that Lip hexside." The LOS does not have to go through the Lip Hexside of the entrenched/Emplaced unit. It's a bit unexpected.

JR

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, unexpected in a couple of ways. As Justiciar noted, it kind of makes sense in real life, which is always dangerous to apply to ASL. Second, it's a good example of "Read what it actually says" instead of "Read what you think it says". We are so used to seeing a requirement to actually be looking over the lip towards the target, such as crest status or over an adjacent hex side like walls & hedges.

An hour of my life I will never get back, but at least now I understand the rule. I am going to get destroyed in Desert League 2017! On to Hillocks!

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading rules and looking for Waldo is not time well spent. ASL is a great game to play, but the rules are nobody's idea of a good read.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It beats reading the Internal Revenue Code. of the US Government.