Down by the River [J202]

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Hot off the press and into my hands came this J13 scenario by Michael Koch, TD of the German Grenadier tournament. Again, my go-to opponent was David Stephens for our almost weekly match whose cumulative ASL gaming goes back to 1986. Problem is that our almost identical ages have caught up with us!

This scenario could be a great three player scenario, but the single Russian player, pressed on both sides of the Russian Lovat River, would have his hands full. In this case, David had his hands full with an attacking Wehrmacht force from the west and an SS force from the East.

For the first time in a while my Russians held tough with only one ELR failure the whole game while breaking two Wehrmacht and two SS officers in the course of play, disrupting the advances toward the river. The Wehrmacht had two early Stugs which did good service with a CH against my MG position taking out the 9-1 leader and his ill-fated squad and MG. I had guessed the Wehrmacht would try on their right side board edge and had my ATG HIP in the correct location but facing toward the open area in the middle of the #62 board. Because of the heavy INF accompaniment, I
dared not fire and waited until late in the game when the Stugs made for the middle of the board to garner the important VP's to win. Rear shot roared from the ATG but missed for motion and small target but got rate which prompted David to pop smoke and get away. CA now fixed in woods, the other Stug pulled a Bypass move to prevent the crew from Subsequent Defensive Fire vs. the German infantry which came a knocking. I could have tried an in hex hit but was not sure of hitting or whether it would be legal aim at a back hex side with a fixed CA.

Fast forward to the end with the Wehrmacht in position to advance and gain eight VP's. Now to the SS who ran every good order squad toward the river for the needed two VP's to seal the deal. I had plenty of men and an HMG to lay down a carpet of residual and a fire lane leaving one SS half-squad to win the game by joining the other squad and a half that had already traversed the gauntlet to the river. Just a 1 FP residual to traverse. "Pinned!" What a great game to start the new year.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I just played it with a long time buddy.
The Germans lost quite in the same way as those in your session report.
I posted about it in one of the ASL FB groups.
Michael Koch did a fine job designing this one.

PS : the scenario could fit for four players, with two players opposing one another on each side of the river.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Here is my last post on FB.

End game : T6 German MPh.

Soviet victory : at the bottom of the map (west of the river), the German progressed well (at least 7VP can be scored and even more if the bypassing StuG survives a side ATR attack).

At the top of the river, on the right, Soviets stemmed the progression of a bunch of SS on the right and a mad dash by other ones on the left stumbled in a Wire.
Only 1 VP was next to the river (at least one was necessary).
So, whatever the Germans could move on the west side of the river, they couldn't bring enough in the east.

There were tons of wild effects for both sides; among which, StuGs surviving four(!) Shock results; the 45LL crew being killed by rolling boxcars on a MC, and a Soviet squad managing to retrieve the gun, score a hit on the side of a StuG, with a dud(!) saving it (next TH being boxcars destroyed the Gun)...

This was a very fun scenario, with two quite different challenges on each side of the river.
Congratulations to Michael Koch for the excellent design!23937

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Here is my last post on FB.

End game : T6 German MPh.

Soviet victory : at the bottom of the map (west of the river), the German progressed well (at least 7VP can be scored and even more if the bypassing StuG survives a side ATR attack).

At the top of the river, on the right, Soviets stemmed the progression of a bunch of SS on the right and a mad dash by other ones on the left stumbled in a Wire.
Only 1 VP was next to the river (at least one was necessary).
So, whatever the Germans could move on the west side of the river, they couldn't bring enough in the east.

There were tons of wild effects for both sides; among which, StuGs surviving four(!) Shock results; the 45LL crew being killed by rolling boxcars on a MC, and a Soviet squad managing to retrieve the gun, score a hit on the side of a StuG, with a dud(!) saving it (next TH being boxcars destroyed the Gun)...

This was a very fun scenario, with two quite different challenges on each side of the river.
Congratulations to Michael Koch for the excellent design!View attachment 23937
Nice thing about VASL is you get a screen shot. I would need to use my cell phone but I generally do not take photos unless setting up HIP stuff. Yes, a very good scenario.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J202 - Down by the River FTF. Had a blast!

The 467/Stug side went well for my Germans. Helped by a second shot "12" for the 45LL on a too aggresive Stug, the landsers made the river bank with 8.5 VP ( including one Stug).

The other side, not so well, especially after a baby sniper killed my 9-2 on turn 3.

Came down to a final turn dash to the river.

An 8-1/468/468 on board 7, south edge CX'd and had to survive a 6+1 from across the river. Snakes and failed MCs ended that dash.

Next two 468s on the north edge faced 2 down 2 shots on their race to get a drink. They made it as the lone 9-0/HMG missed as did a 527 firing a captured German LMG.

Another nice design from Mr. Koch.

Rich

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Glad you guys like it.... Indeed, my intenion was a four-player scenario (three player works also fine).
I'm playing Tom Morin in our weekly VASL session in it, looks like fun battles on both sides of the river. Tom has the Russian so it will be tough assaulting whatever he comes up with, he has been great on defensive set up forever. Looking forward to it, if I could only roll low at the right time...

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Hello. We are about to start a game of J202. Looks quite fun and diverse. SSR3 states that "pond hexes are considered river hexes". Obviously this should not apply to hex 32K5, which has a pond but per B21.13 is not considered a Water Obstacle, correct?

Thanks

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
32K5 has no pond, I believe. It just has two water obstacle hexsides.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Hello. We are about to start a game of J202. Looks quite fun and diverse. SSR3 states that "pond hexes are considered river hexes". Obviously this should not apply to hex 32K5, which has a pond but per B21.13 is not considered a Water Obstacle, correct?

Thanks
Yes, it is a Pond hexside not a Pond hex.