Double Trouble (AP84) SSR questions

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started up this scenario PBEM and ran into a couple of questions regarding SSRs. Think they are pretty straight-forward, but would like to hear other opinions.

1) SSR 3 regarding the gunboat MTR states "Any Good Order British leader may act as a Spotter (C9.3) for the gunboat MTR [EXC: the leader and gunboat need not be in the same or adjacent hex, but all other C9.3-9.31 rules apply normally]." One of the restrictions mentioned in C9.3 states "A new Spotter may not be designated until the original Spotter is eliminated, broken, or captured—and not until the start of the owner's MPh following such a loss of the original Spotter." I interpret this as meaning once a leader is designated as the spotter for the MTR, he is the only one that can spot until eliminated, broken or captured. My opponent's interpretation of this is that any leader can spot at any time. The interesting thing is that I am the British and thus my interpretation is more restrictive for the Brits, but it seems pretty clear to me that, as written, once a leader is designated as the spotter, he is the only one that can spot until something bad happens to him.

2) SSR 1 states PTO terrain is in effect, but no board 5a buildings are huts. The VC's are written exactly as "The British win at game end by Controlling all buildings and/or amassig >= 5 VP more than the Japanese. CVP are awarded normally, and each non-hut (emphasis in original) building hex Controlled is worth 1 VP." There are some depictions on boards other than 5a that are huts by the declaration of PTO. The question is that, does "Controlling all buildings" include the huts on boards other than 5a since G5.1 states "Except as stated otherwise, huts are treated as wooden Single Story Houses"? My initial though was that it did require hut control, but the fact that the VC later specifically refers to "non-hut building hex" for gaining of VP's gives me pause.

Thanks!

Scott

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1) In the SSR it states that all other spotter rules apply normally. Following that would mean that you are right. The leader would need to be eliminated for another to be designated..
2) The VCs are perfectly clear. In this case, it states that each non hut building hex is worth 1VP. On Bd5a no buildings are huts, so they all count as 1 VP. On the other boards only the buildings, not the huts count for VP purposes.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think one still needs to Control all buildings (including [collapsed] huts) (for that part of the VC) - but only the non-hut buildings count for VP.