Double One 2020 cancelled

DC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"incidents?"
So here is an extract from an e-mail that I received from the individual who made physical threats against a fellow D1 2019 attendee. I have added the asterisks but you should be able to work out the Anglo Saxon terminology used. The syntax is as shown:-

"Why don't you F* OFF & DROP DEAD, you nauseating, evil little son-of-a-b**.

When you see your nasty little friend xxx xxx next, tell the c*** that I hope he dies in a fatal road traffic accident before Christmas. Frankly, the world would be a better place without scum like him - and you."

As I'm sure you can imagine, I did not expect to be on the receiving end of e-mails such as this through simply organising an ASL tournament.....

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Jeez, all that over a GAME!

Reactions: DC

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So here is an extract from an e-mail that I received from the individual who made physical threats against a fellow D1 2019 attendee.
Sad to read that Derek. Thank you for running a great tourny at a great venue. Maybe after a rest you'll come back?

Reactions: DC

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Sorry to see that an ASL player is capable of that kind of language (and I thought that I had played the ASL player from hell when he got so drunk at the morning/early afternoon session that I had to roll his dice and move his counters :)).

Why don't you pass on the name of the sender of that mail to the new, temporary TD so that he can get banned and we don't have to meet him next summer? Send the name to Pete too, Blackpool is not that far away from London.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I am doing my best, despite neither being the organizer nor being a Finn :).

But international attendance is up lately. Last year they had 2 international players, this year 4. Still low but the foreigners all enjoyed it and this number will probably go up as more people spread the word.

I agree, the largest Swedish tournament, and the only Swedish tournament with any significant international participation in the last 3 years that I have played ASL. Probably towards 10 foreigners each year. This year "I bring an American along" (he is visiting me before the tournament, but he would have attended anyway).
I will make carefull planning for next year, and maybe I can go to two or three tournaments abroad...

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So here is an extract from an e-mail that I received from the individual who made physical threats against a fellow D1 2019 attendee. I have added the asterisks but you should be able to work out the Anglo Saxon terminology used. The syntax is as shown:-

When you see your nasty little friend xxx xxx next, tell the c*** that I hope he dies in a fatal road traffic accident before Christmas. Frankly, the world would be a better place without scum like him - and you."

As I'm sure you can imagine, I did not expect to be on the receiving end of e-mails such as this through simply organising an ASL tournament.....
And some folks were worried about the guy carrying CCW at ASLOk this year...your guy DC sounds far more likely to "go off." He should be on the world wide ASL-ban list. Like an Interpol thing...or BOLO (Be on the Look Out)...for ........ I might want to be armed should he attend some ASL event....

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I may be a bit mistaken, but it seems to me that the individual is a bit but overwrought about some facet of the tournament or individuals. Though he does offer some alternative actions to ameliorate the situation, they do seem to be slightly overboard (at least as I see it). I might go out on a limb here, but I would be inclined to guess his future attendance at the event would be unlikely. Should he continue to grace you with his presence in the future though, I would suggest you be proactive in trying to allay his perceptions about the tournament and other players and perhaps invoke a mild reprimand for his previous seemingly mildly outlandish behavior after the fact. :rolleyes:;)

MrHonus

Honus
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Jeeze, sounds like a sweetheart.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And some folks were worried about the guy carrying CCW at ASLOk this year...your guy DC sounds far more likely to "go off." He should be on the world wide ASL-ban list. Like an Interpol thing...or BOLO (Be on the Look Out)...for ........ I might want to be armed should he attend some ASL event....
Can’t imagine.

And excessive!

If you are that angry about the guy just pick up his Sniper counter and swallow it.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
You might want consider Helsinki as well, the biggest ASL secret in Europe in my mind. A short train/bus ride away from Helsinki International Airport, and a very nice relaxed setting in an "out-of-season nightclub".
And if anyone is considering attending the Finnish Tournament you can mark our calendars for 21st - 23rd of August. 2020. The venue is the same.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The Finnish one takes usually place towards the end of August. I just wish they manage to attract more Finnish players for a start.
If you want to bring the international attendance up we will be happy to host you!?

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
If you want to bring the international attendance up we will be happy to host you!?
Actually, this year Helsinki is/was the fourth most popular european ASL tournament from an international perspective with 4 international attendees, only Grenadier, Copenhagen and Borås have/had more international attendees (unless you count the Scots at Blackpool, of course :)). London and Bad Staffelstein came in on a shared fifth place with 3 international participants, if my memory serves me right

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Bad Staffelstein with 3 international participants, if my memory serves me right
Depends on how you count:

Magnus, Matt and Tim arrived from other countries just for the tournament. Tim brought his wife along and John is originally a Scotsman (recently naturalised IIRC). Michal form Hungary had to cancel, so we could have been at 5/6 international participants. Note that we do have some capacity to pick up people at Frankfurt Ariport, should anybody consider joining in from abroad.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I hope to regularly make it for a couple of years. I will be living in the EU though so maybe it doesn't count :) -- jim