Double Bocage

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have been thinking about this a lot. I think that the Bocage terrain & rules as they stand, while truly well done, could in fact be supplemented to make their play a bit more realistic.
By realistic, I mean to find a way to work with existing rules but possibly also to include some new rules regarding terrain and Location - such as has been introduced with the latest Operation Dropzone mod, where 'gaps' are used.

It would be easy to prepare Double Bocage using 'double-lines' - straddling the hexspine (Green hedges / brown in-between). Infantry (only) could expedite movement moving between the lines, similar to movement on Narrow Streets. Possibly (maybe/maybe not) with such double-lined hexspines a 'white center dot' could be 'Located' in the middle of that hexspine. Identifying how to treat such a new Location with the existing other Rules would be the trick, but I think could be surmountable. Including this kind of new terrain along with the 'gaps' in Bocage, could be very interesting and more realistic to play.

Another new terrain type: Light Bocage - using small green blobs (like Orchards, but smaller and irregular), line them along hexspines to represent a light barrier to both movement (+1) and LOS (+1 Hind).

Another addition - Mouseholes; allowing infantry (German only) to locate (HIP or otherwise) at the intersection of 3 hexes, utilizing a single/squad Foxhole - permitting Wall Advantage LOS into all 3 hexes. This would simulate the well-documented practice by the German infantry in locating at the 'corners' of bocage. Again, establishing Location with the existing rules would be the challenge, but one that may be doable.

How to present all this via 'official' channels? I don't know, but I sure would like to make the Bocage fighting as realistic as possible.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
FYI, gaps are already handled by the official rules and BFP introduced Light Bocage in Beyond the Beachhead.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be easy to prepare Double Bocage using 'double-lines' - straddling the hexspine (Green hedges / brown in-between). Infantry (only) could expedite movement moving between the lines, similar to movement on Narrow Streets.
Stationary Bypass for Infantry?
How to present all this via 'official' channels? I don't know, but I sure would like to make the Bocage fighting as realistic as possible.
The devil will be in the details as they say. Bocage rules are relatively complex already. To make Bocage fighting as realistic as possible would certainly pile onto that. Too much?

Talent to design/test the rule -- followed by executive wisdom to include (or set aside) the results. TBD.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stationary Bypass for Infantry?

The devil will be in the details as they say. Bocage rules are relatively complex already. To make Bocage fighting as realistic as possible would certainly pile onto that. Too much?

Talent to design/test the rule -- followed by executive wisdom to include (or set aside) the results. TBD.
Yes, I suppose like Stationary Bypass for Infantry.
Too much detail in ASL is relative, but a valid concern. It should be simple - not excessive. Guys would avoid it. Not so complex as in 'Cave' rules.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Design for effect should be the way to go.
For an example, we have 80 meter wide roads in majority - Narrow Streets were a very late afterthought - to allow the existence of a Location on the road, between other terrain features.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the 40m wide hex has been stretched or compressed for various terrain rules. I believe using the existing rules one could represent that terrain with very little change to the rules as they stand already. The same for "light bocage, which was addressed by HOB/BFP in their Beyond The Beachhead offering. The biggest "problem" that I believe bocage offers now is in the designs of such scenarios. Little use is made of one lane roads or instituting VCA/TCA penalties similar to those in a wood-road hex in an SSR while incorporating bocage into the scenario (HASLs could come up with some terrain identifiers -e.g. size or depiction of a center dot- for specific instances if the entire map doesn't present such restrictive terrain).