Double Blind Scenario

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Wondering if there would be much interest in a double blind scenario format?

I'm thinking one side would basicly have their OoB with the other typical scenario stuff, but have very little if anythig on the opponenet, depending on the situation.

Would think it would need to be either on opposite sides of a scenario card (front then back).

This would kind of be what happens in CGs. You have a rough idead what you are up against, but not too sure.

I'm not thinking like scenarios where you can purchase stuff etc, as your opposnent will still have a good idea what you have.

But more of a truer double blind format.

You see what you have and set-up, your opponent does the same and then you each have a better idea as the battle unfolds.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Scenarios with variable OB slightly go that way.
Hardly knowing anything about one's opponent's OB could lead to an interesting experience, but one shouldn't hope for balance.
A referee would make the experience better.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States

I'm thinking one side would basicly have their OoB with the other typical scenario stuff, but have very little if anythig on the opponenet, depending on the situation.

Would think it would need to be either on opposite sides of a scenario card (front then back).

This would kind of be what happens in CGs. You have a rough idead what you are up against, but not too sure.

I'm not thinking like scenarios where you can purchase stuff etc, as your opposnent will still have a good idea what you have.

You see what you have and set-up, your opponent does the same and then you each have a better idea as the battle unfolds.
I've thought of this also, but using DYO. The objective is known, say, either has to take a supply depot and hold it, get from point A to B (EVP) through the "known size" of an enemy, pure CVP, whatever. Anyway, then you both purchase your OB and setup and go. I don't see an issue and think this would be fun. Add a few ? counters and both sides could really be in for a surprise as the get near each other. I think more scenarios could use DYO input to randomize things. But I suppose that might make play balance/testing more difficult.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Replayability would be very low once you have an idea what the other side is buying/what purchase options are. Probably only works once.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A referee would make the experience better.
I believe a ref would be needed for any true double blind game; they set the 'unknowns' for each player, can sketch out Recon reports regarding terrain, enemy composition & quality, secondary objectives,etc.

I don't think you can gain that kind of 'atmosphere' from a Scenario card with OOB choices &/or random start dice rolls.

Mind you, I haven't played the March madness 2012 pack, so I could be wrong :)

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm thinking more of a double blind "lite".

Each player has their own card, admittedly replay-ability (as a double blind) would be low but would be high on the FoW scale the first time.

I guess once played it could just revert to be just like every other scenario.

A bit like those sealed sections in "those" magazines. Good the fist time it's opened and then OK thereafter.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
take for example scenario A 29" Meeting of Patrols". It's perfect as double blinded scenario. Imagine two players, in two tables, seated back to back. two sets of boards, two set of counters and a referee.
Both play normally in their boards, but enemy units appear only if they are actually in los. The referee, moving from a table to the other, places the units in los on board when necessary. The nature of the scenario, where both players must try to exit from the opposite edge, and the terrain ( woods for the most part) makes the scenario exciting since you can only guess where enemy is from the beginning.

Scenarios where you know everything about setup and victory objectives of the opponent, ( for example scenario "guards counterattack"), or where one player can dominate the board and see every angle of it ( for example scenario 3rd rtr in the rain) are not good for such a kind of fun.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Both play normally in their boards, but enemy units appear only if they are actually in los.
The enemy units would appear as '?' concealed units if first seen in concealment terrain; only revealed as unconcealed units if they are in open ground, or using 4+ MF in their Movement Phase.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
The enemy units would appear as '?' concealed units if first seen in concealment terrain; only revealed as unconcealed units if they are in open ground, or using 4+ MF in their Movement Phase.
I believe they could be placed unconcealed only if not using Assault Movement or if in OG. Just to make the game as similar as possible to ordinary games.

Of course units disappearing from los are also removed form the board immediatly.

To make the referee life simpler, he should have handy a pc with VASL to check losses virtually and avoid to use the physical boards.

More than referee, I would call him Assistant to the Blind Movement.

A secret scenario specifically designed for this kind of game, played during a tournament as "special friendly event", or - even better - as decisive game for two heroic finalists willing to try a super exciting new gaming experience, making their tournament really "memorable", is definitely something worth to try.