Double Blind Scenario idea for designers

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here’s the idea for ‘scenario packs’ for certain scenarios: put the OBs in sealed envelopes. That would give at least one playing with serious FOGofWAR. Might be cool.
How about envelopes in envelopes, for instance: “Open on turn three” lol.
Another idea would be unknown or special victory conditions.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One time I was judge for a ‘double blind’ game. It was Eddie Zeman vs Scott Martin. I designed the scenario and Eddie took the Americans whom he thought were the attackers when actually everything changes on turn three or so and I put the Americans on the defense from a sudden unexpected counterattack, lol, Eddie “He’s got 3 panther tanks and I’m suppose to attack?” Me, “No, you’re actually scenario defender.” Not fair but fun.

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I have a handful of tournament sizes scenarios done since many years ago 2004-2007, never released, solo play tested 5-6 times each scenario and proofed by Klas.

Will think about how your suggestion can be applied, What must be considered is how much info should be handed out prior/during play.

• Order of battle should be secret although some Intel must be given, due to historical reasons.
  • Reveal, VCs first at start of Turn 3 or 4.
  • Who is attacker and defender must be clear. Give each player a secret hand note "Your are the defender" or "attacker" and in one scenario both players will get the same note "Your are the attacker" - Dual attack when will both players realize that the scenario is a dual attack, LOL.
  • Place ASL boxes over each side setup area.
  • etc
Think I willl run it as an Stavka Quarters event since I doubt it will work in a tournament setting.since the balance can easily stray.

The downside with the gathering will be that I cannot play but it will perhaps be fun to run an event like this - ASL the role playing game -

Think I have to have a vote among players next year if they would like to play this crazy event or a second tournament of the Secret Friendly Fire type, that was much appriciated.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a handful of tournament sizes scenarios done since many years ago 2004-2007, never released, solo play tested 5-6 times each scenario and proofed by Klas.

Will think about how your suggestion can be applied, What must be considered is how much info should be handed out prior/during play.

• Order of battle should be secret although some Intel must be given, due to historical reasons.
  • Reveal, VCs first at start of Turn 3 or 4.
  • Who is attacker and defender must be clear. Give each player a secret hand note "Your are the defender" or "attacker" and in one scenario both players will get the same note "Your are the attacker" - Dual attack when will both players realize that the scenario is a dual attack, LOL.
  • Place ASL boxes over each side setup area.
  • etc
Think I willl run it as an Stavka Quarters event since I doubt it will work in a tournament setting.since the balance can easily stray.

The downside with the gathering will be that I cannot play but it will perhaps be fun to run an event like this - ASL the role playing game -

Think I have to have a vote among players next year if they would like to play this crazy event or a second tournament of the Secret Friendly Fire type, that was much appriciated.
Exactly, “you could play this scenario here OR the one behind the curtain.” Lol

One could even allow certain choices for OB to enhance replayablity and night would be particularly interesting.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The mission might show the year and the two (three?) sides involved, maybe the location, and you would pick sides from there. Then the precise date and location and situation would be revealed. OR I guess the whole thing: sides,date, and location except the OBs could be spelt out or any combo thereof.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
One could even allow certain choices for OB to enhance replayablity and night would be particularly interesting.
In the early years of GRENADIER tournament, double blinds were held for some who did not participate in the main tournament. Some of them were moderated by Klaus Fischer (HoB back then).

Part of the OoBs could be purchased for a number of points. And, of course, you did not know the opponent's forces at all. You had your 'mission' and some 'recce reports' (which could be enhanced by spending points on them). So you knew that, say 'mechanized forces' were said to be approaching and that enemy Fighter Bombers had been quite active since the morning. Things like that.

I remember that in one of these double blinds, I played in the team of the Allies - I think it was Russians vs. Germans. We had purchased some of those SU-57(a) halftracks with 57LL guns. The Germans attacked with a spearhead of CE Panthers. We opened up on them with HMG at long range but creating enough uneasiness, so that they went BU. Then we fired at them at very long range with the SU-57s, which where hiding in some woods on a row of hills. By the rules of the game, tanks could not see much while BU. So the Germans noted that shells were falling close to their Panthers and some of those even hit the tanks without doing any sigificant damage. But for the love of God, the Germans could not 'see' from where the fire was coming exactly, nor what exact type of fire they were receiving. I.e. they did not 'know' that the 57LLs couldn't do much to them at that range. Nevertheless, it scared the hell out of them and they stopped and pulled back for the moment - buying us time to bring up reinforcements.

Then, there were also elements of the unknown and unexpected: Suddenly, we spotted Trucks approaching from the rear. After a round or two of panic (Had we been flanked?), we could discern that they were our own trucks. But our OoB did not contain any trucks. We were confused. So one guy of our team did something splendid:

He told the moderator: "I'll step out with my 9-1 onto the crossroads where the trucks will apparently soon pass. The 9-1 will block their way and stop them and ask them, what this is all about."

Klaus Fischer grinned and said: "He, Lieutenant - whadda ya think yer doin holding us up?"

Player (aka 9-1): "Who are you guys and what are you up to?"

Klaus Fischer (aka Truckers): "We are from 123th supply and searching 86th armored to drop off our load of APCR. You know where to find 86th? Do we have to take a right or left turn at this crossroads?"

Player (aka 9-1): "If you take a left, you are headed for doom, as some Panthers have just retreated into those woods over yonder. If you take a right, you are headed for death, because there are German grenadiers right behind that hill where the road takes a bend."

Klaus Fischer (aka Truckers): "Shit! Can't be. This is road N67 and we've been told it would be entirely free of the enemy."

Player (aka 9-1): "Nope, this is road N72 and you are lost like Columbus. [The N67 was on the extreme other flank of the playing area] Only Germans to the front here."

Klaus Fischer (aka Truckers): "F*! Whadda we do know? Our Sarge told us that he'll rip our a if we don't deliver the ammo."

In a stroke of genius - Player (aka 9-1): "I'll tell you: You drop off your APCR ammo right here! This here column of our tanks could well use it."

Klaus Fischer (aka Truckers): "But, but..."

Player (aka 9-1): "STFU and unload the ammo at the double NOW! If not... Well, you seem to look like volunteers to me for scouting that road to the left."

Klaus Fischer (aka Truckers): "Uh, no! Erm, we'll dump the ammo immediately."

Player (aka 9-1): "Told ya!"

This raised the APCR Depletion number for the platoon of T-85s from 5 to 8 for the game. Great fun!

von Marwitz