Doom 3 is for the birds...

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excuse me if I don't jump on the Doom 3 bandwagon. Call me a pessimist, but it doesn't look at all groundbreaking, and if the only thing is the pixel shading or how the light effects are modeled, I'll save my money, as well as the hundreds to thousands the normal gamer would have to spend to get decent framerates with it. No one I've talked to who own it have said anything other than "Cool Lighting" or "Cool Monsters!". That sealed it for me.

Honestly, the screens aren't even all that impressive. Far Cry and Full Spectrum Warrior on the XBox look better, and the upcoming Battlefield 2 looks to blow them ALL away!

I say save your money. It's just an FPS with some new lighting effects. Put the money into opening a savings account, mutual fund, or some other financial instrument that will payoff in the long term.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
is FSW coming out on PC first?

I just got my PC back and whacked in a Asus X800XT gfx card - been playing Joint Operations (Delta Force series title), and it handles that mightily - even handled the "Irene" mission from Delta Force:BHD fine (my personal benchmark - if it doesn't lag on that mission, it's a winner :D )

need something to challenge it, while not being in the domain of DM Kiddies. I tried JO online and gave up in frustration at the complete lack of tactical nouse, shown by just about everyone.

Curt: in your opinion is FSW okay of SP and CO-OP? Those being the only two modes I play. I'm tired of buying a FPS that is a multiplayer game thinly disguised as a full game...

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FSW is only on the XBox, and I don't think there are plans to port to PC yet. I play it only as an FPS, and it is fun, but it gets a bit repetitive after while. The main thing I was talking about was the graphics in comparison to Doom 3.

I've played every DF title from Novalogic, and though JO is nice, its graphics are still the same as BHD except for grass and brush in the terrain. Everything else in that game is old hat, IMO.

Look around at the screens of Battlefield 2. This game is one worth waiting for!

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure it is a good thing to start a thread recommending to people not byuing a game when you didn't play the game :)

I have it and install as we speak. I only hope my PC is up to the task.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Oh I beg to differ on Doom III. There aren't that many first person shooters that I haven't tried and this is by far one of the best. It is, however, geared toward generating a certain type of experience that will surely only appeal to selected fans of this genre.

FPS (first person shooters) come in lots of different varieties, from those that seek to model basic tactical combat like Operation Flashpoint, to those that are nothing but pure mindless running and shooting like Unreal Tournament. Some of them are very heavy on story and plot such as Half-Life, and some others border on being a mini-RPG like System Shock 2. There are all different types and many of them implement features, that although some may see as small, really add a tremendous amount to the overall experience. The Matrix-like time mode in Max Payne is a good example of this.

Some of these are truly revolutionary in the way they implement new features or completely overhaul existing ones, while others are evolutionary and simply do it bigger and better. Many would argue that Far Cry doesn't offer anything truly revolutionary, but I would argue that it does. No FPS has ever offered such incredibly realistic outdoor environments as Far Cry. If you have the PC and graphics muscle to play this one the way it was meant to be played, the outdoor environments are just awesome. This adds so much to the whole feeling of being totally immersed into this "alternate world" that you really can get into the whole story. I thought Far Cry was very good (read my review), although the actual combat is more or less only an evolutionary step up from most other FPS.

I'm about halfway through Doom III I guess. I should mention that I am one of the privileged gamers who actually has a dedicated gameroom. I always have a room in my house with all my wargame stuff, maps, books, and my PC. This system is state of the art and I can turn out the lights, turn up the volume, and play these games the way the developer intended. It's a luxury I'm lucky to have.

Doom III will not appeal to everyone. For starters, it's extremely violent and takes graphic gore to a level even I've never seen before in a PC game (and that's saying something!). I even had a guy take a chainsaw to my sorry butt last night! This game is a piece of art when it comes to creating a very dark, spooky, brooding atmosphere of fear. The levels (some are better than others) are simply incredible in the attention to detail and the truly lifelike layout. Oftentimes, FPS levels are simply a half-assed maze that the characters wander around in to play out the story. Not in Doom III. The levels are laid out like a building would be in real life. Things actually make sense for the most part and even if you don't know where something is or how it works, you can almost always apply common sense and you'll probably be right. The level design here is the best I ever seen, hands down.

Eye candy? No, the graphics in Doom III are well beyond anything any of us has ever seen in a PC game before. Even Far Cry pales in comparison to this baby. It's hard to describe the lighting and graphic effects as they simply have to be experienced in person. Screenshots are worthless as many of the effects are subtle and too difficult to describe. Now let me say this: if you play this game on anything but a mega gaming rig, you're completely missing out on much of the immersion factor. On my system the levels are borderline photo-realistic. The monsters almost look and sound "too" real, as I've has the sh*t scared out of me several times (and loved it!). And that's what Doom III is all about. Playing this game in the middle of the afternoon with the lights on would completely ruin the whole effect.

Doom III incorporates many elements from Half-Life and System Shock 2 and mixes them with one part Aliens and one part George Romero zombie movie for an experience that is . . . well, it's Doom III! If you want tactical combat and "realism," you will probably not like Doom III. If you want an excellent sci-fi/horror experience that's made to be ultra creepy and scary, then there is nothing even in the same league.

:freak:

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox,

I also have Doom 3, and I have to say, I think I am far more scared than you are! Because the game is based on sounds so much more than most FPS, I've often had to take extra precautions not to be surprised by zombies or monsters coming out of nowhere.

I love it a lot! The only gripe I have with Doom 3 is that it doesn't have subtitles. I had to go to a website that provides PDA codes (most of them are in audio logs) for cabinets and doors.

Sometimes I think I just play it so that these monsters can jump out to scare me! It's so much fun that way! Hehe....

Dan

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
is FSW coming out on PC first?
Yes, it is slated for release in September. The PC version reportedly will include two additional missions not available in the XBox Version. :D

I've been following FSW for a good bit now, and am rather impressed. I think it has alot of co-op potential since it has a command structure built in apparently. In a single player demonstration video I d/led last year, it showed how AI's could be given specific orders, such as fields of fire, and cover positions. Soldiers would not just dart out into the street either. They knew how to use cover (in the video a line of vehicles. I even noted AI's peeking around and not over cover.

Raven

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Can't tell for sure until D3 is released over here in Europe next week but i've a strong feeling it might add up to nothing more then a one week wonder?

Now the game im really looking forward to is Rome Total War which is slated in for a September release :)

Raven

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Oh I beg to differ on Doom III. There aren't that many first person shooters that I haven't tried and this is by far one of the best. It is, however, geared toward generating a certain type of experience that will surely only appeal to selected fans of this genre.

FPS (first person shooters) come in lots of different varieties, from those that seek to model basic tactical combat like Operation Flashpoint, to those that are nothing but pure mindless running and shooting like Unreal Tournament. Some of them are very heavy on story and plot such as Half-Life, and some others border on being a mini-RPG like System Shock 2. There are all different types and many of them implement features, that although some may see as small, really add a tremendous amount to the overall experience. The Matrix-like time mode in Max Payne is a good example of this.

Some of these are truly revolutionary in the way they implement new features or completely overhaul existing ones, while others are evolutionary and simply do it bigger and better. Many would argue that Far Cry doesn't offer anything truly revolutionary, but I would argue that it does. No FPS has ever offered such incredibly realistic outdoor environments as Far Cry. If you have the PC and graphics muscle to play this one the way it was meant to be played, the outdoor environments are just awesome. This adds so much to the whole feeling of being totally immersed into this "alternate world" that you really can get into the whole story. I thought Far Cry was very good (read my review), although the actual combat is more or less only an evolutionary step up from most other FPS.

I'm about halfway through Doom III I guess. I should mention that I am one of the privileged gamers who actually has a dedicated gameroom. I always have a room in my house with all my wargame stuff, maps, books, and my PC. This system is state of the art and I can turn out the lights, turn up the volume, and play these games the way the developer intended. It's a luxury I'm lucky to have.

Doom III will not appeal to everyone. For starters, it's extremely violent and takes graphic gore to a level even I've never seen before in a PC game (and that's saying something!). I even had a guy take a chainsaw to my sorry butt last night! This game is a piece of art when it comes to creating a very dark, spooky, brooding atmosphere of fear. The levels (some are better than others) are simply incredible in the attention to detail and the truly lifelike layout. Oftentimes, FPS levels are simply a half-assed maze that the characters wander around in to play out the story. Not in Doom III. The levels are laid out like a building would be in real life. Things actually make sense for the most part and even if you don't know where something is or how it works, you can almost always apply common sense and you'll probably be right. The level design here is the best I ever seen, hands down.

Eye candy? No, the graphics in Doom III are well beyond anything any of us has ever seen in a PC game before. Even Far Cry pales in comparison to this baby. It's hard to describe the lighting and graphic effects as they simply have to be experienced in person. Screenshots are worthless as many of the effects are subtle and too difficult to describe. Now let me say this: if you play this game on anything but a mega gaming rig, you're completely missing out on much of the immersion factor. On my system the levels are borderline photo-realistic. The monsters almost look and sound "too" real, as I've has the sh*t scared out of me several times (and loved it!). And that's what Doom III is all about. Playing this game in the middle of the afternoon with the lights on would completely ruin the whole effect.

Doom III incorporates many elements from Half-Life and System Shock 2 and mixes them with one part Aliens and one part George Romero zombie movie for an experience that is . . . well, it's Doom III! If you want tactical combat and "realism," you will probably not like Doom III. If you want an excellent sci-fi/horror experience that's made to be ultra creepy and scary, then there is nothing even in the same league.

:freak:
Well, I don't watch scary movies. I worked on an ambulance crew in West Germany and a few ER's here in the states, and I have seen things that would make you squirm in ways you couldn't even imagine. I don't scare easily, and I don't really WANT to be scared. I like REALISM, as in realistic games which can really happen, and fighting against another person. That is what gets me going in an FPS.

Last edited:

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Scariest game ive played is Battlefield Vietnam, you don't know where they are going to pop out from. There is another Vietnam one i played a demo of, it was just thick jungle with no open ground, that was scary to start with but frustrating in the end, always some camper with a sniper rifle hiding out in a spot that was just impossible to see.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
Well, I don't watch scary movies. I worked on an ambulance crew in West Germany and a few ER's here in the states, and I have seen things that would make you squirm in ways you couldn't even imagine. I don't scare easily, and I don't really WANT to be scared. I like REALISM, as in realistic games which can really happen, and fighting against another person. That is what gets me going in an FPS.
Yep, I understand. As I said earlier, this one isn't for everyone due to the subject matter. What is your current favorite?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Cheetah772 said:
Don Maddox,

I also have Doom 3, and I have to say, I think I am far more scared than you are! Because the game is based on sounds so much more than most FPS, I've often had to take extra precautions not to be surprised by zombies or monsters coming out of nowhere.
Dan,

I must say I never thought about that. Do you find most software to be user-friendly without sound? At any rate, I'm glad you're enjoying the thrill.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I can imagine playing Doom w/ subtitles...

MonsterA: Arrrrggghh!
*gun fire*
MonsterA: errrghh...

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I must admit, I'm more interested in modern combat, which severely limits my choices FPS wise.

SWAT3 and the Rainbow6 franchise ater for CQB, and I'm getting into the DF series with some mods I downloaded - (The Duty in Haiti missions are quite good, due to the large number of COBs). Other than that, you've got the abominable CounterStrike, and the Operation Flashpoint games.

VBS1 is by far the best tactical game I've played - but it's not a pick up and play game, which is what I'm after. Hopefully the commmand side of FSW will keep the DM kiddies at bay, and allow for some truly good co-op.

as an aside, there are a few DF:BHD co-op missions available, to my surprise - and as much as there's eye candy about, BHD has been the best (for me at least) in creating an intensity when you play. Most games I find are lacking that in some part.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Yep, I understand. As I said earlier, this one isn't for everyone due to the subject matter. What is your current favorite?
I enjoy Battlefield:1942-Desert Combat Mod the most. I can jump in and play for a few minutes then leave if I need to without feeling like I'm missing something. It can also get a bit intense at times. I also like Battlefield:Vietnam.

I'm kind of tired of the Delta Force Series becuase there are too many kiddies and cheaters.

I'm playing FSW on the XBox in singleplayer, and I enjoy it.

Mostly, though, I'm working on designing a new game.:D