Don't make it easy for hackers.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guy's.

While it's not LotRO: my son's WoW account got hacked today, all his characters were deleted (several 70's) and his bank was emptied (items & lots & lots of gold). Needless to say there was some commotion here when he discovered the loss. He's now in the process of trying to get his account restored which is apparently a complicated matter. "Are YOU who YOU say YOU are and can YOU prove YOU are YOU?" :crosseye:

Although it is "just" a game some 5 years of time spent playing gone just-like-that is quite a blow.

So DON"T give out your account name to ANYONE and don't make your password a simple one, add numbers, capital letters etc. etc.

Some "people" must have a very sad life thinking it's good fun to ruin other people's hard work & fun.

Stay safe playing out there.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can see that all the money is gone, but why would a cracker delete the characters?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
To rub it in?

Erase his tracks?

Eliminate an IP trace of what he did with it?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Update:
Blizzard reestablished his account & characters etc. (Thanks go out to them)
Apparently there are numerous bogus sites that WoW hackers setup to look like official links for WoW stuff, (a dash or something is changed in the address).
And he clicked on one sometime in the past (as did a number of players apparently), that was all they told him.

When hackers have 11+ million targets out there eventually someone will click where they shouldn't.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Update:
Blizzard reestablished his account & characters etc. (Thanks go out to them)
Apparently there are numerous bogus sites that WoW hackers setup to look like official links for WoW stuff, (a dash or something is changed in the address).
And he clicked on one sometime in the past (as did a number of players apparently), that was all they told him.

When hackers have 11+ million targets out there eventually someone will click where they shouldn't.
I'm embarrassed to say I actually fell for a spoofed ebay email recently. They come so often, and it turned out I was in the middle of a conversation with a dude about an item I hadn't paid for because of my credit card cancellation, I didn't even think about it. I just clicked the link and entered my password before I knew what I was doing. It took about 4 seconds before I realized I had been had, so I quickly went to the REAL ebay site and changed my password, but it made my heart race. And THEN made me angry that I had fallen for it.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the club. Even I had a successful spoofing once. You are tired and they push the right button for your brain to fake some email that you would react to and bang. I knew it even as I hit <return> and changed the ebay password, so no harm done.