mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Re: A cat

Sorry a lot for your loss..

Mine, a very beautiful great dane, is 7 years by now and her mother died this year being 10.. She is usually below my table when playing VASL.

View attachment 45945

Here is getting protection because thunders outside

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

Lost another one of our old pals today, Tyza. Sixteen and a half.

Vet thinks he had a major aneurism or stroke or some such so we let the poor guy go after bringing a smile to my face every time I walked through the door for the last four years.

Sigh...

View attachment 46400

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

My eldest cat, Shadow, died at 19:11 today at 19y, 4m and 17 days. That is about 93.5 human years. He was an all black cat, in his middle years quite a muscular cat. Though he started semi feral and often was too scared to come in for days, he ended up as the most stranger human tolerant of the bunch. While he was well capable in his prime of taking on any of the others, he was always quite gentle with them and took new additions under his wing. His patience and tolerance earned great love from all in the house. Clovis and Nibble will especially miss him.

I too will miss him having spent 1/3 of my life with him.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

My eldest cat, Shadow, died at 19:11 today at 19y, 4m and 17 days. That is about 93.5 human years. He was an all black cat, in his middle years quite a muscular cat. Though he started semi feral and often was too scared to come in for days, he ended up as the most stranger human tolerant of the bunch. While he was well capable in his prime of taking on any of the others, he was always quite gentle with them and took new additions under his wing. His patience and tolerance earned great love from all in the house. Clovis and Nibble will especially miss him.

I too will miss him having spent 1/3 of my life with him.
That's a good age Paul.
Sorry for your loss.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

Sorry for your loss Paul.
That's a good age Paul.
Sorry for your loss.
My condolences Paul.
Thank you all for your comments and sympathy.

He had a slow growing tumour on his flank, first noted at the start of the year. Given his great age and the likelihood of him not surviving anaesthetic, I decided that it would have been counter productive to operate. Though already aged, thin and wobbly it did not seem to slow him down much. Straining a rear leg ligament about ten days ago did. Though his appetite has not been great for many years, it only really dropped at the weekend. If he had survived to today I would have had to have him put down. I am afraid I am ultra cautious, even cowardly, in such matters, life being the only thing they have and he clung to it more than most.

Anyway my concern is now with the four remaining (Nibble, Comet, Clovis and Halo) over the next few weeks to ensure they are comforted and feel secure and safe.

Again thanks.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

Very sorry for your loss Paul, it would break my heart to go through that.
Practical things like setting up a special place for him with water and extra tempting food right beside him and litter tray closer than normal occupied my mind in the last few weeks. Having lost 14 (now including Shadow) to various causes to date, I was somewhat prepared, but likely nothing to what he might have felt. We are at best concerned bystanders to someone else's life.

Thank you.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 45577

These my comrades, hanging just above me as I type. That at right the dog I had in middle school, high school and most of uni. "Parsha" a Springer Spaniel (rescue after elderly owner died). That at left, my next dog (some 15 years later-just due to life), who I had for 12.5 years and was a rocket scientist of a dog, got me through my divorce. ""Sooty" (who I got off a jobs-site rescue) an Australian Shepherd and Lab mix. I adopted "Pearl" (again rescue at age 8) and she, a Cathoula Lepoard Hound (google that I never knew either) is alive and well, but one day too will join her comraden, but she too will always be remembered through of life.
Another comrade has fallen today...Pearl. A dog (Catahoula Leopard Hound) I rescued just under 3 years ago. Contracted lymphoma in July...fought the good fight until this morning.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another comrade has fallen today...Pearl. A dog (Catahoula Leopard Hound) I rescued just under 3 years ago. Contracted lymphoma in July...fought the good fight until this morning.
For us , they only share a small part of our lives. For them, they share with us a lifetime.

When our Mastiff had to be put down, we all took him to the vet - he had a stroke and could no longer stand at age 12. My sons came from their own homes to join us, but we had to wait a bit before the doctor could take us in the room. So as we were all sitting there, they boys were petting "bulldozer" ( not too many names one can give a 128 pound mastiff.) - and he was smiling a bit and happy to have them there with him. First time he'd been happy at all for about a week beforehand. The vet techs came over and took a picture of him lying down on a blanket at our feet, smiling, with his boys he grew up with petting him. When we put him down, the doctor, who had known him from an 8 week old puppy was tearing up with us. He had to stop and take a minute before finishing.

He went out and came back in with a bottle of Jack Daniels, and five shot glasses. He poured us all a shot and said, " Here's a toast to dog spelled backward."

Three days later - I get a call from the vet office. The tech said we need to come down right away. So we go that evening. They are all standing there with a large picture frame and the picture of our dog with us form that morning, happy at last. The picture frame read " Dogs Leave Paw Prints all Over Your Heart....."

Why I use that vet office. They care about the animal, and the owners, not when you are going to pay the bill.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My dog is a chihuahua named Stanledo. I'm going to bring him to Oktoberfest again.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Delayed condolences...and thank you for rescuing dogs.

Since we lost Tyza and Belle our two really old dogs last year (17 an 16), we've undergone a period of fostering, rather than adopting. We've so far short term fostered half a dozen dogs whilst permanent homes have been found for them. We've come close to failing (ie. failing as fosterers and adopting the dog we fostered) twice, but were strong enough to let them move on with the best interests for the dog in mind.

We've found nothing more fulfilling in life yet than seeing the dogs we helped save, living a full and great life in their new homes. And we look forward to seeing them when we call in on our travels like me and wifey are a pair of schoolkids on our way to summer camp.

If anyone hasn't ever considered it, rehoming charities are desperate for fosterers and it's really quite rewarding. It also helps fit dog ownership in with perhaps a busy lifestyle not really entirely conducive to owning a dog full time. We think this is probably the future for us.

Though, I have to say, saying goodbye to these dogs even in 'nice' circumstances as a real gut wrencher

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
For us , they only share a small part of our lives. For them, they share with us a lifetime.

When our Mastiff had to be put down, we all took him to the vet - he had a stroke and could no longer stand at age 12. My sons came from their own homes to join us, but we had to wait a bit before the doctor could take us in the room. So as we were all sitting there, they boys were petting "bulldozer" ( not too many names one can give a 128 pound mastiff.) - and he was smiling a bit and happy to have them there with him. First time he'd been happy at all for about a week beforehand. The vet techs came over and took a picture of him lying down on a blanket at our feet, smiling, with his boys he grew up with petting him. When we put him down, the doctor, who had known him from an 8 week old puppy was tearing up with us. He had to stop and take a minute before finishing.

He went out and came back in with a bottle of Jack Daniels, and five shot glasses. He poured us all a shot and said, " Here's a toast to dog spelled backward."

Three days later - I get a call from the vet office. The tech said we need to come down right away. So we go that evening. They are all standing there with a large picture frame and the picture of our dog with us form that morning, happy at last. The picture frame read " Dogs Leave Paw Prints all Over Your Heart....."

Why I use that vet office. They care about the animal, and the owners, not when you are going to pay the bill.
They are worth their weight in gold. Because my wife used to help run a small rehoming charity, she knows the local vet intimately and has become almost a first staging point for any waifs or strays which reach the vet.

She took in a 13 year old Golden Retriever called Sandy about six months back. Owners had dropped her off. "We want her put down". No reason given. The Vet refused. But gave them the alternative of leaving the dog with the Vet to rehome it. They basically didn't give a ****. Just wanted rid of the dog. We fostered Sandy for about a month. She was then rehomed down in the Midlands with a family who live in the countryside. She's now having a great life. There was, and is, absolutely no reason why she should have put down. Great teamwork between vet and wider public to save a wonderful dog.

Same vet sends us condolence cards on the loss of our dogs over the years. And she refused to charge the charity when one of the dogs we'd taken from her had to be put to sleep a couple of years back. He came to us with some issues which turned out to be advanced Kidney failure so we kept him until his quality of life had reduced to such an extent that it was unfair to let him labour on (even though he lived life to the full still).

Your story was really uplifting. Reminded me of our Border Collie who we had to put to sleep last year. She'd struggled with vestibular syndrome for three or so years but managed to always recover well. Ultimately it took her. But my story is of the time six months before this. She had a really bad bout of it which floored her. She was also incontinent at the time. Fully incontinent, meaning it took a lot of managing (which we did. Difficult but whilst overall quality of life is good, worth the work). So she's lied down after this vestibular attack and after three days, unusually she was not improving. We both decided that it was more than like 'her time' and made the arrangements for the Vet to come around to our house.

That last evening, we invited family and friends around to say goodbye. It was all very teary and sad. But she'd had a great life. Fantastic in fact. Especially as she was a failed working dog whom the farmer was intending to shoot...bastard.

Next morning, an hour before Vet was due. Me and Ness are sat quietly in the living room with the dog lied in her basket where she'd lain for best part of a week. Up she jumps. Out the back door. Ablutions. A wander. A bit of a bark at next doors cat. Walks in, hangs around the bowl for some food. Me and wifey sat there gorping at each other. It was unbelievable. We asked the Vet to come round to take a look simply so that she didn't feel that we were being selfish. She took one look. Did some checks. Uttered "that's actually a miracle". And went off to work. We had some very odd phone calls to make and Facebook messages of condolence to address !

Belle was with us another six months. We enjoyed that six months despite the challenges. And we miss her like hell.

Dogs grrrrrrr

Last edited:

aryianna

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently had to put down my miniature dachshund Loki after a year long fight of trying to keep him from chewing his back legs off. He ruptured a disc in his back last year and had surgery but it failed and he was paralyzed. After trying everything I could think of and him having basically chewed down to the bone one night I made the tough decision to let him go so he wasn't in pain (or having phantom pain driving him crazy). This was two weeks ago and I've had such a tough time. I'd had him 8 years and he was my baby. I wasn't going to get another one so soon but like a dog lover I did still look. Two days ago this little guy captured my eye and already has my heart. On the top is Loki and on the bottom is my new addition Gideon.

View attachment 50989

View attachment 50988