Does claiming WA after movement create a First Fire/SFF exception?

labelcd6

Reaction score
First name
Carl
Country
llUnited States
The rules seem to be clear that first fire and SFF are MP/MF-dependent.

However, I have been wrestling with these lines buried in the wall advantage section of B in one of the examples:

If the 4-4-7 (or the 6-2-8 in Q7) First Fires now, the attack will be subject to building TEM. After this the 4-6-8 may still claim WA (since it has not yet completed its MPh) even if not spending additional MF, but if doing so the 4-4-7 may (Subsequent) First Fire subject to the hedge TEM [...]
So the 468 moves into a building hex which has some hedges. The 468 gets the building TEM unless otherwise claiming WA. Per 9.322 the 468 can claim WA after its MF expenditure. This I get.

It also makes logical/realistic sense that units leaving a building to huddle near a wall could be fired upon.

However, this seems to be an exception to first/sff rules. Am I right?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't think it's an exception per se - later on in the same example it says: "(assuming the DEFENDERs haven’t exhausted their First Fire capability based on the three MF expended when entering the Location)."

I.e., the 4-6-8 could be fired on vs its MF expenditure to enter the building; just because it later claims WA (spending 0 MF), it can stil be fired upon vs its latest MF expenditure.

Same thing with e.g., a BU AFV that enters an Open Ground he (1 MP), no defensive first fire vs it. If it then goes CE, defensive first fire can be conducted vs the CE AFV on that 1 MP expenditure it used to enter the Open Ground hex.

labelcd6

Reaction score
First name
Carl
Country
llUnited States
Good comparison on the BU/CE example.

So on the WA example:

1. Given the WA claim after 3MF expenditure, could the defender first, subsequent, and FPF if the defender did not initially fire?
  2. Given the WA claim after 3MF expenditure, could the defender first and subsequent if the defender did not initially fire?
  3. Given the WA claim after 3MF expenditure, could the defender first fire (only) if the defender did not initially fire?
Thanks!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Since it expends 3 MF to enter hex Q6 - enemy units can fire at it three times each. I.e., #1.