Does Broken Ground have...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm aware of ABS, but have no idea how it operates.
pp.167-168 of Scenario Designer's Handbook discusses it in detail. But you can find the short version here:

The ABS is an alternate method of providing balance (and a side- bidding system) for a scenario. The standard ASLRB method of scenario balance involves a single option for each side in a scenario. (This method is described in A26.5.) The ABS (so named because it was invented by an Australian ASL player, Dave Longworth, and tested at Australian tournaments) uses a three-tiered system of balance for each side. The higher the level of balance for a side, the more that side gives up. Official scenarios published by TAHGC do not use the ABS, but you will often see "amateur" scenarios make use of it. It is especially popular at tournaments, and sometimes you will see official scenarios have ABS "retrofitted" to them for more variety.
More detail here:

The system allows players to rate a scenario at one of 7 levels, from Sure Axis Win to Sure Allied Win. The players bid for which side they want by offering the handicap level they are willing to give to play that side. The winner of the bid gets their chosen side while his opponent gets the benefit of the bid handicap.

The sequence is as follows:
  1. Each player secretly writes down which side he wishes to play and then reveals their choice. If the players chose different sides, then each gets the side chosen with out any handicap or balance provision.
  2. If both players want the same side, then each secretly records what handicap level (0 to 3) they are willing to take to play that side. A handicap of 0 is no change (the scenario is played as written).
  3. The players reveal their bid and the player who bid the highest wins the side. His opponent gets the other side with the bid handicap.
Scenario Handicaps

In general, the handicap level 1 is the balance provision listed on the scenario card. For higher level handicaps, you need to refer to the published ABS handicaps.

Handicaps for scenarios ASL 1-34 and DASL 1-18 are available at ASL Webdex.
I think Tom is suggesting you could make chits to draw before the game to see which of the provisions you could apply, at random. Possibly also in secret.

Probably want to make "0" more common than "3".

So something like - five "0" chits per side, three "1" chits, two "2" chits and one "3" chit?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking of all the permits of Nationality + 0-3 bid, plus generic Axis/Allied 0-3 bids, plus No Bid. Two sets of each because both players may want to bid the same :)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I was thinking of all the permits of Nationality + 0-3 bid, plus generic Axis/Allied 0-3 bids, plus No Bid. Two sets of each because both players may want to bid the same :)
Ah, for the normal bidding process - yes, I think Alan should jump on this.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
pp.167-168 of Scenario Designer's Handbook discusses it in detail. But you can find the short version here:
More detail here:
I think Tom is suggesting you could make chits to draw before the game to see which of the provisions you could apply, at random. Possibly also in secret.

Probably want to make "0" more common than "3".

So something like - five "0" chits per side, three "1" chits, two "2" chits and one "3" chit?
Ah, for the normal bidding process - yes, I think Alan should jump on this.
I can affirm that both of you know what you're talking about.
?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would love to see MMP, BFP, LfT, DftB, SP, FrF, etc go back and supply us with a list of ABS for their scenarios. I would use that all the time. I love the game within a game aspect of ABS.

...and I would buy a set of ABS counters too.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
If you can figure out the ground pressure and top speed of a Rauppenschlepper, you've got this, too.
But then you have to specify as to which version ie rounded cab Squared off cab , The one with the 20mm FlaK, Ambulance, Amphibious one, Mountain troop One with FlaK, the PaK 40 one etc

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
But then you have to specify as to which version ie rounded cab Squared off cab , The one with the 20mm FlaK, Ambulance, Amphibious one, Mountain troop One with FlaK, the PaK 40 one etc
Ja - I was under the impression he has done all that work, and more.....

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wouldn't a set of nationality-specific (precision) dice work better, be more compact? ;)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And don't go half-arsing this, with the same boring old nationality rondels we're used to. I want the American chit to scream MURICA. I'm thinking a collage of truly Murican things like cheeseburgers, guns, and of course, Chuck Norris.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There's an amphibious one?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And don't go half-arsing this, with the same boring old nationality rondels we're used to. I want the American chit to scream MURICA. I'm thinking a collage of truly Murican things like cheeseburgers, guns, and of course, Chuck Norris.
So, another Humour set?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No! I spent months trying to get the vehicle notes done for the last lot!
In fact, I still haven't launched myself at the Japanese vehicles.....(shudder)