Does anyone think this would be useful?

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I've created a custom language definition in NotePad++ to make OOB files more readable when editing. The syntax colours are applied automatically as you edit, and are a help with preventing and detecting errors in your OOB.

Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 43497

Note that no changes are made to the file itself, just how it's presented when being edited.

I think it might take some of the tedium out of OOB editing.

H

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like folks who help folks. Post it to the "Misc Files" section of "Downloads".

Be well

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, this could be useful. Note that Domink Derwinski has an OB editor that has error checking in it already.

Notepad++ is useful in that it identifies the opening and closing statements in a unique color. But Dominik's tool works best.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
But Dominik's tool works best.
I could never get it to work at all. Just opening an existing OOB file seems beyond it. According to the instructions it needs a .inf file that doesn't even seem to exist...

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He has definition files for all of the games supported by the editor. You need to have that file in the main game folder.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Thanks for the pointers, but still no joy. I located those files and downloaded them, but the program either gives an invalid argument error or just crashes every time, which is a pity, because it does look pretty useful. If it worked.

I think I'll stick with the text editor. A utility is supposed to make things easier, not more difficult.

Schweinewitz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Does anyone have a link to the above mentioned OB editor by Domink Derwinski? Can't be found in Gamesquad's Download section.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nikel would know the answer to that, as he is good at finding things; whereas I could not find an elephant in a haystack. He has disappeared off the radar, so we have to powder our own bottoms before diaper change. :upset:
I believe, that it only works with the old John Tiller Battleground Napoleonic games series and files associated with them.......

Schweinewitz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I believe, that it only works with the old John Tiller Battleground Napoleonic games series and files associated with them.......
Do you think so? That tool was mentioned in the several threads last year and therefore may be compatible with the new stuff. Couldn't find it anywhere though ... :rolleyes:

Be it as it may, ATM I'm using good old Win Editor to add dozens of new units to the games. Hell lot of work but so much rewarding that it can almost get obsessive. :laugh:

View attachment 45669

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Fwiw - if it is the same one that I am thinking of - I believe that the guy quit working on it sometime in 2009 or 2010.

Based upon the pace at which the engines involved have changed, as a going concern it is probably less useful than learning how to do it in Notepad anyway, although I don't suppose my answer would have been the same, however if it had been fully developed. If you do ever find the guy, you might be able to ask for a copy -I am not aware that it was ever made available on sites.