Does anyone know when "The Fight For Hue" will be available?

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thank You for the pics!

Looks good everything so far in my opinion. I hope I will ever see this stuff on my table. I just ordered it from CH directly.

Can anybody answer this question: Did they make M60 LMGs for the ARVN and USMC in this module?
[Comment: In LZ-X Ray they made M60 MMG only (the M60 version with the tripod) and I asked me why they decided to do this. As I know (by reading books and articles) the two M60 machine-guns of a platoon in Vietnam were used commonly within the squads and not in a special weapon section and they were used in the field as the "light" version with the bipod. Its even hard to find pics of a tripod mounted M60 machine-gun in the field in Vietnam. Of course these versions were there (see attached file), but more often they were used as the bipod version. A very strange decision, I think.]

Attachments

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank You for the pics!

Looks good everything so far in my opinion. I hope I will ever see this stuff on my table. I just ordered it from CH directly.

Can anybody answer this question: Did they make M60 LMGs for the ARVN and USMC in this module?
[Comment: In LZ-X Ray they made M60 MMG only (the M60 version with the tripod) and I asked me why they decided to do this. As I know (by reading books and articles) the two M60 machine-guns of a platoon in Vietnam were used commonly within the squads and not in a special weapon section and they were used in the field as the "light" version with the bipod. Its even hard to find pics of a tripod mounted M60 machine-gun in the field in Vietnam. Of course these versions were there (see attached file), but more often they were used as the bipod version. A very strange decision, I think.]
Good question re the M-60's. Most of the photos I've seen of marines in Hue show the bipod version in use.
I'm curious as to the Ontos rules, and if the mechanical mule-mounted 106's are included.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

In Hue module ,yes for both (ARVN have seven M60 LMG counters, and USMC have 10.)

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm curious as to the Ontos rules, and if the mechanical mule-mounted 106's are included.[/QUOTE]

Ontos treated as AFV with ROF of 3. Possible to use Acquisition and Multiple Hits when it fires. Crew has to be outside the AFV to attempt any Repair. CE fire NA, and Backblast zone is rear CA. Has AF of (circled) 8 and (regular) 6, CS5 and Special Ammo of WP5 and Bee5 (Beehive rounds, 20FP on IFT,similar to Canister.)

Mules with 106's also included for USMC.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 2654 View attachment 2655 View attachment 2656 View attachment 2657 View attachment 2658

Pics of the 4 Hue countersheets (ARVN sheet posted twice as show bit more closeup.)
I'm surprised to see individual counters for the LAWs, I would have expected the rules for this weapon to have been along the lines of the Panzerfaust. Looks like they left out the flamethrowers and DC's for the USMC as well.

Unless I'm not seeing all of the counter sheets, there should be quad .50 gun trucks and M42 Dusters as well, as these vehicles were used during the Marine's initial attempts to enter the city and reinforce the MACV compound during the first days of the battle.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the south Vietnamese government wanted to keep the damage to Hue down as best as possible, so having DC's and FT's might go against such a policy. The Americans were also hampered by not being allowed to call in artillery on Hue.

I'm surprised to see individual counters for the LAWs, I would have expected the rules for this weapon to have been along the lines of the Panzerfaust. Looks like they left out the flamethrowers and DC's for the USMC as well.

Unless I'm not seeing all of the counter sheets, there should be quad .50 gun trucks and M42 Dusters as well, as these vehicles were used during the Marine's initial attempts to enter the city and reinforce the MACV compound during the first days of the battle.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I think the south Vietnamese government wanted to keep the damage to Hue down as best as possible, so having DC's and FT's might go against such a policy. The Americans were also hampered by not being allowed to call in artillery on Hue.
I think they were banned from air strikes but could use art as long as not near the palace inside the citadel. I thought FTs were banned under international treaty by now?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was certainly true during the first days of the battle, when higher level U.S. commanders in Phu Bai and beyond refused to accept that the NVA and VC had taken over most of the city. During the initial unsuccessful counterattacks, the Marine's were prohibited from firing the 90mm/FT MA on their M-48's. Eventually after the extent of the communist takeover was realized, the prohibition on using heavy weapons was lifted. In fact, the Ontos, mule-mounted 106's and DC's were used extensively for breaching walls and buildings as movement in the streets was resulting in too many casualties.

Regarding air strikes and flamethrowers, South Vietnamese Air Force was the first to conduct Air strikes, primarily in the area of their perimeter near the northeast corner of the citadel. Although allied air strikes would probably not have been allowed initially, the De facto limitation on air support was the very low cloud ceiling which was present for most of the battle. In the end, the heavy weapon usage prohibition was rescinded and nearly 80% of Hue, including the citadel was reduced to rubble by the end of the battle.

As for the flamethrowers, I have read recently that the marines in Hue did use flamethrowers to a limited extent. I'm not familiar with international treaties regarding weapons of war, however I know from personal experience that man-portable flamethrowers were a part of the USMC inventory until the mid-1970's when these weapons were replaced by the M202 MPFW.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
In LZ-X Ray the M72 is a 16-6 and the Thumper Gunners are 3-4-9. Here the corresponding values are 6-5 for the M72 and 1-4-9 for the gunners. Is it clarified that the old values are wrong?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
In LZ-X Ray the M72 is a 16-6 and the Thumper Gunners are 3-4-9. Here the corresponding values are 6-5 for the M72 and 1-4-9 for the gunners. Is it clarified that the old values are wrong?
I would say the only thing you can be sure about is that LZ-X Ray was ported over from ATS by one designer and Hue was probably done by another designer. I also like the Hue rules say my helicopter rules will be included in a forthcoming product(s) and will require CH's ASLComp Helicopter Chapter and Play Aid available on their website (but I was not able to find it). But still looking forward to giving this a go.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am sure Mark P will give it a glowing endorsement. His favorite company.
How nice to snap at him for free at about any occasion and in absentia, of course.
As long as you feel better, give yourself that pleasure.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He wasn't banned from the forum, correct?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Who Pitman? I doubt it but if he was it only lasts for a few weeks. I think his job has him off fighting neo-nazis (he was on NPR a few weeks ago).