Does anyone here cast their own miniatures?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Have you ever made your own designs from scratch? If so, what kind have you done?

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have done a few things in resin for models (road wheels and tires), but nothing like an actual mini.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I can do fairly extensive custom work on plastic models (mostly armor), but miniatures is a different ball game and uses different materials. I have no experience casting minis using metal.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,while I've not yet cast any metals, I am in the process of modeling a couple 30mm Samurai.There are some good resources online with tips on sculpting,and Micro Mark has some metals used for casting miniatures along with dvds and instructional booklets.Hope this helps.

WaroftheSendros

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
hi guys,

I've done a lot of work on my own models, and I've personally found that (though a little costly) the easiest method is to design the basic model on CAD or some other design program before having it printed in 3D, then applying additional detail with GS, or your chosen material. This provides a nicer base for creating the initial mould, and by doing the detail after 3D printing you can add a lot more fine detail to the original.

War of the Sendros