Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While I was reluctant to opine, something about the fabric seems to me to pre-WW2, so WW1 might be right. Though you might have seen similar cloth used state side early in WW2. If 4 sources were paralleling regiments that would mean pre-WW2 when the USA went from a square division of 2 Brigades of 2 Regiments to triangular with 3 regiments.

I know that colour reproduction can be haphazard even with the best cameras and photographers, but the shade is not one usually I associate with WW2. The speckled colouring and coarse weave suggests wool with older, less fast or fade resistant dyes. Again suggesting pre-WW2, might well be WW1.

Take all that with a large quantity of salt, those are just vague impressions and niggles of mine.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I have been looking at some more pictures (like I said, this always triggers me to do some searching), and I agree with Paul. I think this might be a pre-WWII, possibly WWI or post-WWI, US Army great or trench coat.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well...here is one picture for you guys...and this gentleman has been confirmed as being in WWII. Waiting on some more stuff...

Img_0498.jpg

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ribbons I see: Meritorious Unit Commendation, Good conduct, one I can't identify, asia-pacific campaign, world war 2 victory, Philippine liberation.

I am wondering if the two pins in question are not army, as I don't think that where they are is a place one puts a pin. Some kind of veterans organization? I could easily be wrong.

JR

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ribbons I see: Meritorious Unit Commendation, Good conduct, one I can't identify, asia-pacific campaign, world war 2 victory, Philippine liberation.

JR
The other one is the American Theater Campaign/Service Medal

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been watching this thread and now seeing the uniform I think the item in question is a unit crest of a coast artillery command, possibly one on the southern coast of the US. But I could not find it in this document: http://cdsg.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/FORTS/CACunits/CACinsignia.pdf So it could be some other kind of area, logistics or administrative command distinctive unit insignia.

The items pinned on the uniform looks to be put on by someone who didn't really know what they are doing as they are a bit haphazard, but the Distinctive Unit Insignia did go on the lapels during WWII for enlisted men.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The shoulder patch on the right shoulder could be the 31 ID insignia. Worn on the right shoulder it would indicate former service in the unit, which would be consistent with the ruptured duck on the breast. The campaign ribbons would be consistent with the 31 ID, which participated in the liberation of the Philippines. I will guess that the pins are from a 31 ID veterans association.

JR

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
The badge on the left on the breast pocket is a US Army Mechanic badge, the one on the right a US Army Marksman Rifle badge.

The blue rank insignia on the right arm is for a Technician 4th Grade (T/4).

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
The buttons on the uniform seem to be of the great seal type, introduced in 1902.

And there is a Signal Corps brass collar disc on the left collar.

Last edited:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The shoulder patch on the right shoulder could be the 31 ID insignia. Worn on the right shoulder it would indicate former service in the unit, which would be consistent with the ruptured duck on the breast. The campaign ribbons would be consistent with the 31 ID, which participated in the liberation of the Philippines. I will guess that the pins are from a 31 ID veterans association.

JR
By the paint, and style of the pins, they look very much to be Distinctive Unit Insignia. They certainly are of some obscure unit or command. Being a Signals soldier though, it is very possible this guy was assigned to some sort of command or other administrative unit.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Request made for additional pictures...and I'll post as soon as I receive them...:)
The left sleeve patch will tell us unit of assignment and hopefully then it will point us towards the the Distinctive Unit Insignia of that unit or subordinate unit.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
https://history.army.mil/books/wwii/Guard-US/ch4.htm#b2 pg 95:

The defense of the Gulf coast from Florida westward came under the tactical direction of the Southern Defense Command on 24 December 1941. On that date the commander of the Third Army and Southern Defense Command, Lt. Gen. Walter Krueger, established a small separate defense command staff, and through it controlled the Army forces specifically allocated to the defense of the Gulf coast and Southern Land Frontier.56 The strength of the forces allocated to coastal defense remained nominal from the beginning and did not include any combat air forces. As was the case in the other defense commands, General Krueger could use his Third Army troops to reinforce the coastal forces in an emergency.57 But the Southern Defense Command was virtually helpless to deal with the only real enemy threat that developed in its area-the German submarines that began to operate off the Gulf coast during May 1942.58

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still have not received additional pictures of the uniform...but I was indirectly put in touch with a professional researcher at the National Archives.

Who knows? Maybe the mystery will be solved one day...:)

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still have not received additional pictures of the uniform...but I was indirectly put in touch with a professional researcher at the National Archives.

Who knows? Maybe the mystery will be solved one day...:)

Hope so, I'm interested to find out too.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
+1

I have tried to find some more information, but didn't make any further progress...