Does anybody know...

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Update:

The last cryptic (soft of) message I received from the professional researcher seems to indicate he found the insignia in a book called "Order of battle, U.S. Army, World War II by Shelby Stanton that indicated it was the 31st ID crest. At least that's my interpretation of what he wrote...:)

I have asked him if he could scan that page and PDF it to me...but I have not heard back.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Finally found something:

202285371240_1_0_1.jpg

This has the following text on the search:
militaryauction.org
$20.0 US Army 31st Division RECON DI DUI CREST CB 5d Hmk (x0031)

I can't find the image on militaryauction.org, so google may have an old auction.

From what I read, it is not the crest of the 31st ID but the crest of a distinctive unit (DUI=distinctive unit insignia) of perhaps recon within the 31st ID.

JR

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, if we now know that it is 31st Division, maybe contacting that division / its historian or the division / division's historian that keeps up the tradition of the 31st in case it has been disbanded, would be a opening to finally solve the mystery.

von Marwitz

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Pretty sure that it has to do with the Signal Corps. Orange in combination with white is the traditional color used for this arm. The uniform also showed a Signal badge...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You could easily be right. I was going off the snippet of auction information, but that may be wrong.

JR

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just read this today, and find it interesting. I was in the signal corps, and know they have/ had a small number of signal recon units designed to locate enemy transmitters, so this could all fit together.