Doctor Sinister vs. Berkut37, October 1944, CM:BO.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We have just concluded our battle and I am pleased to report a total victory on my part.

Unfortunately...it was a non-Ladder game!!! :eek: :OHNO: :cry: :surprise:

Anyway, heeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrre weeeeeeeeeeeee gooooooooooooooooo...........

Piccy 1 shows the map. It was raining, very miserable. North was to the right. As usual, I was playing the Nazi hordes, my opponent was the good old U-S-of-A.

My assembly zone was to the bottom as you look at this picture.

We had 2,00 points to spend, I invested in two Infantry Companies, some sharpshooters, a few HMGs, a couple of 75mm arty spotters, 4 Pumas and 4 Lynx Light Tanks.

Picture 2 shows the terrain in a bit more detail. The objective, a small French town, was in a small valley between us. It would be a race to get there first and occupy it...

I installed some HMGs in a 2-storey building covering the valley (Picture 3), along with one of my spotters and a sharpshooter. Another nest of HMGs occupied some scattered trees off to the right. Knowing that I had a good view of the whole valley and that enemy troops would come into view almost immediately, my intention was to pin down the advancing Allied soldiers whilst I ran my own men into the town. I decided that my HMG positions to the left in the 2-story building were good enough that they could stay there unsupported, so one Company of troops were dispatched down the middle of the map, the other to the right. My entire complement of armour accompanied the men on my right flank. Since areas of ground here were hidden, I anticipated being able to spring the jaws of a trap on my opponent by swinging my armour column around his left flank and hitting his rear once he was committed in the town.

Right from the first move, our troops were engaged. My opponent had decided to invest HEAVILY in Half-Tracks, there were loads of the damned things.

Having a complete hatred of all things Half-Track-like, I decided I would be doing the world a favour by eliminating them. Also, I knew I had to run my troops like buggery into that town to beat his vehicles. So off they went.

They made it.

Occupying several buildings before the Half-Tracks were able to disgorge their troops, my opponent remarked that he had "seen it all" now - my men had outrun his vehicles. He knew it would be a hell of a job to get them out of the town.

My men began to get comfy. Some of them even unpacked their sandwiches and sleeping bags.

Things got very bloody once the artillery started flying, and some of my positions were blasted pretty convincingly. My own artillery spotters concentrated on an area of open ground that I knew my enemy would have to cross to get to me. I am not sure if it was all that effective, but I know I saw some units break and run away at various points.

My HMG strongpoints worked very well, pinning down the American troops as they headed into the town, allowing my own men to get a firm foothold. Things were going so well I was able to divert my second Company from the right hand side of the map and send it on a dog-leg course into the town to support the men already there. Thus, I was able to feed a constant stream of reinforcements into the fray, all under cover of my artillery and HMG fire.

My HMGs even began to account for enemy Half-Tracks, and then, the coup de gras, although I had lost a few vehicles, I was able to feed a fairly sezeable column of armour around my right flank (his left) whereupon they began to open fire on his men in the town from a vantage point by a small Church.

At this point, the American troops surrendered (Picture 4) and Total Victory was mine.

This was my first CM:BO game against a human opponent, but to be fair to my opponent, I think I had the advantage of terrain right from the start, and a small hidden valley to feed in my armour.

I won't repeat the highly complementary comments my opponent said about my performance in the battle as I'm sure it was a fluke on my part.

It's all for naught anyway as it was just a "friendly". Typically, I always do well in "friendlies" but get my arse kicked in Ladder games. Ho-hum.

Anyway, thanks to Berkut37 for the game and I'm really sorry.

Dr. S.

Last edited:

Berkut37

Reaction score
Country
ll
dead as disco

Well, i am mentioned in an AAR, finally...& one of Doc sinisters to boot, I feel honoured...somewhat.

I got my :censored: well and truely kicked in this one.

We used fionns recce rules & a setup of 2000 pts.

I decided to go for a rifle company and gave them plenty of transport. They had M8's and a 4 stuarts. A couple of FOOs.
It was a huge mistake.

I forgot that in CM:BO troops can easily run for long distances without getting winded. In some cases they can even outrun vehicles on rough terrain.

I needed more boots on the ground & paid for it with a force that started to break midway through the game. It had opened with me knocking out more than a few of his light armour. But when I saw that Axis Horde racing through the rain towards the town, I ken I was in trouble.

Then arty started to fall, knocking out halftracks on the way in. Others simply got bogged down & were abandoned.

Although I got to the main objective, only two platoons made it. They simply got swamped. One platoon routed the other was pinned down and simply unable to cope.

the heavy weapons platoon, although in a good position were not able to much but pin down a few units. my arty was quite effective and I busted more than a few heads.

The only fluke incident i saw was a stuart being taken out by a shrek at 209 metres...that was damned annoying.

Would I use half tracks again? Probably but not in CM:BO

I do have a vast fleet of them in the tourney but this experience has forced me to :censored: :censored: :censored: and whats more :censored:

:D

Well done that man.