Do you use the stock enemies from your campaign world, or do you make your own?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
How many of you create your own monsters or enemies on a regular basis? Do you think this is a useful way to spice up an adventure?

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I want to participate where possible in these threads, but part of my problem lies in the simple problem, I run Alternity, and not Dungeons and Dragons (by any combinations of numbers and letters).

Alternity, is a design that uses a 20 sided dice, and on the surface, makes it seem like a d20 concept. But, it uses only 4 class types. It uses 6 ability scores, and they are arrived at by just spending 60 points, and keeping them within racial minimums and maximums. Virtually any action is resolved by rolling the d20, and either subtracting a dice roll to make for an easy attempt, or adding a dice roll, and making the attempt harder. You can use any manner of dice as the add on dice type.

Makes for really easy gaming too.

Makes for very straight forward generation of NPCs additionally.
Or, as is often the case, I just basically fake it by hamming it up.

So, as far as using stock enemies, nope, in most cases, the details of the enemy will be lucky to even exist on paper, let alone be based on anything officially published.

I raid official publications mostly for ideas. Thus, my monsters might share a lot in common with something published, but, I won't be feeling constrained to use anything published.

String

Reaction score
Country
llEstonia
In the games I did for the kids in the RPG Summer camp I used the stock Monsters manual monsters because i had so little time to prepare my games and I was a bit lazy too.

For other games though I used to use some monster from MM as a template for convenience and then I modified it and gave it a wholly different appearance to confuse the players and suit my needs.

Most of my enemies tended to be NPC's though and most of these I made up on spot, giving them attack bonuses and HP's as I saw fit and making up ability scores and saves as they became necessary.

I don't DM D&D anymore though.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
I want to participate where possible in these threads, but part of my problem lies in the simple problem, I run Alternity, and not Dungeons and Dragons (by any combinations of numbers and letters).
You will note I didn't mention D&D in any way, shape, or form in this post. I merely asked a question about what type of enemies (I didn't even call them "monsters") you use in your roleplaying world.

These forums are for all sorts of roleplaying, so if you don't see a thread to your liking -- start one up. Threads are free so take one! :D

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Actually Don, I'm trying to restrain myself, so that I don't end up dominating the place hehe.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stock monsters modified to fit the situation I need them for...

Maedhros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've created my own universe using FUDGE as the engine. Thus, there are no "stock" monsters. However, I have borrowed some interesting creatures from other games (such as the Scorpion People from Powers and Perils).

I also like to tweak the "standard" race stereotypes. For example, I have Orcs in my world, but they are not the mindless hordes that you usually find. In my world, Orcs are "savage" in the sense that they are not "civilized," but they have codes and mores to which they adhere. I also have Elves, but they are more "Elfquest" elves than Tolkien elves. Dwarves are martial and xenophobic.

No halflings, though.