Do you talk to your dice and do they listen?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A recent article said researchers had determined cats can tell when they are being spoken to. It went on to discuss the changes in the human's vocalizations when speaking to their cat. Btw this is obvious to anyone who owns a cat or dog.

I got to thinking about talking to my dice and realized it was something that went back to my earliest days of gaming. At our Saturday Risk games in Junior High we would invoke the name of our current heart's desire before rolling.

Playing Yahtzee it was " hotsie totsie another Yahtzee ".

During the SL/ ASL days it was mainly " eyes "!

Of course none of this worked and was just silly stuff. Probably. But it can't hurt and adds color to the proceedings.

Do you talk to your dice? What are your favorite utterances or expletives?

Btw the study concluded cats know their names and when they are being spoken to. They just don't care. Again bleedingly obvious to anyone who has ever lived with a cat.🙄

Last edited:

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When my dice roll high, I threaten them with Siberia.
If they continue to make losing rolls, they are left in the freezer for a couple of weeks.
Hard to believe, but they always roll better after coming back from Siberia.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Since Covid I have been banished to the war room bunker. VASL is the way of the dice warrior/ worrier! The dice bot rules? My balanced dice sit by my dice tower sneer and snigger and say “ see how you miss me now!!!” “ we were kinder to you , you miss your precious Now!!!!” 😂

Ahh but those days are…….?

But then I’ve never traveled virtually sooo much since then 😅 cheers 🥃

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I follow a risk/reward strategy with my dice. The best behaved get to use the felt-lined dice tower and the comfy dice bag. The poor performers risk the hammer. I do talk to the vASL dice bot though, usually in blunt Anglo-Saxon terms as it screws me over yet again.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
No talky, just a Jedi wave…does about as much good.

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My dice always talk back to me.
It's when they make better sense than I do, that help is required.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Sun Tzu say If you know the Dice and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the Dice, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat and make excuses 🤔. If the Dice know you! you will succumb in every battle. They are unrelenting ,unforgiving ,and sneaky. 😅

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Sun Tzu say If you know the Dice and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the Dice, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat and make excuses 🤔. If the Dice know you! you will succumb in every battle. They are unrelenting ,unforgiving ,and sneaky. 😅
I just loves me some philosophical philosophy. 🥰

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Doh! Don’t get me started on Schrödinger’s dice? Especially during secret bog check rolls. You peak…under the cup ahh double six. haha your opponent is going to Bog. But wait when you reveal there’s a double one??? The dice have a treacherous twinkle in their eyes 🎲🎲 🥸. Dagnabbit 😅

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
That explains why did are sold in hobby stores! It’s a global conspiracy?? One dice to rule em all. 😃