Do you play a musical instrument?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I had a big breakthrough last year when i was finally able to start playing a few songs along with the recrodng of the original song and group. This was Simple Man by Lynard Skynrd. Once you do that the confidence starts to soar. Now I am working on that song and Knockin' on Heaven's Door for an open mike session at a local pub.
I have a Line 6 Spider III amp that allows me to connect an aux device, and I've been thinking of connecting my iPod to play backing tracks. I'm not really good enough to play along with those yet, but I'm getting there.

What I really want is a Les Paul standard or a Les Paul supreme. This is the one I have my eye on. My Strat is good, but it's a very clean sound and I really want to dirty it up. I've tried a couple of foot peddles with my Strat and it just doesn't sound very good to my ear. On the other hand, I have played briefly on my instructor's Les Paul supreme and it sounds really mean.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a Line 6 Spider III amp that allows me to connect an aux device, and I've been thinking of connecting my iPod to play backing tracks. I'm not really good enough to play along with those yet, but I'm getting there.

What I really want is a Les Paul standard or a Les Paul supreme. This is the one I have my eye on. My Strat is good, but it's a very clean sound and I really want to dirty it up. I've tried a couple of foot peddles with my Strat and it just doesn't sound very good to my ear. On the other hand, I have played briefly on my instructor's Les Paul supreme and it sounds really mean.
check out this baby :crosseye:
http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/HH7535.html
I'd don't think I'd ever make enough to pay for it. :laugh:
It would be wise to join the club if you wanted one. :)

[video=youtube;WStE470Nu4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WStE470Nu4s&feature=related[/video]

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You could also go with humbuckers in your Strat. There are about 203,284 pickups options. It won't be the same thing but it will solve the problem of lack of focus for breaking up sounds all right.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sound like more the amp than the guitar. One has to learn how to set the amp to do what you want. My instructor can make my Start sound mean on his set up. I have to fiddle with my GDEC setting to get the same thing and don't always do.

As to the humbucker... I have Strat with one and one without. I don't really notice a difference... yet. I might as I get better and learn to hear it.

Speaking of Amps, I'm going to have t o get a new one in the 80-100 watt range to match what the bass player and rhythm player have in our band. Any thoughts? I don't want to drop too much cash.

Also, my instructor is teaching me to play standing up and wants me to really have the guitar low, down on my hips. Man this is not easy and it is like starting over.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I also have a big Fender 212R amp, which is good if you really like the "clean" sound. The only problem with it is that it doesn't sound that great to me when the volume is low. You have to crank it loud -- which is really loud with this amp -- and then it sounds fine. The little Spider III I have is good for practice and puts out some wild vibes, but it also sounds a bit rough and ragged at times. Still, I can't complain as I bought it used for only $100.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don:

I went to Guitar center today and bought a Spider IV 150 (watt) Line 6 amp. They are $100 smackers off today. WOW! is all I can say. Even I sound better on it. What is cool is that it has settings for 100s of songs preset. Want to play Sweet Home Alabama? Dial it in a nd you'd think Ronnie Van Zant came back from the grave and was playing in your living room (if you are that good, I'm not). It has 6 different amp type settings and 2 versions of each of those as well. It takes some learnin' to figure it all out. But supposedly you can go on line and get other song settings too. I played for hours this afternoon on it. And.. cranked it and almost knocked the wife's decorative plates off the kitchen wall. I think Eli caught one... Good thing she was out with friends this afternoon!

Last edited:

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
It's nice to see that not everyone is BC Rich b*tch. Keep up the Fender! :thumup:

I've used to play on guitar, classical, accoustic and electric; sometimes flute (stop it!), straight ofcourse (cut it out!); there's an urban legend that I've played piano when I was se7en, but I don't remember an episode like this.

Oh, and I also like to play any hi-fi, this counts as a "musical instruent", I assume :hmmm: :p

Last edited:

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don:

I went to Guitar center today and bought a Spider IV 150 (watt) Line 6 amp. They are $100 smackers off today. WOW! is all I can say. Even I sound better on it. What is cool is that it has settings for 100s of songs preset. Want to play Sweet Home Alabama? Dial it in a nd you'd think Ronnie Van Zant came back from the grave and was playing in your living room (if you are that good, I'm not). It has 6 different amp type settings and 2 versions of each of those as well. It takes some learnin' to figure it all out. But supposedly you can go on line and get other song settings too. I played for hours this afternoon on it. And.. cranked it and almost knocked the wife's decorative plates off the kitchen wall. I think Eli caught one... Good thing she was out with friends this afternoon!
but can you crank it to 11? :D

micky

That costs HOW much now??
Reaction score
oh yes.. a huge music fanatic here.

Played bass since I was a teenager and proud owner of 2 Rickenbacker 4001 basses... what an instrument. Don't play much anymore.. but in my day I was told I was a damn good player. That is what you get for learning bass playing along with Yes albums.

also not bad on drums, and keyboards. One of my most fondly remembered moments on stage was at the Stonewall Tavern in Stillwater when I got to put down the bass and play drums and I did a bang up Donald Fagen impression on "Daddy Don't Live in NYC"