Do you play a musical instrument?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I guess I got tired of it because the instrument is so limited in range. It's one of the very few instruments that cannot play regular music because it's only capable of a single octave, therefore it usually only plays tunes written specifically for the GHB. That, combined with the pain of properly maintaining the instrument and practicing just made me lose interest over time.

At one time I considered the uilleann pipes, but the learning curve on those is rumored to be horrendous and instructors are nearly impossible to find.
They're more popular at house parties though. :) I've never even held a set but I've seen them and they do look tricky.

GHB is a little bit easier to maintain these days with plastic reeds and gore tex bags and kitty-litter filters inside, but only by a matter of degrees, and the wood still swells and contracts and there is still the matter of lapping with plumbers tape or yellow cord (trying not to use the "h" word as I know what will come of that on this board) and yeah - it was a huge PITA taking care of the stupid things. I pick mine up about once a year, but just keeping my facial muscles in tone for more than ten minutes - can't be bothered.

Chamber pipes of some kind would be nice though; I was on an army course in 2000 and a fellow had a half-set with him and let me play on those; they were quite nice - almost like a practice goose but with drones - they were fun to play.

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Electric and acoustic. Started playing 35 years ago but did not stay with it. Picked up a couple of times over the years, but have been playing regular(every day) for the last 6 1/2 years. I still need a lot pratice though.

pj

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How difficult is it to learn guitar? I've been thinking of taking lessons and I would like to hear from the guitar player on this forum about the difficulty level.

I've been told to start with acoustic guitar before moving on to electric, even though electric is easier. This is supposed to develop good fingering habits from the outset. Is this right?
Motivation is everything.

When teachers say "learn acoustic first" they often mean "learn classical first", which is outright BS and different music.

Steel-string acoustics allow you to explore chords and some musical theory, but there is no disadvantage in doing the same on an electric as long as you aren't getting into a habit of taking it apart too often and fiddle with sound settings all day.

An electrical guitars' capabilities are mostly a strict superset of a steel-string acountic, there's very few you can do on one that you can't do on an electic, but lots more things you can do on the electric.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Although I've gotten some conflicting information on the Internet, the vast majority of advice I have gotten is to start with acoustic first. Not because it's easier, but because it requires a lot of finger strength and is less forgiving than electric.

I took a trip over to a local guitar shop that sells all sorts of equipment and has several guitar instructors. They both told me to start with acoustic, even though my goal is to eventually be able to play electric. They said starting with electric tends to cover up poor fingering and often leads to an assortment of bad habits that are hard to break later on. Acoustic, on the other hand, forces the student to develop finger strength and good habits to prevent buzzing against the guitar's frets (I've already discovered that the hard way).

After talking with these guys and doing some reading on the Internet, I went with one of the acoustic/electrics that plays like a regular acoustic, but has the option of being plugged into an amp. I've already discovered that the built in tuning aid is a huge plus, as it helped me understand what I needed to do in order to properly tune the instrument.

And that's where I am now. I'm working through the beginner lessons, which aren't a whole lot of fun yet. But I knew it would be like that for quite a while.

At any rate, this isn't a zero sum game and I can pick up an electric any time I feel the need to do so.

KingNothing12

Reaction score
Country
llRomania
Although I've gotten some conflicting information on the Internet, the vast majority of advice I have gotten is to start with acoustic first. Not because it's easier, but because it requires a lot of finger strength and is less forgiving than electric.

I took a trip over to a local guitar shop that sells all sorts of equipment and has several guitar instructors. They both told me to start with acoustic, even though my goal is to eventually be able to play electric. They said starting with electric tends to cover up poor fingering and often leads to an assortment of bad habits that are hard to break later on. Acoustic, on the other hand, forces the student to develop finger strength and good habits to prevent buzzing against the guitar's frets (I've already discovered that the hard way).

After talking with these guys and doing some reading on the Internet, I went with one of the acoustic/electrics that plays like a regular acoustic, but has the option of being plugged into an amp. I've already discovered that the built in tuning aid is a huge plus, as it helped me understand what I needed to do in order to properly tune the instrument.

And that's where I am now. I'm working through the beginner lessons, which aren't a whole lot of fun yet. But I knew it would be like that for quite a while.

At any rate, this isn't a zero sum game and I can pick up an electric any time I feel the need to do so.
Or you could stick to air guitar....:laugh:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Electric or acoustic? Well I would say start with which one you want to play. Motivation is everything as learning the guitar can tedious and at times tough to stay motivated to do so. And it requires practice practice practice.

I started with an acoustic because that is what we had and i just wanted to try it out. But I really want to play rock so I moved quickly to the electric. I doubt if I would have stayed with it playing the Pachelbel's Canon over and over. Just not my style of music. I WANNA ROCK! So before you buy anything, figure out where you want to go with it and go from there. I really didn't like the fat acoustic.

I had a guitar for 10 months before taking lessons. I struggled with a beginners book and it just didn't work. One thing is you pick up bad habits. I found an instructor who specializes in teaching guitar for rock and have made great strides with him. An instructor will see things you are doing wrong you don't know are wrong.

Maybe even just sign up for lessons and ask the instructor what kind of guitar to get and which one he prefers you to have. But again, define where you want to go and let him know that.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have a couple places where I can get guitar lessons that aren't too far away. Perhaps I should get off my lazy butt and get down there once a week.

On the guitar issue, I really want to play electric.

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don,

Blackcloud hit the nail right on the head. Play what you want to play. If you want to play an electric go out and spend some decent money on the electric of your choice. If you want to "strengthen" your fretting fingers later, get a cheap acoustic. But by all means take lessons weekly. I messed around with the guitar for the last 38 years, but started taking lessons 6 years ago and my playing has progressed exponentially.

pj

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Electric or acoustic? Well I would say start with which one you want to play. Motivation is everything as learning the guitar can tedious and at times tough to stay motivated to do so. And it requires practice practice practice.

I started with an acoustic because that is what we had and i just wanted to try it out. But I really want to play rock so I moved quickly to the electric. I doubt if I would have stayed with it playing the Pachelbel's Canon over and over. Just not my style of music. I WANNA ROCK! So before you buy anything, figure out where you want to go with it and go from there. I really didn't like the fat acoustic.

I had a guitar for 10 months before taking lessons. I struggled with a beginners book and it just didn't work. One thing is you pick up bad habits. I found an instructor who specializes in teaching guitar for rock and have made great strides with him. An instructor will see things you are doing wrong you don't know are wrong.

Maybe even just sign up for lessons and ask the instructor what kind of guitar to get and which one he prefers you to have. But again, define where you want to go and let him know that.
I hear you play the upright organ :whist:

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was only twice and both times I needed the cash. :shy:
A guy I worked with used to ride me about blowin' & suckin' for a living(harmonica) until I told him I did it for business and he did it for pleasure. :p

The same guy used to claim ASLOk was a bunch of guys getting together in a motel room, for a weekend and a good time.

You said mouth organ. :laugh:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Still taking guitar lessons. I'm currently working my way through AC/DC Hells Bells and Deep Purple Smoke on the Water. When it doesn't sound horrible it's starting to sound pretty good. YMMV.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still taking guitar lessons. I'm currently working my way through AC/DC Hells Bells and Deep Purple Smoke on the Water. When it doesn't sound horrible it's starting to sound pretty good.
Don:

I had a big breakthrough last year when i was finally able to start playing a few songs along with the recrodng of the original song and group. This was Simple Man by Lynard Skynrd. Once you do that the confidence starts to soar. Now I am working on that song and Knockin' on Heaven's Door for an open mike session at a local pub. But I am not going to do it alone. My daughter will sing. my song will play bass, my buddy PJ Norton Rhythm and my instructor on the durms. We called "The Blackclouds." Hard part is getting everuone together for practice as my duahgter is off at school and PJ lives all the way on the other side of detroit.

Then there is learning to play standing up... a whole different thing, almost like starting over.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don:

I had a big breakthrough last year when i was finally able to start playing a few songs along with the recrodng of the original song and group. This was Simple Man by Lynard Skynrd. Once you do that the confidence starts to soar. Now I am working on that song and Knockin' on Heaven's Door for an open mike session at a local pub. But I am not going to do it alone. My daughter will sing. my song will play bass, my buddy PJ Norton Rhythm and my instructor on the durms. We called "The Blackclouds." Hard part is getting everuone together for practice as my duahgter is off at school and PJ lives all the way on the other side of detroit.

Then there is learning to play standing up... a whole different thing, almost like starting over.
I always play Knockin' On Heaven's Door whenever a friend passes.
The ASLOk Jammerz should play it.
I liked playing it in G but have been doing it in C lately.
What's your key?

Also; Roger sent me this. :)
I think we're planning on playing it in A. A F#m D E(or capo up x2 like me & finger G Em C D)
:vegguitar::vegguitar: :vegguitar::vegguitar: :vegguitar::vegguitar:
Stand By Me
[video]http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741[/video]

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don:
Now I am working on that song and Knockin' on Heaven's Door for an open mike session at a local pub. But I am not going to do it alone. My daughter will sing. my song will play bass, my buddy PJ Norton Rhythm and my instructor on the durms. We called "The Blackclouds."

I forgot, Break a leg :laugh:

2 Bit Bill is also preparing for open mic but I'll probably go solo.
I'll be Open chord strummin' my 12 String with my "Luke I'm Your Father" Harmonica Rack. :D

I haven't decided what to play. :smoke:
These are some of my faves. Most are grouped so I can segue into the next with or without a brief pause
Any suggestions?

Conditions(Just Dropped In) -Love Potion #9-Don't Go Reachin' Across My Plate (C harp)
Danger Bird (C harp)
Don't Cry No Tears- For The Turnstiles-Pocahanas(low D harp)
I Just Got Back From Baby's-All Along The Watchtower-My My Hey Hey (G harp)

Willin'-Comin' Into Los Angeles-Then Came The Last Days Of May
Fortunate Son & 1 verse+ chorus of I Feel Like I'm Fixin To Die Rag(gimme an F-U-N; no C-K)
It's All Over Baby Blue-You Ain't Goin' Nowhere-I Shall Be Released-The Weight (C harp)

Lately I've been screwin' around with Zappa's Son Of Mr. Green Genes (C harp)
stealing from this guy's arrangement
[video=youtube;49tUH0CrVq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tUH0CrVq8[/video]