Do you play a musical instrument?

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The only thing I have, the produces music, is a radio or my computer :)

And for that, you can be expressly thankful :)

Cheo

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I used to play several instruments in a basic level, like keyboards, guitar or drums, but left them when I saw (and listened) in Peru the most simple and amazing instrument ever: the Kena. Althought I wanted to play the charango and the zampona as well, the sweet, transparent and charming sound of the kena rules over the rest of the instruments in the entire world.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Great Highland Bagpipes. But I haven't played in about 7 or 8 years and I doubt I can play any longer. It's an instrument that takes a lot of practice to build up your lungs and finger coordination. It's also an instrument that sounds truly awful when played badly. :hurt:

I guess I just don't have the time these days.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play guitar at a basic level. Been jamming with a buddy of mine who is much better than I. He can play some awesome guitar solos but I can only manage to hash out basic chords at this point.

Ben

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Various keyboards: got a baby grand, various old synths including a DX7-FDII, and an accordion. :D

- Chad

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was a professional musician for four years then traded the trumpet for a set of 2d Lt bars and an infantry MOS. :smoke:

madDdog67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guitar...played in bands for years, but haven't done anything even remotely "professional" for years. Still noodle around almost every day, though.

I've had a lingering temptation to take up the Uilleann pipes...but the price of a starter set-$1000 or so--has stopped me. That and the difficulty factor, which is considerable, from what I gather. Still, as someone from an Irish heritage, is doesn't get any "Irisher" to me than the Uilleann pipes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played the cello for 15yrs. I loved the way it sounds and is so peaceful and quieting. Im tempted of going down to the music store and picking up one and playing again.

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guitar. Not at any great level, but I can bash out a tune or two. Played Rythym guitar in band during high school days. Good times.

Picked up a bass, and keyboard over the last couple years, just to diddle around with. Always loved music.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Electric bass guitar, but only well enough for a garage band. :nuts:

And that was about 40 yrs ago, so don't imagine it counts anymore.

Did just go see Blue Oyster Cult and remembered the words to some of the songs, lol! :surprise:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Electric and acoustic bass - played in a volunteer praise band until about a month ago. The band leader decided to have "auditions", even for those of us who had been in the band for 2 years, and I felt that it would be fine IF I was getting paid like she was, so I quit - unfortunately, she's still bassless;). I'm also coaching my son's USSSA baseball team this fall and next spring, so I wouldn't be able to attend rehearsal and even going to the same church service would prove difficult, as he plays in weekend tournaments.

I still grab the old acoustic 2-3 times a week and jam to music on TV or do my exercises. Next to lifting weights, playing music is the most calming activity I know.

timu24

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play the drums. The only problem is I am not in a band right now so I don't practice. :p
Tim

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
How difficult is it to learn guitar? I've been thinking of taking lessons and I would like to hear from the guitar player on this forum about the difficulty level.

I've been told to start with acoustic guitar before moving on to electric, even though electric is easier. This is supposed to develop good fingering habits from the outset. Is this right?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Great Highland Bagpipe. So in answer to the question posed by the subject, I guess the answer is NO. :D

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Great Highland Bagpipes. But I haven't played in about 7 or 8 years and I doubt I can play any longer. It's an instrument that takes a lot of practice to build up your lungs and finger coordination. It's also an instrument that sounds truly awful when played badly. :hurt:

I guess I just don't have the time these days.
I should have read this before I answered. Huh.

Agree on your first para.

Impossible to practice when living in an apartment, too, except on practice chanter of course.

I kind of grew out of it myself. Was more fun when the Army paid me serious money to do it.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I kind of grew out of it myself. Was more fun when the Army paid me serious money to do it.
I guess I got tired of it because the instrument is so limited in range. It's one of the very few instruments that cannot play regular music because it's only capable of a single octave, therefore it usually only plays tunes written specifically for the GHB. That, combined with the pain of properly maintaining the instrument and practicing just made me lose interest over time.

At one time I considered the uilleann pipes, but the learning curve on those is rumored to be horrendous and instructors are nearly impossible to find.