• Total voters

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don't believe any of them are high art or anything. However, I find the mythology of superhero comics to be fascinating, and the same is occasionally true of superhero movies. For instance, Superman, as a Christ-like role model for humanity to rise behind, is a rather interesting construct. Even simplistic stories like the Punisher can be pretty good in the hands of a director with some talent.

When comic movies dare to commit the unthinkable sin of taking themselves seriously, and when the actors roll with it and chew the scenery, it can be easy to just forget about the real world for a little while and slide into that world.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
As a former comic collector, I enjoyed the first modern super hero movies, like the first Batman with Jack Nicholson, the first Spiderman trilogy with Toby Maguire and Chris Evans as Captain America. But as these movies became more numerous, they became all about being bigger and grander and I found them tiresome. The last straw for me was when they had super-heroes fighting each other in Civil War. I just don't care anymore. Black Panther as "best picture" nominee stuns me; I gave up watching after 45 minutes.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
As a former comic collector, I enjoyed the first modern super hero movies, like the first Batman with Jack Nicholson, the first Spiderman trilogy with Toby Maguire and Chris Evans as Captain America. But as these movies became more numerous, they became all about being bigger and grander and I found them tiresome. The last straw for me was when they had super-heroes fighting each other in Civil War. I just don't care anymore. Black Panther as "best picture" nominee stuns me; I gave up watching after 45 minutes.
Just for the record, the Marvel Civil War was a very popular comic book crossover event, not the movie folks going over the top.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I was aware of that. Had I still been reading comics when that story line appeared, I would have had negative feelings about it.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Black Panther as "best picture" nominee stuns me; I gave up watching after 45 minutes.
That nomination was obviously driven by politics more than any merit on the part of the film. You may or may not consider Black Panther a good film, but for it to be seriously considered as Academy Award material is just plain silly. The only superhero movie which has even approached that level is the Dark Knight.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Do you like watching superhero movies? Why or why not?
Growing up I liked reading about Superman being clever rather than just using his God-like powers. I recall one issue where he went blind for an unknown reason. To figure it out, he needed, as Clark Kent, to get to his rooftop penthouse. He couldn't just fly there as Superman, he couldn't see. So he walked into his apartment building, got in the elevator, then pretended to be clumsy and hit every button on the panel so the elevator would stop at every floor. With the technology of the day (no audible alerts) he could then count the floors and know when he was on the top floor. I don't recall, however, why he couldn't just ask someone for help but for some reason that logical thinking, or thinking outside the box, appealed to me.

Modern superhero movies don't have time to show people being clever. It's all fist fights, "witty" repartee, and explosions, with pseudo-science driving the plot.

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a old time comic book collector too. The prices for new comic books are outrageous. I liked the first Super Hero Movies, there was some believability to them, now there's so many of them, their totally unbelievable, bordering on stupidity and a waist of the little bit of money I have, and a waist of my time too.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Which ones didn’t match their comic inspiration in your opinion? Infinity War, while clearly only being inspired by the mini series of the same name, seemed to do a decent job, IMO.