Do You Like How The USMC Are Re-Created In ASL?

Do You Like How The USMC Are Re-Created In ASL?

• Yes

Votes: 49 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
When Gung Ho first came out, and I was a lot more naive, the Marines and their representation in ASL seemed perfect.
But I have heard several criticisms of their handling in the game system.
The main one being that they are too powerful. The others that there are too many squad types, and that their morale is better than the US Army squads.
Whats your take on this matter?
Do you like the way the Marines have been handled in ASL or not?

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Where can I find that?"

Probably somewhere in the midst of the Mila 18 thread. I'd imagine that many of mankinds missing items are in there somewhere. Atlantis, grace, a silmaril, common sense and my keys can be found in there...

I am OK with the way Marines are portrayed. Fair supermen toward the end of the war but not the only instance of that in ASL. As long as we stick with the movie/comic book of WWII, they work fine.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uh huh

Were gonna get past 500 on this one too....

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like 'em the way they are.

And Honza, I wish you would make more of your polls public. I see no reason why there needs to be a secret ballot about a subject as innocuous as this. :) :p

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
"Where can I find that?"

Probably somewhere in the midst of the Mila 18 thread. I'd imagine that many of mankinds missing items are in there somewhere. Atlantis, grace, a silmaril, common sense and my keys can be found in there...
Thats an inspired reply; cheered me up. :p

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
"Where can I find that?"

Thats an inspired reply; cheered me up. :p
I'm still waiting for the coffee in my key board to dry....

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
And Honza, I wish you would make more of your polls public. I see no reason why there needs to be a secret ballot about a subject as innocuous as this. :) :p
Hi,

What do you do to make your poll public?
I set the poll up as it was layed out in front of me.
Or, hang on, is it amongst the options like multiple choice etc.? :nervous:

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or, hang on, is it amongst the options like multiple choice etc.? :nervous:
Yep! It says, "do you want this to be a public poll?". I never used it either. But once I found it, it was really cool to see who voted for what by hovering your cursor over the vote total number. I remember on my "Do You Repair MA Malfunctions" poll it was fascinating to see how the best ASL players in the world voted incorrectly.
:devious:

paulkenny

Reaction score
asl needs varieties of squad types to make the individual country's squads be something more than just differentiated by color.

the 768 et al are fine, it allows a different squad representation, and it tends to be balanced with more difficult VC, and more deadly opponents.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the 768 et al are fine, it allows a different squad representation, and it tends to be balanced with more difficult VC, and more deadly opponents.
Damned straight! When you're stuck on that beach getting shot at from caves, you better have a 7-6-8 or it's goodnight ladies! :cool:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I disagree. I don't think they went far enough. It is obvious that late war USMC should be represented by an 8-6-9 squad that can self-rally.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Mark said, there have been TONS of posts and threads about the representation of Marines in ASL.

One thing that I think a lot of people overlook, especially scenario designers, is the over use of the 7-6-8 squad. Keep in mind that there are also 4-5-8's, 5-5-8's and 6-6-8's in the mix. Although G17.11 and G17.15 define the actual representation of weapons and dates and such, there is no reason that a crafty scenario designer *couldn't* use 6-6-8's or 5-5-8's to represent late war Marines that have taken some casualties or reduced strength squads farther into a campaign or invasion.

Look at Iwo Jima or Okinawa as an example...7-6-8's hit the beach and are around for the first few dates...after a few days you would start to see more of the reduced strength squads like 6-6-8's or 5-5-8's to reflect that the Marines are taking losses and/or getting fatigued.

Something to think about.

Of course, as a former Marine, I think the Marines are unfairly treated in ASL...7-7-9 sounds more acurate to me! :bite: :laugh:

Semper Fi!
Scott

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Weird coincidence here - we were talking last night about never having played a scenario using the US marines in all our time of playing ASL. Must be something wrong with the way they're portrayed, right? ;)

Are there any smaller marine scenarios out there?

Ian

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Honza, as I don't know if you can do it, and in the case you couldn't, would you like me to edit your poll to make the voters visible?

I will vote Indifferent, as I don't know enough about the USMC to have a valuable opinion.
And, btw, it is the same type of question that arises about the morale and values of Paratroops or Rangers.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The squad varities for the USMC reflect the ever increasing firepower and strength of the squad TOE as the war progressed.

As to the morale issue, it is well explained elsewhere. It has nothing to do with the Marines being better than the aArmy, it has everything to do with they type of fight they faced.

But, ASL does miss the one important part of the marine squad TOE. It left out the cameraman that each USMC rifle squad had. ;) :D :cheeky:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Honza, as I don't know if you can do it, and in the case you couldn't, would you like me to edit your poll to make the voters visible?
Since this poll was started as a non-public poll, we had better leave it since people have already voted. Not that anyone would probably mind in this case, but just to make sure.
I'll remember public poll option for next time; but I'm not sure I like the idea because people ought to be able to vote in anonimity (sp?).

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rex Scott:

"Keep in mind that there are also 4-5-8's, 5-5-8's and 6-6-8's in the mix."

Suicide Creek has primarily the 6-6-8 Marines in use even though the action occurs just barely into the "7-6-8 zone" as defined in the rules.

Rex Scott also issues this royal edict:

"Look at Iwo Jima or Okinawa as an example...7-6-8's hit the beach and are around for the first few dates...after a few days you would start to see more of the reduced strength squads like 6-6-8's or 5-5-8's"

I am currently working on a Cushman's Pocket HASL. The quality of the individual Marine had slipped (in some cases) significantly from the highly trained Gung Ho studs that hit the beaches. Most commanders are on record with this observation. I will be using a KGP style troop quality chart to reflect this in the CG. Definitely not what you are used to seeing from the Corps but I believe it is justified historically.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having the mix of 558s, 668s, and 768s makes sense to me. I wouldn't go screaming out into the street over it...

On a side note Darrell, let me know if you'd like some proofreading or extra eyes checking out your project!

Dispatches ftB has a bunch of smaller Marine scenarios set on Bougainville. Quite nice, if I do say so myself.