Do you kindle a bunch?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Whatever is agreed upon between players is fine by me. After all you own the damn game.

We pretty much played by the book to prepare Fish for tournaments. You don't want to be at an event and find out you have based something predicated on a house rule that does not apply at that event.

Back on topic we rarely used kindling but would discuss how it could influence a scenario. There was a DASL scenario with possibly the Chinese where kindling made it impossible, IOO, for the Attacker to win.

With such a wealth of facts I am sure someone can identify that scenario. 🤔🙄
I was enough of a jick without kindling. Lol Fish said in '93 or so that he was done with ASL after a weekend of us gunnin! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Of course he was back the next Friday for some more ASL! 🤗🤗🥰🥰

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... I would prefer the battleschool sniper dice 🎲 in particular ...
[Agreed, except that their nationality dice (in the small size I prefer) are all white, last I looked, and that makes their also-white SAN die impractical in conjunction w/their nationality dice.]

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Fair to say, some good scenarios are ruined by kindling. Some scenario designers are average Joes, nice guys. In their good nature they failed to see the diabolic evil of kindling and it’s implications. Let’s face it, it’s not fun to roll dozens of flame/blaze spreads every player turn which are easily forgotten, at least I always do. Probably best not to use.
While most ‘modern’ scenario designers most always include ‘Kindling NA’ others ignore at their scenario’s peril. Sometimes I kindle, other times I won’t because well, it’s just not right.

Sometimes the kindling backfires like it did to me several times in ‘Dingos at Dumaur’. I’ve lost that one three times in a row as the French trying the kindle thing.
“Dingoes“ is one of the scenarios that features in “VASLing with Stew” that Wayne referred to earlier (the other being “Defiance on Hill 30”). My regular opponent, Marc Hanna, was on the receiving end as the Aussies and it didn’t end well for him. The highlight (or lowlight depending on your point of view) was when a melee stack, mostly comprised of his troops, perished when a blaze spread into their hex and they couldn’t rout away. Kindling certainly worked well for Stewart in both scenarios where he used it. Personally, I don’t recall ever using kindling as a tactic and, after that experience, I suspect that it might not go down well if I try to employ it against Marc in future!
The thing is that that the “no kindling” SSR is so common that I wonder whether its omission in a scenario featuring dry conditions and a huge grainfield might be a deliberate part of the scenario design?

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
The rule is often sort of redundant if there are flamethrowers in the OoB and there’s a lot of terrain to burn. Even something like a SU-152 is prolly going to fart a star - Woops I mean start a fire if there are any light armor opposing tanks and you have grain.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The rule is often sort of redundant if there are flamethrowers in the OoB and there’s a lot of terrain to burn. Even something like a SU-152 is prolly going to fart a star - Woops I mean start a fire if there are any light armor opposing tanks and you have grain.
" Fart a star "!!! Classic!! I like it!!!🥰

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
tbh sometimes I think grain is a little bit too flammable when tanks are involved

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Looking at the Sword and Fire scenarios, there are a lot with blazes at the start. A lot of weather in those games.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I once lit my entire backyard on fire by tossing a smoke bomb in summer. Fortunately, the dry brush stopped at the surrounding tree line and so the blaze died for lack of fuel. Kindling is a thing!

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is hard to conduct a "scorched earth defense" when the ground you are trying to scorch is the ground you're standing on!

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Scorched earth is the thing you do as you withdraw to your next line of defence, not when you dig in on your current line of defence. If it's part of the plan then the rear guard should task for protecting the "scorchers" while they do their work.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
You now mention it and I find it regrettable they ASL has no standard for burnt out terrain.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
One of the reasons I want to get Advancing Fire’s Prokhorovka is just because it looks brownnn and burnt. It makes it feel like Prokh should.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Saipan & Guam (probably on other islands as well) the first use of Napalm was to burn out the Kunai grass and brush in front of the attacking Marines and Army troops as the moved inland against the more rugged higher ground.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Reading the aftermath of SF16 and the attack on the Administration Building. It was finally cleared by pouring gasoline into the basement and setting it afire.
Yeah, that's how you kindle. Mind you it also says the Jap marines reoccupied it the next day.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading the aftermath of SF16 and the attack on the Administration Building. It was finally cleared by pouring gasoline into the basement and setting it afire.
Yeah, that's how you kindle. Mind you it also says the Jap marines reoccupied it the next day.
The Kommissar's House was cleared in much the same manner.