Do you kindle a bunch?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First thing to look for on defense: Can I kindle and where?
First thing to look for on offense: Can he kindle and where ?
Pity the fool that don’t write “Kindling NA”.

Houtje

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Using it in Counterattack on the Vistula (ASL 134) as the defending Russian allowed me to channel the German attack; at the end of the scenario, almost the whole forest was ablaze.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fair to say, some good scenarios are ruined by kindling. Some scenario designers are average Joes, nice guys. In their good nature they failed to see the diabolic evil of kindling and it’s implications. Let’s face it, it’s not fun to roll dozens of flame/blaze spreads every player turn which are easily forgotten, at least I always do. Probably best not to use.
While most ‘modern’ scenario designers most always include ‘Kindling NA’ others ignore at their scenario’s peril. Sometimes I kindle, other times I won’t because well, it’s just not right.

Sometimes the kindling backfires like it did to me several times in ‘Dingos at Dumaur’. I’ve lost that one three times in a row as the French trying the kindle thing.

Last edited:

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I never kindle now. In the past, I've maybe done it once or twice. I find that the older I get, the less sleaze appeals. It should be moved to chapter E and only allowed by SSR, but that will never happen.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Fair to say, some good scenarios are ruined by kindling. Some scenario designers are average Joes, nice guys. In their good nature they failed to see the diabolic evil of kindling and it’s implications. Let’s face it, it’s not fun to roll dozens of flame/blaze spreads every player turn which are easily forgotten, at least I always do. Probably best not to use.
While most ‘modern’ scenario designers most always include ‘Kindling NA’ others ignore at their scenario’s peril. Sometimes I kindle, other times I won’t because well, it’s just not right.
Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion we came to early on. I believe it was Age-Old Foes that convinced us that if we looked for chances to kindle in every scenario that allows it, it's just going to be a PITA, ruin some otherwise good scenarios, and generally just not be fun. So by kind of a gentleman's agreement, we just didn't kindle much (talking my local buddies that I played with regularly).

Of course, we also decided early on that each player should watch for their own SAN - it wasn't the other guy's job. It was discussed, and pretty much that's how we all saw it. I got roundly chastised for that here some years ago, but if we like playing it that way I don't see the problem. Thematic too - sometimes the sniper might not be paying attention - maybe he has to scratch his nads, or do a farmboy to clear his nose.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion we came to early on. I believe it was Age-Old Foes that convinced us that if we looked for chances to kindle in every scenario that allows it, it's just going to be a PITA, ruin some otherwise good scenarios, and generally just not be fun. So by kind of a gentleman's agreement, we just didn't kindle much (talking my local buddies that I played with regularly).

Of course, we also decided early on that each player should watch for their own SAN - it wasn't the other guy's job. It was discussed, and pretty much that's how we all saw it. I got roundly chastised for that here some years ago, but if we like playing it that way I don't see the problem. Thematic too - sometimes the sniper might not be paying attention - maybe he has to scratch his nads, or do a farmboy to clear his nose.
Yeah, plenty of ways for fires to get outta control anyway, bottom line: it doesn’t really add to the fun.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[Agreed.]
Yeah, we used to play it that way: ‘If you snooze you lose’. But then it was pointed out to me that its in the rules, so I’ll remind you. However, I’ve got no problem with a house rule that allows missed snipers.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[A very simple way to (almost) never miss a SAN --

In any SAN phase, both players roll -- for sake of the opposing player Sniper -- an extra (distinguishable) SAN die w/any DR.
If that SAN die comes up One or Two, and your DR happens to be the opposing SAN number, your opponent will notice (and will already know if it's a big or little Sniper).
Otherwise, just ignore the SAN die.

Speeds up play and mitigates player attention deficits. (Helps in solitaire play, too.)

Only requires each player agree and use a third die (black, or different size, say) for their opponent's Sniper.]

Attachments

Last edited:

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
[A very simple way to (almost) never miss a SAN --

In any SAN phase, both players roll -- for sake of the opposing player Sniper -- an extra (distinguishable) SAN die w/any DR.
If that SAN die comes up One or Two, and your DR happens to be the opposing SAN number, your opponent will notice (and will already know if it's a big or little Sniper).
Otherwise, just ignore the SAN die.

Speeds up play and mitigates player attention deficits. (Helps in solitaire play, too.)

Only requires each player agree and use a third die (black, or different size, say) for their opponent's Sniper.]
I am an advocate of this. I would prefer the battleschool sniper dice 🎲 in particular. Reason is I’m already rolling a third one if it’s an RoF weapon. This is the biggest deviation from rules I do and I believe in strongly.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Whatever is agreed upon between players is fine by me. After all you own the damn game.

We pretty much played by the book to prepare Fish for tournaments. You don't want to be at an event and find out you have based something predicated on a house rule that does not apply at that event.

Back on topic we rarely used kindling but would discuss how it could influence a scenario. There was a DASL scenario with possibly the Chinese where kindling made it impossible, IOO, for the Attacker to win.

With such a wealth of facts I am sure someone can identify that scenario. 🤔🙄