Do you have to bring on items listed in your OB?

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Apologies for what is probably another stupid question about the rules.

I am about to play FrF77 Ghostbusters as the Germans. The OB has listed a load of motorcycles. Do I have to bring those on or can I just leave them offboard? I'd rather the infantry walked.....

I had a look at the rules and got for OB in the index:

(Order of Battle, the forces which compose one side in any scenario as defined by the scenario card): O11.2, P8.2, Q9.2, R9.2, T15.2

And I cannot see anything else.

Chapters O, P , Q , R and T are the historical modules. Why does the rule book refer to them? Not for the first time I think I am missing something........

Once again, any help much appreciated please.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I am about to play FrF77 Ghostbusters as the Germans. The OB has listed a load of motorcycles. Do I have to bring those on or can I just leave them offboard? I'd rather the infantry walked.....
No you can leave them off. Per Q&A they would be considered eliminated/captured if they were part of the Victory Conditions - which I don't think I have ever seen.

(Order of Battle, the forces which compose one side in any scenario as defined by the scenario card): O11.2, P8.2, Q9.2, R9.2, T15.2

And I cannot see anything else.

Chapters O, P , Q , R and T are the historical modules. Why does the rule book refer to them? Not for the first time I think I am missing something........
Because in the 2nd Editon Index, references/entries from the then-existing HASL modules were included. (IMO, that should not have been done, since some of the definitions now in the Index, did not exist outside of the HASL rules.)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Not sure that you can leave them off.

When the card says "ENTER on TURN 1" you enter on turn one.
Same trick on ?ment counters in OB and players INTENTIONALLY leaving them offboard....as players count counters...
They are in the OB and intentionally leaving them off is next to cheating IMO.
You base your decisions on the OB not what "Could be" in the OB.
It is supposed to represent a situation...
IF a side engaged the battle on WAR GOATS!! Then you must at least come on with War GOATS!! Unless SSR....

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perry Sez for A2.9

Must a player enter all units and counters (ex: motorcycles/horses) scheduled to enter as reinforcements (assuming no SSR mandating entry as Riders/Cavalry/Mounted, etc.)?

Do the units not entered count as eliminated for CVP purposes? Do counters (e.g. motorcycles/bicycles/skis/horses) not entered count as eliminated/captured/controlled by the opposing side for VC purposes?

Answer: No. Eliminated, captured, or controlled at other player’s option. Yes.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There still lacks a clear statement in the rules.
The question is as old as the problem of the Germans entering on motorcycles in Encounter at Cornimont, where the entry hex can be covered by the French HMG...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Q&A indeed and I will follow that.
But some errata could include that clarification in the rules.

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
So you are allowed to go in without the Reach-issued Zundkaps, but whether that is a good idea is another matter. The Germans have a lot of ground to cover in just five turns in Ghostbusters. Good scenario, but not easy for the Germans.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"When I Call Roll" is a scenario from Action Pack 11. SSR 2 says, in part, "Any trench/pillbox not set up is considered
Controlled by the Americans..."

This certainly implies that not everything in the OB needs to be used.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
"When I Call Roll" is a scenario from Action Pack 11. SSR 2 says, in part, "Any trench/pillbox not set up is considered
Controlled by the Americans..."

This certainly implies that not everything in the OB needs to be used.
As it is an SSR that you quote, it cannot serve as grounds to imply anything for the general rules.

In the given context, the reasoning seems to be to avoid a bug-hunt with the Americans (probably required to control Pillboxes) having to search a HIP PB all over the place kept HIP by the opponent with the intention to keep them occupied by other things than fighting his units.

That said, the Q&A quoted upthread makes it clear, that this very purpose is discouraged as a tactic beyond certain bounds as well as keeping stuff offboard unused to avoid having it destroyed (for example units which are fragile but valuable with regard to VP).

von Marwitz

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As it is an SSR that you quote, it cannot serve as grounds to imply anything for the general rules.

In the given context, the reasoning seems to be to avoid a bug-hunt with the Americans (probably required to control Pillboxes) having to search a HIP PB all over the place kept HIP by the opponent with the intention to keep them occupied by other things than fighting his units.

That said, the Q&A quoted upthread makes it clear, that this very purpose is discouraged as a tactic beyond certain bounds as well as keeping stuff offboard unused to avoid having it destroyed (for example units which are fragile but valuable with regard to VP).

von Marwitz

That SSR is because the German ELR drops one for every trench/pillbox the Americans control (to a minimum of zero).
The bug hunt aspect is very likely a consideration as well, as the Americans need to make sure there are no GO Germans
in buildings/fortifications.

Agreed about the Q and A.

indy