Do you ever recommend VASSAL to others?

Jim_Grognard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was a great article, Pete. I am just getting back into the wargaming hobby with some of the old Avalon Hill games that I used to enjoy in my youth. I am happy to see that there exist Vassal game modules (and other pbeM utilities) for many of the games I just (re)purchased on ebay since I don't really have any reliable local playing partners. Anyone up for a online game of The Russian Campaign (3rd edition), Waterloo, Alexander The Great or Caesar At Alesia?

Last edited:

Pete G

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, gents. The availability of VASSAL modules drives most of my purchases these days. Heck, I have a few unpunched games in the collection now--which is NOT to say that I haven't played them yet.

Jim -- I'd take you up on TRC, yet I'm on the left coast. The time diff might be difficult to manage.

Other games I'm looking to play are Twilight Struggle and Fire in the Sky. Both are new purchases, and I'm rarin' to go. Any takers?

-Pete

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I starting playing FiTS via VASSAL after having it sit here for several months (finally, and I made the VASSAL module for it!) - what a fun game! We still have to reference the rules a little bit but it's starting to make sense for us now (it's not difficult by any means, just unique to other wargames). I'd be up for another game Pete if you want to give it a go - are you thinking pbem or live?

Jim_Grognard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pete G said:
T
Jim -- I'd take you up on TRC, yet I'm on the left coast. The time diff might be difficult to manage.

-Pete
Pete, I need someone to break my online/pbem wargaming cherry. Perhaps we can find a common time to start the first coupla turns live and take it to pbem turn-by-turn from there?

Minaya

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Pete G said:
Other games I'm looking to play are Twilight Struggle and Fire in the Sky. Both are new purchases, and I'm rarin' to go. Any takers?

-Pete
I am on preorder for 2nd ed. Twilight Struggle. I may send you a Private Message when I get my copy. It seems that it will be released by mid October more or less.

Pete G

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great to see all the replies ... likewise, my copy of FitS has been sitting on the shelf for too long and a game of TS or TRC is always welcome.

Go ahead drop me a PM here and we can exchange e-mail addys or Skype aliases. Skype is totally the way to go in my book. My "gaming window" usually opens up after 9pm Pacific time on Thursdays and Fridays. The household beer and soda fridge is just paces away and ready to support the action.

-Pete

Los

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too look to a games availability on vassal as a factor for purchasing. These days it's not so easy to leave a game set up for extended periods but this is not a factor on Vassal. Can't wait to try FiTS on there.

Los

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Los said:
I too look to a games availability on vassal as a factor for purchasing. These days it's not so easy to leave a game set up for extended periods but this is not a factor on Vassal. Can't wait to try FiTS on there.

Los
I've been playing FitS in the evening with my brother using VASSAL and Skype and it's a good fit - good game too.

Tip: FitS (and several other VASSAL modules) have a number of windows - FitS has the battleboard and battlemap in addition to the full map that you move units back and forth to-from. Even though I added right click options to send units to each, it's easier to just drag and drop them however VASSAL has this annoying thing where the smaller battlemaps will move behind the larger map when you click on a stack to move it (actually, it's a windows issue). Long story short, install "Freeshade" and you can make those smaller maps "stick" on top of the larger map and then "roll them up" ala the old MacOS style when not needed. Pretty nifty. Get Freeshade from:

http://www.hmmn.org/FreeShade/

Jim_Grognard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried Vassal for the first time the other day and I loved it! I found an opponent to play a classic Avalon Hill game that I always wanted to play, Caesar At Alesia. The live play with the nicely designed game board and counters and the text chat feature was awesome. And I am currently playing another AH classic Alexander The Great. It is great that we can save the game where we leave off live and make some of the more complex moves for massses of counters off line as well, save the game and then resume from there. I would recommend Vassal to everyone.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim, download and setup Skype (www.skype.com) VOIP and you can cut out having to text chat. Makes the experience *almost* like being there with each other!

Jim_Grognard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I actually prefer the text chat rather than talking while I play because I usually am listening to my favorite radio shows while sitting at my computer and my voice is already worn out from talking all day as it is.

Mordrig

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Vassal

It was pushed on me and now I am pushing it on everyone. Another format I push is Cyberboard, there are so many games available for both that you can't help but find the game you are looking for. Only one more game I have to have and I plan to make it myself as soon as I get some time. Anyone interested in Battle Over Britain? :D

Mordrig

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battle Over Britain

My version is the TSR reprint of the SPI game. I think it is great, but have not yet figured out how the win as the British. My German attack plan is great, but I need to come up with a Britich counter to stop the German victory.

KG_Cloghaun

Oberste Befehlshaber
Reaction score
At the KG clan, we have just started to make regular use of Vassal. We play a wide variety of games at KG, with CM being the most popular. We started looking for a diversion though lately. With many of us coming from tabletop war gaming backgrounds, Vassal finally came across our radar.

It's funny how sometimes you have to have a gun put to your head to try new things. This was the case with Vassal. Now every Saturday night, several of us hop on our private Teamspeak server & play LocknLoad:Band of Brothers. It's been an absolute blast! I never thought I'd be rolling dice (even though they're virtual) again on a weekly basis!

hanss

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Of course I promote VASSAL whenever I can. It is the way to play ASL with other people who live too far away to have a FTF game.

More and more people are using VASSAL.;)

Hanss