Do you ever recommend VASSAL to others?

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, I admit it. When it comes to VASSAL, I'm a pushy-pusher. If I'm reading a wargaming/gaming forum (this or others) and I see the usual thread "recommend a game for me" or "what PC game is most like the old boardgames?" I can't help but throwing in my $.02 by suggesting that they look into using VASSAL to play what it is that they really want to play (boardgames). It never fails that the first reply is "I don't have room to set up a boardgame" or "I don't have anyone to play a boardgame with". I then will follow-up explaining that they don't need to set up the boardgame version and that they can possibly meet others to play with online, etc, etc.

And sadly, it usually ends there. Someone else comes along and suggests some RTS or FPS and then off they go.

So, do you push VASSAL when you the opportunity presents itself and if so, what has your success rate been like? Hopefully better than mine - maybe I should get a little more pushier eh? :D

Minaya

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Yes, I have recommended VASSAL to wargamers that didn't know about it and also have talked about it to people who seems to be interested about wargames but don't play yet.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But how was your suggestions received? I've suggested VASSAL as an option a dozen or more times yet I'm sad to say that there wasn't even one instance where the person responded that VASSAL was the solution that they were looking for or that they would even check into it.

I guess another question to ask: is there a great divide between boardgamers and computer wargamers?

I've tried to get my brother involved in VASSAL. As kids we would spend our summers playing the classics. For Christmas, I bought him ASLSK#2 and he even dug out his old collection of games from his attic. Thought that I was on the way to getting him into the fold but each time that I suggest a game of this or that via VASSAL, I'm confronted with "don't really have time, I'm just going to play some computer game vs the AI". :mad:

The classic post on forums: "I'm looking for a game that is like name of a classic boardgame, I used to love that game!". Seeing that there's a VASSAL module for that game, I suggest "well play it again - and with others - live or via pbem!". They respond, "no, I mean a computer game". :mad:

ddm_aka_t34c

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recommending VASSAL

GJK said:
The classic post on forums: "I'm looking for a game that is like name of a classic boardgame, I used to love that game!". Seeing that there's a VASSAL module for that game, I suggest "well play it again - and with others - live or via pbem!". They respond, "no, I mean a computer game". :mad:
Maybe the problem there, though, isn't so much with VASSAL as with the game. There's a thread named "Musty Nostalgia" over in another folder, where people talk about games they loved once but don't play any more. Playing the game again years later brings back some of the affection, but also reminds them of why they no longer play the game (they've outgrown it). People who say "I'm looking for a game that is like [whatever]" don't really want to play that game, I think. They want to play something state-of-the-art but that appeals to them for the same reasons (whatever those reasons are) that the original game did. So as I say, I don't think the problem there is with VASSAL.

It's encouraging, though, that VASSAL modules appear for a lot of newly-released titles. What I hope is that this will encourage people who buy the games to try VASSAL, and users of VASSAL to buy games they otherwise wouldn't.

For my part, I recommend VASSAL whenever and wherever I can (mostly in forums like this, though, since I don't meet many gamers ftf). So far I can only count one convert, my gaming buddy Jimmy. His comment was "very impressive," and he no longer tries to convert me to ADC.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've recently got a friend--who used to use Cyberboard exclusively--to install VASSAL and he now asks me for games more often that I'm available. We play Command and Colors: Ancients and Paths of Glory.

robarrieta

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gary:

Keep doing what you are doing. Your artwork is great. "Build it and they will come". VASSAL is the future of "boardgaming".

By the way, what is the latest on Ardennes '44 VASSAL module?

Regards,
Rob

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Rob - and thanks!

I love doing the artwork, I wish I was as good as Brent or Tim McCarron or a handful of others that do really superb work on the actual VASSAL part of the modules. I get a good start at least. ;)

A44 is progressing - working on the counters now. Jan Weis sent me a very comprehensive list of missing/errors that the map has (nothing major), so next I'll correct those and then begin building the module itself.

travillaintim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll recommend vassal when I'm inclined to do so and there is a mod available that I'm familiar with, but more often than not, I find myself typing responses on forums to recommend vassal and end up not posting because I feel like I sound like a :spam: :pIMP: :nuts: when I proofread what I wrote :) hehe

Thanks for the compliment Gary but don't cut yourself so short! Your mods are top notch all the way :)

aysi$

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have been having a blast with Vassal and the Lock and Load game.We have Skype also going so its as close to FTF as your going to get.I posted this over at the Matrix site were a lot of folk have been going on about a PC version for the game.I tried to explain you have a pc version already,but i just got replies like 'oh i dont want to have to read the rules' and 'i want to see tracers and smoke',they could'nt figure out that even with PC games you have to read rules...or perhaps they dont

must be the now now now generation

Swing

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
surprised to see this one turned some way off topic

Hi,

I can't help feel surprised when I see people around here buying and buying games without a real will to play them. They often don't even know about VASSAL. They complain and complain about the lack of time, but feels strange, because we all are busy people, so it must have something to do with lack of time, yes...

...And lack of commitment too.

Playing the computer tends to be a lot easier. Two of my gaming buddies are now playing EQII like possessed. At first, I didn't understand that. But obviously, reading, learning and studying any war or boardgame must be a harder task.

Playing and learning them is a daunting task sometimes, and they stand there, at the shelf, waiting like a Christmas present. Waiting to be opened and enjoyed. It thrills me to receive them and read the credits, thinking about the huge time commitment of the designer, developer, playtesters, proffreaders, graphic designers, illustrators and etc... After some time, I've come to see them as works of art, very exclusive works of art, indeed.

VASSAL got (and will get) a lot of us out from Oblivion to play these games again. We were seduced by the 'puter for a time, and it was fine, until we got bored or found gems like TOAW, Combat Mission and some others. But the original broth was still there, at the shelf, waiting. And VASSAL, and Cyberboard too, are the way to play again.

I don't buy games unless I know the designer/game company are commited to foster and give their permission for someone to do what seems to me more like a literary translation than an adaptation to a new medium, an unrewarded work which maybe in the near future turns to be a rewarded and essential one in the design process of a good tabletop wargame.

These literary translators, you know, are priceless.

Long live to VASSAL, Cyberboard, PBeM and that second layer of people who translate the original to the new medium :clap:

miguel.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I mention this option all the time. But, I have no way of knowing what sort of effect bringing it up accomplishes.

I only know, that with VASSAL and related software, a person doesn't actually need to fret over a board game being ported to computer. If you have the real thing, chances are you can play the real thing on your computer as well.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, here's another example. Recommend VASSAL and everyone just glosses over it and keeps complaining that board wargames are no good because you can't find opponents to play against:

"Boardgaming" on the wargamer.com forums

I'm still hoping one of those guys will sell me their copy of Up Front though. :)

Okimaw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm curious about VASSAL and ASL in general. I wouldn't be able to get anyone to play ASl board game with me but I'm curious about the online thing. What would I need to start up on VASSAl and how much would it cost in Canadian $$$ ? I'm a pretty avid TOAW player but I'm looking at some other games to play, plus if I played a version of ASL I could get one of those cool tshirts like "cardboard warrior" or"I let the dice do my talkng"

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, be aware that there is VASSAL, which is the tools that can be used to play any game that is made using it, and VASL, which is a module of VASSAL made specifically for ASL.

See www.vassalengine.org for a list of modules that have currently been developed (and uploaded) for it.

See www.vasl.org for more information pertaining to VASL.

The two are easy to confuse. ;)

Okimaw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
GJK said:
Also, be aware that there is VASSAL, which is the tools that can be used to play any game that is made using it, and VASL, which is a module of VASSAL made specifically for ASL.

See www.vassalengine.org for a list of modules that have currently been developed (and uploaded) for it.

See www.vasl.org for more information pertaining to VASL.

The two are easy to confuse. ;)
Ok, that clarifies things a bit. I guess what I'm looking at is VASL. There must be something to this ASL thing with so many guys playing, I know there's other players from Winnipeg here, if they could share where they got their boardgame from I'll look into it further

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Check the "ASL Depot" forum here and the Marketplace folder on www.consimworld.com. There's a thread in the "Depot" listing stores in various areas selling ASL wares. You can always order some stuff directly from MMP as well - definitely check into the ASL Starter Kits!

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okimaw said:
There must be something to this ASL thing with so many guys playing, I know there's other players from Winnipeg here, if they could share where they got their boardgame from I'll look into it further
Come into the ASL section by all means and ask as many questions as you wish. Yes, there are avid ASLers in your area and yes, they love new players. (It makes us feel more 'normal'!) We also have a 'Where to buy ASL' thread in the main ASL section, I believe.

To play VASL you do need to buy the rule book. VASL has no AI; it's you against another human. I believe the ASLRB is $80 US. Second-hand 1st Edition [the rules have had some recent up-dates; it's totally playable though with only the 1st Ed.] copies should be availalbe for around $20, though. Many old copies get donated to new guys if you run into the right guy.

Edit: almost forgot: MMP offers a starter Kit for around $24 US which gives most rules for Infantry-only games and counters and boards to play several scenarios. It's meant to get you into the rules in an easy manner. (the full ASLRB is several hundred pages. . . ) check out MMP's site for info on this SK.

Last edited:

Pete G

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GJK said:
Ok, here's another example. Recommend VASSAL and everyone just glosses over it and keeps complaining that board wargames are no good because you can't find opponents to play against:

"Boardgaming" on the wargamer.com forums
Ya, we've seen a lot of over there. The idea of playing board wargames is pretty attractive to many, but actually following through and rolling the bones for real is quite another.

That said, I put together a VASSAL Primer that pitches the benefits of VASSAL and gets the needed links all in one place: http://www.wargamer.com/articles/on_board_7/

If you're thinking at all about VASSAL, I recommend giving it a read.

-Pete