Do you ever lose your temper while playing ASL?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I try to be as zen as I can but I fail. My problem is knowing the math and working out in my head that what just happened, shouldn't have happened by rights but her we are. When I get super frustrated at that, I tend to just walk away. That walking away is me either taking a moment to let the frustration pass, or me walking away to be done with it all. I will still be back to help put everything away, but I won't play past the point where I am about to become and asshat. I wish I was math illiterate. I could probably improve my own morale a long way. Sadly, I also know when it shouldn't go my way and that can be just as frustrating for me. -- jim
But, you were trapped into a math game when you sat down to play...of as Arnold would say "you are awash in a sea of mathematical indifference in which your will power is equal to 0."

Abe

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Have never lost my temper. I don’t think I would experience it from myself or opponent as it would mean that it had been some time since fun was being had. Time is too valuable for that.

You can either treat it as a game or a puzzle (or a bit of both). I prefer playing it as a game.

Winning is nice, losing is instructive, playing is fun.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get frustrated with dice...never my opponent. Nothing makes me happier than when my opponent is making good moves.

But the vagaries of the dice will drive my emotions...but it is always very short lived...at least until I roll my own snakes or my opponent throws a boxcar. :D

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometime back I recall hearing of a player who, after an evening of having a losing streak and bad dice rolls, quietly but angrily went home and took his underperforming dice to his workbench where he crushed them all to pieces with his bench vice. Likely, no one was there to be offended.

You have to admire the guy's discretion and panache.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometime back I recall hearing of a player who, after an evening of having a losing streak and bad dice rolls, quietly but angrily went home and took his underperforming dice to his workbench where he crushed them all to pieces with his bench vice. Likely, no one was there to be offended.

You have to admire the guy's discretion and panache.
I remember that...the most I have ever done was retire (with prejudice) some dice.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A good reason for not using precision dice: if they show bad performance, the poor things have an excuse and can be pardoned.
EDIT: I had used a slang word which I didn't realise the vulgarity of - had heard it as a kid (I had a slight doubt, checked it out and corrected). "Things" is better.

Capt. Batguano

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes I've lost my temper but only with a long time friend and long time FtF opponent who also loses his temper. It can get pretty heated and we remain friends (and still play) but I imagine it would look pretty funny to someone else.

Example: I don't quite remember what scenario we were playing but he (we'll call him 'D') had a couple of slow moving flame churchills moving along. I had both a little HIP for squads and some mines. So he slogged his churchills along with a squad to search. He came to a spot where he could search 4 hexes and he opted to search 4 potential (empty ground) mine hexes instead of the little woods hex I had my HIP squad with psk in. He pointed to each hex he wanted to search, waiting for my response and then pointed to the next one he wanted to search. I could tell he was thinking about searching the hex with my HIP squad in it but I think he figured that was too obvious since it was pretty far forward. He found nothing, in the next prep fire I killed his churchill with my HIP guy in the adjacent hex - the one he thought was too obvious, (with a snake eyes yet, not a critical hit but insulting all the same :) ), and that was it. The proverbial chit hit the fan.

D: 'I searched there!'
Me: 'No you didn't! You searched here, here, here and here!'
D: "Phfft! Whatever! How do you know which hex I searched?!'
Me: 'BECAUSE YOU FREAKING POINTED AT THEM AND SAID, "I SEARCH THIS HEX"!'
...and so on...

lol...oh man. It wasn't funny to us at the time but the arguments we get over based purely on a sense of competitiveness are hilarious.

We've been buds since the age of 17 so it's not like we couldn't get into an outright fist fight and not still remain friends but still, whew, we get into some tilts sometimes.

Other than that, no I don't really lose my temper. I have had a bout or two of sulking over bad dice rolls but that's rare.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don't lose my temper as such, but I do get exasperated and sometimes even a little pissed off when I do everything right and my dice let me down. My opponents can roll 2's until the cows come home and I can laugh it off, but somehow when I roll 11's and 12's, it feels like I've done something wrong, or worse, my cardboard warriors have deliberately failed me.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I remember that...the most I have ever done was retire (with prejudice) some dice.
I was once playing at a MMP playtest event. I was rolling terrible. Rolled a 12, reached into my dice tower and tossed my dice over my shoulder towards the trash. Instantly regretted being a child and went to pick them up. They were laying on the ground, 1,1. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. - jim

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was once playing at a MMP playtest event. I was rolling terrible. Rolled a 12, reached into my dice tower and tossed my dice over my shoulder towards the trash. Instantly regretted being a child and went to pick them up. They were laying on the ground, 1,1. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. - jim
The dice equivalent of "and so I mock you".

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't get mad, I get even. After one game of absolutely poor dice rolls, I lined up all my dice in formation, pulled one out at random and hit it with a hammer. Pour encourager les autres you know! You should have seen those dice with wide open little pips, shocked at the horror. Works like a charm for about ten scenarios then it starts to wear off... Tweet! Formation! And so it goes.

I learned this from the movie Paths of Glory. Those French, they sure know how to command!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So you have been using them wrong

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I was playtesting there and somebody had terrible rolls so he finally had enough and threw them into the black void over the offices. the next batch of dice behaved themselves much better! I guess they got the message lol

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never lose my temper.. the occasional cuss words come out because I like to cuss.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't think that I ever lost temper during a game - ASL or other.
I can in other circumstances.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup. One of the times I regret in my life. Nothing serious, but I started throwing counters of mine that died off the map and into a corner of the room. Happily I haven't gone to the 'dark side' in 20+ years, so hopefully I am cured.

Thing I mostly regret now is having gas while playing FtF...with VASL it is not such an issue. :)