Do you ever lose your temper while playing ASL?

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guilty. Flawed human here that kinda gets a perverted kick out of the emotional swings of ASL. Elation to devastation and back again. I love it and hate it at the same time. That's why I'm hooked ;)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank goodness for the mute button.

I can get pretty cranky when math and science says a scenario should be going a certain way and it is not -- mostly in the form of some colorful language. If I know the person well, I am more apt to do so. Otherwise less so (but regretfully some still slips out). As most others have said, it is never directed at my opponent, mostly my own poor play, bad decision-making or consistently bad dice. Almost always I am over it by the end of a player turn after I "verbally cleanse".

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank goodness for the mute button.

I can get pretty cranky when math and science says a scenario should be going a certain way and it is not -- mostly in the form of some colorful language. If I know the person well, I am more apt to do so. Otherwise less so (but regretfully some still slips out). As most others have said, it is never directed at my opponent, mostly my own poor play, bad decision-making or consistently bad dice. Almost always I am over it by the end of a player turn after I "verbally cleanse".
The "Urge to Purge" can be strong.

casmithasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Before ASL, I Hammer Tested so many dice I ran short of them. They were SPI sized dice so good riddance. I am infamous for braking SWs at the wrong time, 1 snipers taking out my best leader, and heros dieing shortly after creation.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I might curse if things just go continuously wrong where chances say that they shouldn't. But the anger is very short lived and not directed at the opponent. I will never throw dice, upturn boards, or swish counters away.

Actually, I prefer people that do show a bit of emotion about good or bad situations. This is more natural that the 'total zen approach' IMHO. Thus I don't mind if people curse their dice or laugh at their snake-eyes pulverizing my key unit.

von Marwitz

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
News:

Two professional video gamers have been named by US media as the victims of a rival player in a shooting at an eSports tournament in Florida.

Eli Clayton, 21, and Taylor Robertson, 27, were both well-known players of the Madden NFL American football game.

Police say David Katz, 24, from Baltimore, carried out the attack at the Jacksonville Landing shopping and entertainment complex on Sunday.

Unconfirmed reports say Katz had become angry after losing a match.

------------------------

I like our friendly little ASL community.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After a long time, I have learned to laugh at it all. My 2s and 12s, his 2's and 12's, berserks, stalls, immobs, you name it, I laugh at it.

My Cardiologist told me to get the stress out of my life. I have recently learned to laugh a lot more. It's healthier.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After a long time, I have learned to laugh at it all. My 2s and 12s, his 2's and 12's, berserks, stalls, immobs, you name it, I laugh at it.

My Cardiologist told me to get the stress out of my life. I have recently learned to laugh a lot more. It's healthier.
There is an old chess axiom..."you learn more from a lost game than a won game".

One of my favorite things in ASL is the post game analysis...win or lose, I really enjoy the discussion of who did what when and the "what ifs".

Whoever the shooter was in Florida, I believe that he already had serious problems before he ever sat down to play that day. To many long, endless hours sitting in from of a monitor pouring his life into a game. I have never met or talked to any ASL player that took the game that seriously. In fact, I would say that boardgames in general are as much social exercises as they are the playing of the game.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
News:

Two professional video gamers have been named by US media as the victims of a rival player in a shooting at an eSports tournament in Florida.

Eli Clayton, 21, and Taylor Robertson, 27, were both well-known players of the Madden NFL American football game.

Police say David Katz, 24, from Baltimore, carried out the attack at the Jacksonville Landing shopping and entertainment complex on Sunday.

Unconfirmed reports say Katz had become angry after losing a match.

------------------------

I like our friendly little ASL community.

First safeguard:
ASL has too complicated rules to appeal to the masses.

Second safeguard:
ASL tournament play has so far (thankfully) barred the money out.

But then again if you look at some of the people from over the political section of this forum (which is basically a waste of time), you would not be surprised about anything.

von Marwitz

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Before ASL, I Hammer Tested so many dice I ran short of them. They were SPI sized dice so good riddance. I am infamous for braking SWs at the wrong time, 1 snipers taking out my best leader, and heros dieing shortly after creation.
I've gotten mad playing ASL but one of my roommates in college would go over the top (we mainly played Battletech and Star Fleet Battles). The most extreme was smashing two dice with a hammer, breaking a clip board over his own head, and throwing two dice in the woods behind the house. I haven't seen or gamed against him in over 25 years.