Do You Do It . . . Alone? Solitaire Poll

Do You Do It . . . Alone? Poll on Solitaire Play

• Alternative Lifestyle: When I want solo I play SASL

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Kiss From Your Sister: I'll play solitaire, but only to try out setups, learn the rules, playtest, e

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Happily Married, But Sometimes She Has a Headache . . . : I'll play solotaire sometimes, but general

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Onanist: I play exclusively solo. And I like it that way.

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Stop that! You'll grow hair on your palms! Go blind too! F2F only kind of guy.

Votes: 16 17.4%

• Total voters

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curious about people's solo habits. When I played Squad Leader and co. back in the day it was almost exclusively solotaire since all my friends wanted was D&D and Car Wars. Now I play a lot of my ASL F2F, but I still have some good solotaire experiences too. I guess that makes me Happily Married.

Last edited:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm afraid I can't edit poll options either. But I'll post a note in the Staff Forum and get one of the admin mods to pop over and make the correction when they get a moment. Hold tight. :)

EDIT: Quick response... Double Deuce popped over in less than 15 minutes and the poll has now been corrected. :thumup:

Last edited:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can't do it. I've tried numerous times to play solo. I've bought B-17, Patton's Best, RAF, Ambush and Battle Hymn thinking that I could play a solo game. Couldn't do it. I read the rules, try to play and 5 minutes later would put it on the shelf. I thought solo ASL might change me, but I couldn't even finish the rules.

I'm a social gamer. I've got to have a ftf oppponent. My favorite gaming is multi-player games. Matching wits with 3 or 4 other people be it wargames, euros, poker or whatever. I just can't do solo.

Peebs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, Baby. Where is the oil?

I work funky hours, some weeks second shift, some weeks thirds so SASL is there for me when I want it, when I NEED IT. :nuts:

THen I got into VASL and that has been a big boost in pointing out the error of my ways and teaching me volumes. SASL is not really good for learning the game but it is a cool way to get the fix and is just as surprising as regular ASL.

I do miss FtF though, nothing like getting your ass kicked in person, makes it more personable :whist:

Michael

Hexagoner

Reaction score
I would have responded to this poll, but unfortunately none of the responses fit me. I have never played solo/SASL, probably never would, but also don't have the time to play ftf. For me, it's VASL PBEM exclusively.

hex

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hexagoner, I would include VASL/PBEM (paradoxically I'll admit) under F2F play. The real issue is whether you prefer a partner or not, regardless of whether it's a long distance relationship. :)

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Matt,

Thanks for the clarification. OK - I voted 'ftf only'. ASL rules are brutal enough without having to grok the SASL stuff. I did buy it long ago, but never got through it. The only solitaire tactical small scale game I ever got through were the Ambush series, which were designed from the start as solitaire.

hex

karl

Lost in my own mind.
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I have a SASL match or two on the go for whenever I have a lull in my FTF, PBeM matches.

Cheers

Karl

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I often play solo - FtF opponents are difficult to find, though VASL has opened quite a lot of possibilities for me since last autumn.
I can give a clear testimony : I have no hearing problem linked to such an exercise - and no psychological negative effect has yet been detected... :p
Oh, and my wife never uses the "headache" excuse...

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Robert Wolkey said:
Can't do it. I've tried numerous times to play solo. I've bought B-17, Patton's Best, RAF, Ambush and Battle Hymn thinking that I could play a solo game. Couldn't do it. I read the rules, try to play and 5 minutes later would put it on the shelf. I thought solo ASL might change me, but I couldn't even finish the rules.

I'm a social gamer. I've got to have a ftf oppponent. My favorite gaming is multi-player games. Matching wits with 3 or 4 other people be it wargames, euros, poker or whatever. I just can't do solo.
This could be written by me, except that I've never bought a solo game, including SASL (which is the only official ASL product I lack). I've set up ASL for solo play a couple of times, but got bored during the first PFPh each time. My all-time favourite game is Advanced Civilization. Not even ASL beats a full day (or more likely night) of 7 experienced ACiv players.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
paulkenny said:
How come this pole makes me uneasy? :confused:
It's not just you Paul, your pole makes me uneasy too. :whist:

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Solitaire, but not SASL... yet!

Currently playing ASLSK#1 scenarios solitaire. I've got a copy of SASL, not using it yet, but fully intend to once the ASLRB gets reprinted and I've had a chance to learn the rules (or at least get enough of a start on learning the rules to start using SASL to help learn the rest.) This will be especially true after I get BV and actually have two opposing OOB that I can use to play SASL with. I know I can use VASL, but for stepping though all of this at least to begin with I'd like to have everything all out in front of me, pushing counters around still seems easier to me than VASL.

- Chad

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>My all-time favourite game is Advanced Civilization. Not even ASL beats a full day (or more likely night) of 7 experienced ACiv players.

Oh yes, AdCiv is THE game. Used to play that every year during the Spokane Game Faire. 14 hours of pure fun. Don't have many 14 straight hours sessions available to me any more, but I still hold onto AdCiv just in case I do.

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm curious what people think of the results (so far). About a quarter of you are emphatic on the point of F2F only (including VASL and PBEM in that catagory), and you gotta respect that. But about half apparently play regular scenarios solotaire at least some portion of the time, even with VASL and PBEM available. SASL weighs in at 20%--which strikes me as a relatively strong showing, especially since it seems to have kind of a low profile in the hobby in general.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Psycho1943 said:
It's not just you Paul, your pole makes me uneasy too. :whist:

Err um shouldn't it be POLL or am I missing something? :devil: :whist:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>But about half apparently play regular scenarios solotaire at least some portion of the time,

Yes. If you go to ConsimWorld you will find that a large number of of them (40-50%) are solitaire players. For a number of reasons. Most wargames can be played solo and guys enjoy playing that way. Also, the hobby is not that popular, so finding a ftf opponent is not easy. Even if you do find someone in the area your free time might conflict. For those unfortunates you play solo or not at all.