Do unplowed road hexes exist for streetfighting in Deep Snow?

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thread title is the Q.

Setting up "ASL T6 The Dead of Winter" FYI. (and off topic on my own thread: .. the German 37L AT Gun is pre-HEAT and thus mostly a noise maker... the pro-German scenario stats make me wonder if 50% of the German wins are from players who mistakenly gave the 37L AT stielgranate capability like I almost did. )

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The unplowed road is still a road.
Yeah that's exactly what my question boiled down to. It's E3.65 again on this question as well as the earlier trench question... "For purposes of Mud and Deep snow (3.62, 3.64, 3.731) only, Open Ground includes all unpaved (during mud) or unplowed (During Deep Snow) roads gullies...." etc. etc. This time I guess I see how the only allows the road to still exist as a road for 'attack' purposes.

I thought I was asking dumb questions, but this is rather reasonably tricky stuff imo.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roads are open ground (barring other terrain features) but all open ground are not roads. Unless the rule states that unplowed snow negates the existence of the road, it is still a road.

See also B3.43 -- road negating terrain EXC. for street fighting.

sc4joe

Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
Is a plowed road a road or grain or just plowed fields with no hindrances but the 1.5MF costs? LOL.....

On a serious note, nothing in the SSR negated the existence of the road. COWTRA.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B15.6 Grain does not exist and is treated as Open Ground outside its growing season which, if otherwise undefined, extends from June to September (inclusive). The effect of plowed fields in April and May retains the increased movement cost of grain, but is considered Open Ground for all other purposes.

Grain June to September. Plowed fields in April and May. Just OG October to March. Snow does not impact the absence of grain or plowed fields.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thread title is the Q.

Setting up "ASL T6 The Dead of Winter" FYI. (and off topic on my own thread: .. the German 37L AT Gun is pre-HEAT and thus mostly a noise maker... the pro-German scenario stats make me wonder if 50% of the German wins are from players who mistakenly gave the 37L AT stielgranate capability like I almost did. )
Try deliberate inmobilization with it. Use the trench movement without losing concealement to get in cc. Use ATT and HE with the tank gun vs the T34.... The soviet has to leave the board to win...

Best

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good tips. HE ATT vs T-34 interesting idea i "know" but rarely remember to use.

The game is well over but I could have used the tips. As it turned out I didnt need them.

I miscalculated minimum of exit units the Russian needed for win.... leading to a flawed set up that allowed Russian AFVs to make an end run around my position avoiding contact and winning too easily -- Except -- A T-34 caught a bogged-to-immob result and suddenly Ruskie strategy went from easy win to hopeless... there was no time for him to regroup and bring forward his infantry. This was lucky for me but also: a great plan that is brittle and overly committal isn't a great plan at all.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A 37mm ATT HE shot requires a three or two effects DR. Against the front of a T-34 that's probably your best shot but against the side/rear you are probably better off using AP with VTT. Against the side four is a possible shock, and you get ROF. Of course your best possible option: don't invade the Soviet Union.

JR

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I was thinking of the 75* ... few chances shooting on VTT, but one in six to get a inmmobilized result on ATT I think (not good at maths.... that devilish science....)... not great, but you also will hit the tankodesatniki.

The 37 it’s better to try to deliberate inmobilization I think...ROF 3 can give it to you... The only drawback it’s extreme winter and B10...

Cheers