Do LMG Fire in the Advancing Fire Phase

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LMG Do they fire in the advancing fire phase. We think so. I also think DM Germam med and heavys do too. Steve looked at the rules for more then ten minutes. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Robert. But, these are units which have moved. Not bounding Fire units. Does that make a difference? Tim

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Robert. But, these are units which have moved. Not bounding Fire units. Does that make a difference? Tim
Bounding fire is only for vehicles, you may be thinking of opportunity fire(A7.25).
The section you were looking for was A4.41
4.41 AFPh SW FIRE LIMITS: No MMG, HMG, mortar, INF/RCL SW, or 5/8" non-vehicular ordnance counter which moved [other than being Recovered (4.44)] during the MPh may fire during the ensuing AFPh [EXC: German dm MMG/HMG may fire as LMG; 9.8]. However, if such weapons remained stationary while their new owners moved into their Location, they can be fired during the ensuing AFPh with the normal penalties for fire in the AFPh—assuming they were Recovered during that MPh (4.44). A weapon fired during the AFPh cannot use Intensive Fire and is limited to one shot regardless of its ROF [EXC: if using Opportunity Fire; 7.25].

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LMG Do they fire in the advancing fire phase. We think so. I also think DM Germam med and heavys do too. Steve looked at the rules for more then ten minutes. Tim

You will not find a rule that specifically says "LMG may fire in the AFph". Units / weapons are all allowed to fire in the AFph unless restricted. So unless a rule specifically prohibits AFph firing for a particular unit / weapon then it is allowed. MMG, HMG are specifically prohibited from firing in AFPh if they were moved.

Same for Dismantled German HMG / MMG ....... they are specifically allowed to act as a an LMG with regard to AFph, so they are not restricted by the HMG / MMG (if moved) prohibition.

COWTRA. AFph firing is allowed by a blanket rules (s).

Seth

Last edited:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The missing rules reference is:

3.5 ADVANCING FIRE PHASE (AFPh): The ATTACKER’s units
which did not fire in the PFPh or attempt to perform a task requiring TI sta-
tus may fire at half FP (see C.4 for ordnance/vehicular fire) [EXC: FT/MOL/
DC (22-23) and Opportunity Firers (7.25) attack at full strength]. Remove all
Prep Fire and Bounding Fire counters at the end of this phase.
That is the broad rule on which Seth relies.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I said an LMG may fire during the AFPh.
It has been years that you post here about your playing ASL, and you still seem to miss basic notions (how have you managed the AFPh up to now?) and to mix up concepts such as speaking of Bounding fire for Infantry.
Have you managed to retrieve your rulebook that was stored in your attic?
If it is the case, I would recommend that you gave it a good read: it really helps grasp hiw the system works.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My rulebook is missing. Sadly. Don 2 came to my house in the wake of Historicon, and we set up the multifront Philillipine Scout/Stuart scenario against KP. We could not play because I could not find my rules. Alas. A major loss with the nationality extensions. I was about 90% plus sure that LMG and German dismantled MG could fire if moved. Thanks for confirming it. Steve spent 20 minutes trying to locate the rule, but failed to locate its source. Sorry for my ignorance of the rules. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
No great risk with me.
And you apparently know nothing of this old ongoing story - which has absolutely no connexion with my moderator status.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then, perhaps, "Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators when not in moderation mode, for they are subtle and quick to anger annoyance."

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I should have not asked the question...the difference was between a 21 plus four and a 25 plus four. Both of us at the game believed that LMG could fire in the advancing fire phase, but after Steve could not find a definitive answer in his rulebook, he asked me to ask the question. Once more into the woodshed. We both are somewhat rusty on the rules due to the Covid crisis combined with his spouse's disapproval of his gaming with me. This has cut back dramatically on our face to face play. Playing ASL with me is akin to marital infidelity in her view. Alas. No mas. Tim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I should have not asked the question...the difference was between a 21 plus four and a 25 plus four. Both of us at the game believed that LMG could fire in the advancing fire phase, but after Steve could not find a definitive answer in his rulebook, he asked me to ask the question. Once more into the woodshed. We both are somewhat rusty on the rules due to the Covid crisis combined with his spouse's disapproval of his gaming with me. This has cut back dramatically on our face to face play. Playing ASL with me is akin to marital infidelity in her view. Alas. No mas. Tim
If your ftf gaming time is limited don't squander it looking for rules, especially when the answer will have such little impact on the game. Just enjoy the game and remember that nobody plays it perfectly according to the rules so dont be overly concerned about it.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tim, you can pick up the electronic rule book at Wargame Vault. Google Wargame Vault, when you get there, just open an account and it is light money. You can use it from a PC, Laptop, tablet etc. All the rules plus Chapter H and the Korean War for good measure.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Tim, you can pick up the electronic rule book at Wargame Vault. Google Wargame Vault, when you get there, just open an account and it is light money. You can use it from a PC, Laptop, tablet etc. All the rules plus Chapter H and the Korean War for good measure.
About two years ago, IIRC, I even offered to purchase a pocket rulebook for him...
This situation, where Tim has his rulebook in his attic and cannot fetch it, remains an enigma for me.
The eASLRB would be an excellent idea, indeed.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About two years ago, IIRC, I even offered to purchase a pocket rulebook for him...
This situation, where Tim has his rulebook in his attic and cannot fetch it, remains an enigma for me.
The eASLRB would be an excellent idea, indeed.
Unless the computer gets stored in the attic at some point ;-). Sorry Tim, that one was low hanging fruit.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If your ftf gaming time is limited don't squander it looking for rules, especially when the answer will have such little impact on the game. Just enjoy the game and remember that nobody plays it perfectly according to the rules so dont be overly concerned about it.
Indeed...my regular opponent and I have an unwritten rule: 2 min per look up. If we can't find it, we make
a note and move on with the game. We look it up later. Mind you, we are both quite good at the rules.

Everyone's ftf time is limited, imho. I certainly don't want my time to be spent looking at rules. Understanding
the rules is part of being a good opponent. That's why I spend my otherwise free time (re)reading the book.

indy

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Indeed...my regular opponent and I have an unwritten rule: 2 min per look up. If we can't find it, we make
a note and move on with the game. We look it up later. Mind you, we are both quite good at the rules.

Everyone's ftf time is limited, imho. I certainly don't want my time to be spent looking at rules. Understanding
the rules is part of being a good opponent. That's why I spend my otherwise free time (re)reading the book.

indy
Excellent advice!🤗

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

indy
Last ASLOK I played Chad Cummings and we made a little game, we kept score if you wanted to look up a rule. If you were right you got a point. I let a few rule book lookups slide because I didn’t want to risk my side score, which I won 6-5 (I think).

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Last ASLOK I played Chad Cummings and we made a little game, we kept score if you wanted to look up a rule. If you were right you got a point. I let a few rule book lookups slide because I didn’t want to risk my side score, which I won 6-5 (I think).
That is pretty cool! I like it. That opens up a whole different aspect of competition for those who consider themselves rules knowledgeable. Very nice.