Do any of you prefer SL or ASLSK to ASL?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Lol. No. SK1 is genius as a launching point but unsatisfactory compared to ASL. SL needed to be reworked into ASL when it was and that hasn't changed.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The reason why this thread came about is that I became aware that there are large groups for both SL and ASLSK on Facebook. So it is obvious they both have a large (comparatively) following.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This. VSQL is a purpose built Squad Leader emulator. There have been numerous attempts to combine the four SL rulebooks into one electronic document which are available in different communities. Kind of what we all thought ASL was going to be in 1984 or so.
It was a shock, I forget how long we waited for ASL, and then the rule book looked like half of an encyclopedia set, Some of our SL play group fell over "dead". But the HS soldiered on for many more years.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started in 1977 with Squad Leader, and progressed to COI, COD & GI. But the rules started foulling everything up. In 1984, Avalon Hill decided to start over.
One set of rules for all theaters of war (SSRs as required) and the capability to include all nationalities that participated in the fighting. After 35 years of
scenario playing {started with ASL in 1985}, it's still holding up. ASLSK is designed to entice those who want to try, but are intimidated by the binder of
rules. I've played both ASL and ASLSK so I have no problems with either game system. {But I prefer ASL]

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Started in 1977 with Squad Leader, and progressed to COI, COD & GI. After 35 years of
scenario playing {started with ASL in 1985}, it's still holding up.
This gives a special ring to your forum name that you have adopted! ?

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Started in 1977 with Squad Leader, and progressed to COI, COD & GI. But the rules started foulling everything up. In 1984, Avalon Hill decided to start over.
One set of rules for all theaters of war (SSRs as required) and the capability to include all nationalities that participated in the fighting. After 35 years of
scenario playing {started with ASL in 1985}, it's still holding up. ASLSK is designed to entice those who want to try, but are intimidated by the binder of
rules. I've played both ASL and ASLSK so I have no problems with either game system. {But I prefer ASL]
Just a few years behind you starting SL but you have experienced it "from the beginning " ( great ELP song btw ) so well done!

Still look back at SL with great affection. For all it's flaws an incredible game.

When we started playtesting ASL I was shocked by the scope and quantity of the rules but soldiered on. Glad I did.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
By the time GI:Anvil of Victory heaved itself onto the shore I was done with Squad Leader. I bought it, of course, and took an immediate dislike to the module. Maybe it was the Command and Control rule, or the pink Level counters. There's a golf analogy here, not that I know much about the game or remember when I last hit a ball. Playing the original Squad Leader is like striding on to the course with that motley collection of irons, drivers, and putters you've acquired over the years from friends and family. Yes, you can have fun but wouldn't it be a lot more fun to throw your top-of-the-line clubs in the back of your cart at the clubhouse and set off? Which is like playing ASL. Starter Kit? Mini-putt. Still fun, of course, but you don't have to take it seriously.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Command and control rule was optional in GI, IIRC.
You are correct. Pulled out the old rules to check.

We didn't use any optional rules. Mark Nixon was surprised we used tracking counters as his group used the optional defensive fire rule.
We shied away from the optional rules as they weren't commonly used at tournaments and a large part of our play was prepping for tournaments

Last edited: