Do any of you prefer SL or ASLSK to ASL?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Was wondering if any players prefer the original SL or the simpler ASLSK to full blown ASL?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Nah. For a while I believed that I might play ASLSK much more often to get new people into the game. But in doing so, I found ASLSK surprisingly difficult to play because I needed to 'unlearn' a lot of things that work in ASL but are not there in ASLSK. This included 'viewing' the playing area with new eyes as VBM is NA in ASLSK for example. It felt similar like the first games learing PTO or Night. I found these things a greater burden that I had expected and consequently try to use full ASL rules when teaching someone new to the game (however chosing simple scenarios for the purpose).

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. I gave up teaching my son ASLSK and we just did full ASL. It was too hard for me to NOT do actions. Full ASL adds flavor, e.g., HOB, and that made things more fun, overall.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Nah. For a while I believed that I might play ASLSK much more often to get new people into the game. But in doing so, I found ASLSK surprisingly difficult to play because I needed to 'unlearn' a lot of things that work in ASL but are not ther in ASLSK. This included 'viewing' the playing area with new eyes as VBM is NA in ASLSK for example. It felt similar like the first games learing PTO or Night. I found these things a greater burden that I had expected and consequently try to use full ASL rules when teaching someone new to the game (however chosing simple scenarios for the purpose).

von Marwitz
It does seem that unlearning is difficult to do. Fish remembered all the playtest variations of the rules which at times made it frustrating for him. I had little problem with that as I easily forgot all the rules. ?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In earlier posts I bemoaned the loss of the SL Sniper and the Scout, still do, but full blown ASL is just such a superior game.

The Stanley Steamer automobile was fantastic when it came out but I doubt many people traded in their Model T for the nostalgia of stoking the Steamers boiler. No idea where that came from. ?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely NO to SL, it’s been dead to me for decades, I tried ASLSK while teaching my son for a few weeks and gave it up and forced him to learn real Men’s ASL.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
For a quick game that will probably be over in ~2 hours, I like how ASLSK has the content to provide an ASL experience without all extra chrome. So I prefer it for quicker games.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
For a quick game that will probably be over in ~2 hours, I like how ASLSK has the content to provide an ASL experience without all extra chrome. So I prefer it for quicker games.
Interesting. Do you find transitioning between the two difficult or have no problems? Is it like being bilingual? ?
Thanks

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I started one game of ASLSK with a friend who hadn't played ASL in 4 or so years, we finished one turn, and decided to do the rest with full ASL rules.
Sometimes lite just doesn't satisfy.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SL was great way back in the day, but no.

ASLSK is actually perfectly fine for those who don't want to make the ASL investment (time and $$$). IMO all it needs is a rulebook scrub/re-write/re-organizing. The rulebook feels like they took the simplified ruleset, put it in a bag, shook it up, then printed it out. It does have a reason for the way it's laid out (by game phases), but it needs a serious re-work IMO. But, SK is a perfectly fine ASL-lite system that's still a lot of fun. I recently played through most of SK and a full CG of Decision at Elst.

ASL...yes.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I have no problem playing the SK to teach the game (only).
But I only use infantry only scenarios.
SL is dead and was a pile of rubbish compared with the ASL/ASLSK. I switched to ASL without ever looking back.
I prefer ASL over the SK, because it us the real, full experience of the system.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Was wondering if any players prefer the original SL or the simpler ASLSK to full blown ASL?
There are groups on Facebook set up specifically for SL players and ASLSK - the classic SL group is quite active and I believe they have an annual tournament.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! Appreciate your reply.

Seems as if bouncing between the two causes issues for some and not so much for others.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I wonder if anyone who still plays Squad Leader uses VASL? I'm almost(almost)tempted to download it to have a look. The last post in the GS Squad Leader thread was October, 2018. On the other hand BoardGameGeek had a SL discussion yesterday so...it lives! And on ebay there are more than a few original SL board games and modules for sale, some of them unpunched. Has time travel been invented? I think it's been almost forty years since I played Squad Leader. That chapter's done.

As to a preference for SK or ASL it depends. Starter Kit plays faster because it's less complicated. Note to those veteran ASLers who are baffled by simplicity: If you want to play a Starter Kit scenario use what's in the box. There's no point in whipping out the Chapter B chart with its 31 terrain entries when you're setting up for S1 Retaking Vierville. The 9 listings on the single(!)SK #1 QRDC will tell you everything you need to know.

I'm lucky I have the option to play SK and/or ASL. Sometimes it's fun to rip through a game, sometimes it's fun to concentrate.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wonder if anyone who still plays Squad Leader uses VASL? I'm almost(almost)tempted to download it to have a look. The last post in the GS Squad Leader thread was October, 2018. On the other hand BoardGameGeek had a SL discussion yesterday so...it lives! And on ebay there are more than a few original SL board games and modules for sale, some of them unpunched. Has time travel been invented? I think it's been almost forty years since I played Squad Leader. That chapter's done.

As to a preference for SK or ASL it depends. Starter Kit plays faster because it's less complicated. Note to those veteran ASLers who are baffled by simplicity: If you want to play a Starter Kit scenario use what's in the box. There's no point in whipping out the Chapter B chart with its 31 terrain entries when you're setting up for S1 Retaking Vierville. The 9 listings on the single(!)SK #1 QRDC will tell you everything you need to know.

I'm lucky I have the option to play SK and/or ASL. Sometimes it's fun to rip through a game, sometimes it's fun to concentrate.
There’s an active community using VSQL

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There’s an active community using VSQL
This. VSQL is a purpose built Squad Leader emulator. There have been numerous attempts to combine the four SL rulebooks into one electronic document which are available in different communities. Kind of what we all thought ASL was going to be in 1984 or so.