DNO Fungwu vs Foggy [COMPLETE]

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was going to post this on the Matrix forums to cut down the number for DNO AARs going on, but since you can only post 1 pic per post there, you guys will have to suffer through yet another!

Anyway we are turn 5. I am too lazy to do all 3 army groups at once, so we will start with AGN.

I have split army group north into two parts, A and B.

AGN-A is made up of 10 infantry divisions and 4 security divisions as well as one corps worth of support elements.

They objective of AGN-A is to take Riga, and then take up a defensive position outside Leningrad and prevent any Soviet forces there attacking southwards.

Although AGN-A has a mostly defensive mission Foggy is sending in his units piecemeal so I will make attacks of opportunity if I can surround his units.

Currently I have almost cleared out Riga. I have about 4 soviet divisions surrounded north of the Dvinia and Foggy is sending 4 more to reinforce them. I intend to surround these as well as anything else he sends down from Estonia.

AGN-B gets all the panzer divisions, aircraft, and most of the support units. This adds up to 6 panzer and motorized divisions, 9 infantry divisions, 3 fighter and 6 bomber units. Also a supply unit and 3 railroad engineers.

AGN-B's objective is to move up the road to Rzhev, cross the river there and encircle Moscow from the north, assisting AGC in capturing that city. After Moscow is taken AGN-B will regroup and head north to cutoff the rail lines to Leningrad and capture that city from the rear.

Currently AGN-B has just destroyed Foggy's 22A army and now has nothing spotted for quite a distance in front of it.

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: DNO Fungwu vs Foggy

Here are a few pictures of army group center.

AGC is also in two groups. The northern group contains 3rd panzer army, some infantry divisions and lots of support units. Its goal is to drive straight towards Moscow through Vyzama while AGN attacks from the north.

The southern group contains 2nd panzer army and about 2 dozen infantry divisions. The panzers of this group will drive towards Tula and move to flank Moscow from the South. The infantry will head south towards Bryansk and secure the southern flank of my attack. Eventually the infantry of this group will meet up with infantry from army group south to form a continuous front.

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Turn 7...

Foggy neglected to move any of his units on the Finnish border. I promptly surrounded them, and will begin to eliminate them.

In the Baltic states I have surrounded about a half dozen infantry divisions and two armor divisions. If Foggy sends more reinforcements I will surround them as well.

Panzer group 4 advancing towards Rzhev was blocked by a soviet tank and infantry division, I got the tank division, but the infantry division will have to wait till next turn. My advance will consequently be slower.

Panzer group 3 took Smolensk last turn and has met a solid line of Foggy's divisions. I located a weak spot and partially broke the line, but Foggy will probably find something to plug the gap.

Panzer group 2 is advancing to make contact with Foggy's line, at the beginning of the turn they were confronted with an infantry division in their line of advance, they destroyed it and moved forward a little.

I am bringing up some infantry divisions to cover my southern flank from Bryansk down to Kursk.

In the south foggy has fallen back from the Stalin Line after I destroyed and encircled the southern part of it. He is now behind a river with some infantry and a few mech corps. I am trying to move around him, I found a weak spot at Vinnitisa that I will attack next turn if he doesn't reinforce it.

Also I am trying a few other spots to cross the river south of his main line. After I get across, some infantry will cut off his mech corps and the panzer divisions will bypass Kiev and try to cross the Dnepr.

The Romanians and their german support are trying to flank north around Foggy's line at the Bug and take Odessa from the north.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I was going to post this on the Matrix forums to cut down the number for DNO AARs going on, but since you can only post 1 pic per post there, you guys will have to suffer through yet another!
Ah, this is a better place for AARs, anyways, these forums are more functiona and look nicer. :D

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Turn 8:

Finland:

Finnish troops continue their rout of the Soviet border forces. A few divisions are eliminated and I advance openly down towards Leningrad, soon the Finns will reach their limit of advance.

Baltic States: I eliminated several Sov divisions here. I have 2 armored divisions surrounded south of Leningrad. Foggy looks like he will possibly send a rescue mission with another mech corps. I am readying some troops for this contingency.

AGN:

I eliminated the rifle division facing me at the beginning of the turn and advanced to Foggy's next line. This one held pretty well and I will have to batter through it next turn.

AGC:

After some excessive tank losses I made a good breakthrough south of Vyazama. I don't have too many reserves to push through the gap, but I have some, mostly infantry divisions.

Panzer group 2 under Guderian has not yet been committed to battle. I am deciding whether they will swing north and go through the gap panzer group 3 has made, or maybe to commit them north of Bryansk. I am waiting till recon reports come in on Foggy's defenses immediately in front of the panzers. If it is weak I will attack, if it is strong I may head north.

Between Gomel and Bryanks Foggy has amassed quite a few infantry divisions. My own infantry is trying to outflank and isolate them, but I am short on engineers.

In the south I have located a weak spot near Vinnitsa and have begun attacking with infantry. I have 2 panzer divisions ready if I can make a breakthrough.

Most of my panzers though have continued southeast towards Dneprvotsk. The Italians have made a breakthrough across the river and my panzers are ready to follow.

I have finished off most of the resistance north of Odessa and the Romanians and Germans are getting ready to take the city from the north.

Loss penalty was something like 1000 v 150. my losses have amounted to about 2500 heavy rifle squads, maybe 300 tanks and a few hundred planes.

Foggy

Reaction score

This has been a very interesting game:smoke: I have held to the Soviet tenet
of holding/counterattacking everywhere - my opponent is in the suburbs of Moscow:upset: The front line has to be seen to be believed - very high risk game - my reinforcements should be able to create a "kassel" of most of AG
center:D
Of course - Josh may take Moscow first!

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Make a kessel of AGC?! You got to be kidding,

I still have half of 4th and all of 2nd panzer army left to commit!

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark

Once again Wise Foggy goads valuable intel out of his opponent:D

Olorin4

Generalfeldmarschall
Reaction score
Country
llGreece

If this is true, then Foggy might have been a little bit overambitious in his assessment of the situation. :laugh:.

P.S. Fungwu, a weird combination of business and laziness made me take a short break from TOAW. You will receive my next turn when the summer effect has passed. :p

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Well, as of turn 22 I have captured Moscow.

At Leningrad Foggy has a line around the Luga, but only time will tell if it holds.

All forces at Moscow are set to be enveloped from the South as pnz group 2 advances from Tula.

My forces haven't taken Kiev quite yet, but Foggy has no line in the South and most of his forces there are destroyed.

Loss penalty is 3000+ soviet to 200 axis.

Foggy

Reaction score

Once again Wise Foggy goads valuable intel out of his opponent:D
I bow in your general direction sir:laugh: Actually it's been a fun game - a headshot is easily defeated - but I've treated this as a full blown assault:smoke: It would be too easy to not relocate factories ( my cardinal sin in this game) but I have saved all the turns so I shall try to guess how many reinforcements I would have had to date:yummy:
All being said - Josh - I never surrender:bite:
PS This does'nt apply to Fulcrum - what an unbalanced scen:upset:

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Well, if you not going to surrender, than send another turn already! :)

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Sorry for the lack of updates, too many games, too much work, beer etc.

The turn now is 26. Moscow has been taken, Stalin is killed, the soviet army is mostly destroyed and the survivors are in disarray.

Loss penalty is 3621 Soviet vs 154 Axis, or 23.5 to 1!

I have attached screen shots of my losses for tanks, infantry, and planes. As you can see they are all fairly light.

In the north the objective now is to attack Leningrad. I had stripped this front of attacking power so as to reinforce my attack on Moscow. Now that Moscow is taken Leningrad should fall next. This will both knock a couple more points off of Foggy's replacements and also send EEV over 100% and initiate 4% pestilence.

I have some infantry and 1 tired pz div attacking Leningrad now and making some good progress. I have 2 fully fresh pz divs that are being railed in right now to complete the attack. Also I plan on assembling and resting some of the artillery at Moscow and sending that as well. Paratroops are also available if needed.

South East of Leningrad Foggy has a line of about 20 or so infantry divisions. I am pushing through both flanks to encircle them. I have 4 or 5 motor and panzer divisions resting near Vyazama. Once they are resupplied they will complete the attack.

At Moscow most resistance is destroyed. Some more forces remain that will be encircled and destroyed.

From Moscow on South Foggy lacks and sort of front, but he has some scattered units. Against these I am advancing towards some future stop line.

Kharkov is not taken yet, but it is as of yet lightly defended. I am advancing on it with several infantry divisions from the north, and many more from the west.

Dneprpetrovsk is being encircled and about 6 panzer and motor divisions will push on from there towards Stalino and Rostov.

Olorin4

Generalfeldmarschall
Reaction score
Country
llGreece

Oh my God! The Russians have no front and now it's too late to form a new one. What a collapse! How did this happen? We missed some action in early turns, did he lose too much there? I imagine that after your initial advance, he tried to defend too much to the west?

Last edited:

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

His first lines were too weak and I crushed them. His reinforcements came in piecemeal, and so I ate them up.

Basically, everything went according to plan :smoke:

Last edited:

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

A quick update:

Turn is now 30, mud comes soon.

Soviet loss penalty is ~4000
Axis loss penalty ~200

I took Leningrad this turn, EEV will go over 100 and Foggy will get 4% pestilence for a few turns.

Sevastopol is the last EEV city remaining, my troops are adjacent to it right now, but Foggy has some reinforcements stacked up to ship in. I on the other hand don't have any more troops near it.

In the South my forces drive on Stalino and Ultimately Rostov.

In the central sector I have Voronezh surrounded. My forces have probably advanced far enough, there aren't many objectives left to take. I am starting to form a defensive line.

At Moscow I am holding off some weak forces marching in from Gorky. I think I will assemble some dozen are so pz divisions lying around and attack towards Gorky once mud ends.

In the Valdai region I am closing the jaws and some dozen or so soviet divisions that have held out so far.

Now that Leningrad is taken I will mop up and rest.