DnO Bug??

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
In our DnO Multiplayer game, we, the Axis, have opened turn 10 only to find ourselves suffering from one of the supply disorganization shock turns. According to the briefing, the first is supposed to fall between T15-19.

Is this a bug or are we missing something in the briefing?

RavenStrike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In two DNO games so far, the supply disorganization has never occured within the time frame that the briefing doc says it would. Don't know if that's a bug or just dated documentation. I've found a couple other small inconsistencies, which I've just chalked up to outdated doc and real life surprises. :surprise:

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I had the same in an old DNO 3.5, first Axis Supply Disorg shock at July 23rd ! I though that that was fixed in 3.6 ? Aparently not :/
The other thing I found really annoying (although its in the manual) :Axis Pest 1 beginning August 6th (turn 14). I've never understood why 1% of all german equipment should vanish every turn, certainly not from desertions and certainly its also to early for the mud season or even winter effects.

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Kraut said:
I had the same in an old DNO 3.5, first Axis Supply Disorg shock at July 23rd ! I though that that was fixed in 3.6 ? Aparently not :/
The other thing I found really annoying (although its in the manual) :Axis Pest 1 beginning August 6th (turn 14). I've never understood why 1% of all german equipment should vanish every turn, certainly not from desertions and certainly its also to early for the mud season or even winter effects.
Lack of maintenance? IIRC by the end of Sept. something like 50% of all German tanks were unserviceable for lack of maintenance, not from combat.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
JMS said:
Lack of maintenance? IIRC by the end of Sept. something like 50% of all German tanks were unserviceable for lack of maintenance, not from combat.
In that case it would be a whole lot better to simply reduce the replacement rate of tanks and give the germans a larger starting on hand tank pool.
I have the same problems with the mid game 50% Axis replacement reduction, what it meant to simulate is that the reserve army is used up and new recruits have to be trained but if affects ALL equipment, panzer production is halved, aircraft production, artillery, ... again it would be a lot better to start the game with the already low HRS replacement rate but let the germans start with an additional on hand pool of 14000 HRS.

Foggy

Reaction score
I read the DNO scen notes while bored to death in a meeting :D it does use the word variable multiple times - I wondered if something like this was going to happen w/so many different commanders - not that I'm complaining :cheeky:

Last edited:

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Kraut said:
In that case it would be a whole lot better to simply reduce the replacement rate of tanks and give the germans a larger starting on hand tank pool.
I have the same problems with the mid game 50% Axis replacement reduction, what it meant to simulate is that the reserve army is used up and new recruits have to be trained but if affects ALL equipment, panzer production is halved, aircraft production, artillery, ... again it would be a lot better to start the game with the already low HRS replacement rate but let the germans start with an additional on hand pool of 14000 HRS.
Agreed. Another alternative is using disband units with the replacements for the week/month, but that will need both events and unit slots to be available.

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kraut said:
Actually, pestilence only kills living things like squads and horse teams. Inanimate equipment is only returned to the pools. To illustrate, for example, if pestilence was 10%, then 5% (on average) of all squads and horse teams would be permanently lost, 5% would be returned to the pools, and 5% of all other equipment would be returned to the pools as well.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Menschenfresser said:
In our DnO Multiplayer game, we, the Axis, have opened turn 10 only to find ourselves suffering from one of the supply disorganization shock turns. According to the briefing, the first is supposed to fall between T15-19.

Is this a bug or are we missing something in the briefing?
Sorry for bringing this back, but I am just scrolling through the DNO scenario dump and found this event triggering a disorg shock:

Code:
  Event: 61, Axis Supply Disorganisation Shock: 80
  Trigger turn: 10 (July 23rd, 1941).
  Effect: Shock 1.
  Value: 80.
  Turn range = 10...14.
The other three mentioned shock events will still happen (15-19, 20-24 and 25-29) so there are 4 axis supply disorg shocks, not just three :cry:

some more oddities or missing informations:

Briefing and on-map text says that the fall of Moscow will drop soviet replacements by 10% when in fact it will drop by 15%

Early release of Kriegsmarine will also increase german sea transport capacity to 3000

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
"Supply Disorganisation Shock"??? Never heard of it... at least i don't have it in my events list. Is it a proper event?

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Are you looking at DNO 3.6 ? They are quite definitively in 3.6 , check event 61, 152, 154 and 193.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Kraut said:
Are you looking at DNO 3.6 ? They are quite definitively in 3.6 , check event 61, 152, 154 and 193.
No... i was speaking in general. I open the design editor for a new scenario and can't find that type of event (i'm running 1.04). I believe it is at DNO events list but how come isn't in the "regular" editor events list? I can see the "old" supply radius, supply +/- and the air and "ground" shocks but any supply disorganisation shock.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ah, no, it's just a regular shock meant to simulate supply problems. The designer thought that simply reducing the supply rate for a turn wasn't enough to achieve the desired affect and so he used the shock event.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Kraut said:
Ah, no, it's just a regular shock meant to simulate supply problems. The designer thought that simply reducing the supply rate for a turn wasn't enough to achieve the desired affect and so he used the shock event.
Oh, I see... so nothing wrong with "my" design editor. Never played DNO that's the problem...
Thanks

Stauffenberg

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
DnO Update

Gentlemen,

Re some of the comments made on DnO.

--Agreed on the points made by Kraut, JMS, and Bob Cross on equipment. I'll modify the pest to start in winter and handle German equipment in the manner suggested.

--Re Supply disorg, this was changed in 3.6 and the changes slipped through the cracks in the notes.

--Next version will also have Soviet aircraft grouped according to range.

As to when I'll get to 3.7 I'm not sure right now. I think you can appreciate its rather a ridiculous amount of work for one person; however, at this point I have a team of people and a whole new lease on life thereby re design possibilities. The current TOAW project is a hypothetical southern hook on Moscow 1942 from the Kursk-Voronezh area at 2 km hex/half day turns. Playtesting should start this summer sometime as map and OB are done. After that DnO is top of my list, and a complete remake of Braunschweig is something I have wanted to do for ages. In any case, perhaps you could use this thread to list out changes you would like for DnO and I'll make a note of them.

BTW Does one have to have a flag? If so, I'd prefer the attached.

Regards,

Daniel

Last edited:

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Stauffenberg said:
The current TOAW project is a hypothetical southern hook on Moscow 1942 from the Kursk-Voronezh area at 2 km hex/half day turns. Playtesting should start this summer sometime as map and OB are done.
Daniel
Cool.
Looking forward to seeing this one.