DnO Bug??

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Guys, you seem to have the wrong impression of micromanagement, it's not like work or that I have thousands of spreadsheat with all the important TOAW nuts&bolts lying next to my computer and spent a few houres a day to study them :crosseye:

This is just knowledge that comes with playing a lot of TOAW and it becomes natural, its part of the fun that is playing TOAW. It maybe helped that I never played tabletop wargames but directly started with computer wargames, I got used to this complex stuff :p

You might see my 5-5 counter and your 20-20 and think: cool, I am gonna stomp him into the ground, I will select my 5-5 and discover with delight that it's some elite KingTiger and as I know from previous recon mission your 20-20 are conscript BT-7 so I know that I am gonna stop you into the ground :)
Its probably the same with chess, first you have to learn just how every unit can move, later you discover some special moves, the rochade, en-passent or that your peasant can become a dame, much later you discover the science of chess, mid game positions, end game tactics and so on. At first this might seem like work, having to study other games, analyzing your games etc but it soon becomes really naturall and you no longer have to think about it, you just do the right thing by intuition.

There are TOAW scenarios that play really great without all this advanced knowledge, EuropeAflame for example, but if a person with some decent in-deepth TOAW knowledge starts playing these games, pushing it to the boundaries of the game engine it might get really out of hand (should I say 26-combat-rounds-Mantis? ;) )
Than there are other scenarios that almost require this in-deepth knowledge to play them successfully, most of Daniel McBrides scenarios fall into this cathegory (at least if you are the attacker). (and I dont mean exploiting the system, I really only mean micromanagement and advanced tactics)

You simply have to select the scenarios that best fit your playstyle and you'll have a blast, simple as that :)

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Well, to me it makes sense what Kraut says. I have surely not played as much as other people here, but I have a very distinct feeling that the level of micromanagement required depends on the opponent and perhaps above all on the scenario. It seems to me that some scenarios are indeed constructed with micromanagement a vital necessity, for instance GiO. Not maximising rounds will get the Soviet player nowhere. And then, once you start, it gets somewhat natural I suppose to seek to control the beast... Then theere will be a very thin line between what is gamey and what is not. The 10 round soaking off attacks, I don't know, they don't feel right, but they are very logical...

How much of this would simply not be an issue in TOAW 3, powered by Norm's Sublime Engine? :devious: