DM or Not

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In our local Fog of War tournament this last Saturday we came across a situation that we were unable to answer using the Rulebook. Any help from you Rules Lawyers out there would be appreciated. Here is the question:

A broken squad is in a woods hex and it fails to rally in it's rally phase. That same woods hex has an unhampered flame in it which is going to turn into a blaze. The squad has nothing happen to it to DM it again and Rule A 10.5 states that a broken unit must rout out of a blaze hex. If it is not fired on or interdicted during this rout is the unit marked with a DM counter at the end of the rout phase if it can reach a building or another woods hex? Thanks for your help.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First of all, the flame does not automatically become a blaze - you still have to roll for it.

But you become DM by breaking, or being fired upon, or being adjacent to an armed enemy unit...

None of those things happened, so you're not DM - but you have to rout because of the rule you cited.

Sam

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SamB said:
First of all, the flame does not automatically become a blaze - you still have to roll for it.

But you become DM by breaking, or being fired upon, or being adjacent to an armed enemy unit...

None of those things happened, so you're not DM - but you have to rout because of the rule you cited.

Sam
Yes I knew you had to roll for the flame to become a blaze but thanks for clarifying that Sam, I didn't make that clear. This answer is what we came up with also, so is this the only case where a non-DMed broken unit can rout or are there others.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As far as I know, this is the only way a non-DM unit can rout. This is only possible because a "higher numbered" rule requires the rout.

Sam