DIY Coasters made from unwanted counters

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
On the Yanks/Doomed Battalions/ Hakkaa Paalle reprint thread I was teasing some posters about discarding their old Finnish counters. I suggested they find an honorable and useful alternative for those pieces that had served them so well.

Along with propping up a wobbly table another haha was converting them to coasters. While meant as a funny the more I thought about it the more I liked it.

On Amazon you can get 30 pieces of square cork, 4 inches by 4 inches with a self adhesive backing for $7.98. Simply peel of the backing, mount the counters and you're done!

So if you are wondering what to do with those old counters consider this option.

Other crafty suggestions are welcome, serious and perhaps factitious. 😉🤔🤣

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You could also decoupage them onto a coffee table with clear resin or some other material. Even under a sheet of glass.

Be creative and include mapsheets with a setup for your favorite scenarios or just the mapsheets themselves. Play anytime without worrying about mapsheets getting abused.

I'd do the Red Barricades map but Actiondebbie wouldn't be amused if I decoupaged her good coffee table. My ancient table is made of the top of a cable spool and half of a wine barrel and might work. It already bears the scars of hundreds of scenarios from bitd when I would secure the boards to it with thumbtacks.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Harkening back to the Too Much ASL Not Enough Room thread this is also a solution for those unwanted boxes. They could be laminated and used as placemats next to your counter coasters on your decoupaged coffee table. 😉🤗

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
On the Yanks/Doomed Battalions/ Hakkaa Paalle reprint thread I was teasing some posters about discarding their old Finnish counters. I suggested they find an honorable and useful alternative for those pieces that had served them so well.

Along with propping up a wobbly table another haha was converting them to coasters. While meant as a funny the more I thought about it the more I liked it.

On Amazon you can get 30 pieces of square cork, 4 inches by 4 inches with a self adhesive backing for $7.98. Simply peel of the backing, mount the counters and you're done!

So if you are wondering what to do with those old counters consider this option.

Other crafty suggestions are welcome, serious and perhaps factitious. 😉🤔🤣
Great idea but.....

the cardboard warriors would get wet from the condensation/spillage from the glass. And wet cardboard is not good. I would think you would have to put lacquer or something on the top and sides to protect them.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Great idea but.....

the cardboard warriors would get wet from the condensation/spillage from the glass. And wet cardboard is not good. I would think you would have to put lacquer or something on the top and sides to protect them.
Yes would have to spray them with clear coat or something similar. They were going to get trashed anyway so even if they do get damaged it's not a great loss.

Thanks for the input. 🤗

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We should have an artist create portraits of the leading lights in ASL out of ASL counters.

Or mail them to Pitman to refresh his "bathwater."

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We should have an artist create portraits of the leading lights in ASL out of ASL counters.

Or mail them to Pitman to refresh his "bathwater."
Lol just need a talented artist!

On an episode of Cutthroat Kitchen Alton had a portrait of himself made from various types of pasta. The chef given that sabotage had to harvest their pasta for their pasta dish from the portrait. Funny stuff!🤣🤣

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
My wife messes about with resins. It's her hobby. And as it happens has just started creating a table for use outside based on some old ASL maps and counters...

Early stages yet but...

It's an old damaged table which we set on fire after leaving an ethanol table top burner unattended after I had fed too much fuel onto it....ahem....

This will basically be covered in resin, it left to dry, so we have a usable, ASL themed, drinks top.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My wife messes about with resins. It's her hobby. And as it happens has just started creating a table for use outside based on some old ASL maps and counters...

Early stages yet but...

View attachment 17317

It's an old damaged table which we set on fire after leaving an ethanol table top burner unattended after I had fed too much fuel onto it....ahem....

This will basically be covered in resin, it left to dry, so we have a usable, ASL themed, drinks top.
Lol! Outstanding!! Actiondebbie thought it was pretty cool too.

Somewhat in the vein of over fueling your lamp I can also pass on this bit of advice. Never put your hibachi grill fully stocked with hot charcoal on top of a glass table!🙄🙄😔😔

It was really thick glass too. Luckily it all fell on gravel or could have been much worse than a shattered table top.☹☹

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Early stages yet but...

View attachment 17317

Martin showed what can be done with a little imagination and the significant other's craft supplies. Please post photos of your creative endeavors so we can all be inspired. 🤗