Dividing your forces.... ever a good idea?

FrankJ

Cap'n Crud
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did some research on the anvil/hammer tactic. It is defined as the attacking and defending forces being fixed in a frontal attack, and a strong mobile unit of the attacker maneuvers around the flank of the defenders and attacks them from behind. It's seems this tactic was successful against the Romans. If I remember right, It was also used by the Romans in the opening scene of Gladiator. This tactic seems to fit in Fred's earlier post about the four "F"s, find 'em, fix 'em, flank 'em, fight 'em. In ASL there might be the temptation to use armor in a frontal assault, but a more risky flanking assault at the right time may pay higher dividends. Learning how to use combined forces effectively is just one of the great things about ASL.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It can translate as you said to the 4 F's and the 4 B's,

Attacking:
Feel/Find/Fix & F*&K em

Defending:
Blind em/Block em/Bash em & then Bugger em.

words are different but the effects are the same, but in a standard ASL scenario I would suggest unless you are facing a weak opponent and you have powerful toys you are not going to have a massive advantage in numbers to pull this off, so you end up hitting the enemy on-mass, also martin pointed out and i think somewhere ASL itself states that a scenario is if you will THE point of decision in a battle.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(Sometimes) a divided force is useful because it could give you two opportunities to win instead of one.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It is quite dependent on the VC.
With VC objectives wide appart, you don't have the choice but to split forces, for an example.
Some scenarios also have reinforcements enter the map at a distance from onboard forces.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
It is quite dependent on the VC.
With VC objectives wide appart, you don't have the choice but to split forces, for an example.
Agreed. Currently working up a defense for AP33 'Second Cristot'. The two VC hexes are on two different boards. Either he will bring one large, smashing attack up the seam and then filter units off to both sides or he will launch two separate attack forces, one on each board. It just doesn't seem like there is enough time to smash headlong at one VC hex, Control it, then turn and attack towards the other. Given 8 Turns on such a small footprint of the map, I will not rule out this possibility though.