Dividers for old school counter trays. And Box-All info.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
RAACO is now local to me :) I may need to find a dealer. -- jim
There is outlets for it in Germany, you could become the RAACO mule for the guys back home Jim!!

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Will mule ASL from the states for RAACO :). I have an APO so I am not paying the huge shipping costs to the EU :) -- jim

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just buy more RAACO if needed

Sure, that works great if using Raaco. But I built a cabinet for these counter trays and I like the way they work. I like Raaco too but I am all set up with these trays. Also I wanted to get more separation into this one particular tray, not add another tray.

I use the 20 compartment black trays for infantry and system counters. Had originally planned on using them for vehicles but as the system has expanded I do not have room or enough trays for that. Recently discovered in another thread here the AideTek Box-All. Planning to use those for vehicles and shelve them like books on a shelf in the tray cabinet. Thought I might go with Raaco for vehicles but the density is not enough (even with 8 compartment units) to get everything on my shelf. With one vehicle type per compartment. The Box-All has double the density.

Seth

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Sure, that works great if using Raaco. But I built a cabinet for these counter trays and I like the way they work. I like Raaco too but I am all set up with these trays. Also I wanted to get more separation into this one particular tray, not add another tray.

I use the 20 compartment black trays for infantry and system counters. Had originally planned on using them for vehicles but as the system has expanded I do not have room or enough trays for that. Recently discovered in another thread here the AideTek Box-All. Planning to use those for vehicles and shelve them like books on a shelf in the tray cabinet. Thought I might go with Raaco for vehicles but the density is not enough (even with 8 compartment units) to get everything on my shelf. With one vehicle type per compartment. The Box-All has double the density.

Seth
Seth one RAACO box using the A75 inserts can hold 4,00 counters

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seth one RAACO box using the A75 inserts can hold 4,00 counters
Lets see one Raaco box with sixteen inserts, each insert with eight compartments. So 128 compartments. Unless you put more than one vehicle type in each compartment or do custom inserts or add dividers or indexing pieces. I'd like to do one vehicle per compartment without modifying. So with that in mind 128 vehicle type per Raaco box.

The Box-All has 144 individual compartments in a space about half the size of a Raaco box. So in the same space (a little less actually) 288 compartments. I like Raaco a lot I have some that are combined with Systainers for things. For my vehicle storage I think the Box-All will work better.

See picture for tray cabinet. Both sides have the black trays in individual slots. Originally planned to hold the whole system. But not anymore. Right below the sliding doors is a shelf that I plan to put the Box-All on like books. It will hold 23 Box-All or 8 Raaco.

Seth

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I use the Five compartment trays for my tanks and gun counters and are placed in Ch H order for ease of finding, they are stored vertical with a divider separating them with the vehicle name and Ch H number on them so 250 counters to a tray 16 to a box much more compact ,however to each their own and nobody’s systems are perfect .

Attachments

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use the Five compartment trays for my tanks and gun counters and are placed in Ch H order for ease of finding, they are stored vertical with a divider separating them with the vehicle name and Ch H number on them so 250 counters to a tray 16 to a box much more compact ,however to each their own and nobody’s systems are perfect .

That is an awesome set up with the labeled indexing dividers. I plan to store in chapter H order. I am not sure if or how I will label the compartments. Right now I just have one Box-All to try it out.

Each compartment will hold a stack of six 5/8" counters. The compartments snap shut securely. And when folded shut the tabs press against the lid on the opposite half. Ensuring that they can't pop open while closed like a book.

I think the Box-All might actually help me get this done since added dividers and labels are not necessarily needed.

Seth

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is an awesome set up with the labeled indexing dividers. I plan to store in chapter H order. I am not sure if or how I will label the compartments. Right now I just have one Box-All to try it out.

Each compartment will hold a stack of six 5/8" counters. The compartments snap shut securely. And when folded shut the tabs press against the lid on the opposite half. Ensuring that they can't pop open while closed like a book.

I think the Box-All might actually help me get this done since added dividers and labels are not necessarily needed.

View attachment 11680View attachment 11681View attachment 11682View attachment 11683View attachment 11684

Seth
If you touch the sides of a compartment with tweezers does the nose light up and buzz?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I did a subdividing experiment on an old school counter tray that I use. Worked out pretty good. Cut pieces from another defective tray with an exacto and superglued them into this tray.

Seth
The law of diminishing returns kind of informs how I store my own stuff. For example, you have separate bins for example for First Fire AAMG and First Fire BMG, which you had to make with scissors and superglue.

My thought is - if you mixed both these counter types into an unaltered bin - you have a 50% chance of pulling the one you need sight unseen, and by the time you look at three counters you're pretty much guaranteed to have the one you want. Even with all six categories mixed together, it's a 20% chance you'll find the one you want on the first try.

On the other hand, with the additional subdivisions during clean up (unless you're really diligent during play) it's going to take a little longer to figure out the identity of each counter pulled, and remembering which bin is which. If you have all six types mixed together, you can just pitch them in based on their colour and not even have to read the text.

To each his own, but for me, I've found having a lot of subdivisions provides no real advantage.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought about doing the 50 / 50 (two in each regular sized bin). True without even really looking you would get a 50 % chance, but then half the time it will be wrong. Partial separation means that you need to look to make sure that the pairings remain the same during clean up.

I have had them all in one bin for a while. Nothing but a pain to look through (16.67% chance on a grab is not good enough) especially since some of them get flipped while poking around.

Full separation will take about the same amount of time during clean up as partial separation because you have to look either way. Besides I am not usually in a hurry when putting them away ..... chit chatting with opponent about the game, etc.

In any case we are not talking about very much time during clean up, but all in one during the game has proven to be a nuisance.

I still haven't actually used the divided one yet. I'll see how it works out over the next couple weeks. In any case it is a good experiment to get additional division in an exiting type of counter tray.

Pros and cons all around.

Seth

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you touch the sides of a compartment with tweezers does the nose light up and buzz?

Yes! It gets to be a real hassle pulling counters. ;)

Alternatively you can open one compartment and dump the six counters out into your hand or on the table.

Seth

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I keep being tempted by the Box-All, but I'm not ready to commit to it yet. I wonder how easy is it to recognize the counters inside the bins with the lids closed (the plastic appears translucent). I'd also have to figure out how many of 'em I'd need to reconfigure my current counter storage into it.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am planning to get a full set of vehicles into the Box-All within the next few days. That will tell a lot about visibility and usability. It comes with a sheet of small white labels that will fit on the compartment lids. Not sure if I will label or not.

I would not want the Box-All for all types of counters but for things that will just be pulled at the start I think they will work well.

I will know soon.

There are several compartment size configurations in the Box-All line.

Seth

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

View attachment 11680View attachment 11681View attachment 11682View attachment 11683View attachment 11684

Seth
I like this!

It seems to be as close as it gets towards 3D-printed stuff.
With regard to storing-space efficiency, I believe it might be superior to RAACO A78/A75 inserts. And there will be less counter mingling when the storage is moved without caution.

Some questions:
  • Can vehicles and/or stacks of them be easily retrieved with pincers?
  • Can vehicles and their data be discerned easily without the lid being opened?

• (Edit: Just read that this has been asked before. Looking forward to the reports.)
von Marwitz

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been trying out the Box-All 48 set for AFV/Gun storage. It requires making dividers, but I have a massive supply of old business cards that can be cut/bent/glued into useful shapes for that purpose (see yellow highlights). I have the counters stored on edge (similar to Olli's system) and will be adding labelled tabs to separate different counters within each bin. Tweezers/pincers easily grab desired counters.

Each lid can accommodate 4 sheets worth of 5/8" counters. In this picture I have stored double sets of BGD KMT & KMT(Blue) AFV/Guns (a total of 2 sheets each) which nicely fits one lid. I can also fit double sets of BGD US Army, USMC, and Japanese in one complete box (2 lids).