Diverse Round 2

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
Is it really necessary to complain about each scenario before the others have even played it? I can see why so few people bother going to the trouble of putting tournaments together anymore.

I'm installing CM:BB on my laptop as we speak and hopefully my technical issues will not be repeated.
Some passion and blowing of steam is to be expected and shows that the players put effort and emotion into the tournament. And if you are worried about balance, look at the scores of the games presented so far, a draw and a very narrow minor victory so in the cold hard logic of the computer it seems that it is pretty even, so far at least.
But if you want to play it completely without any hint of information I'm sure that Kerry or someone else can email you any vital tournament information should you decide to stay out of the current round threads completely.

Lurker

Reaction score
Good scenario Kerry! I had a chance to look at my opponents initial disposition and my tempered opinion has changed somewhat. :)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "Diverse" scenarios live up to their name with the wide range of "Diverse" units each side has and the terrain from one scenario to another. You will find very few common groupings of units so nothing can be taken for granted (minus Rd4 which is more "normal"). It all depends on how you use the units you have once you ID the enemies units. As with most scenarios it's up to the players to use those units to their best tactical advantage to complete the mission they are given. The balance in formations is on the strategic level not a "like unit for like unit" comparison. Ex. One side might have 2 tanks while the other has no tanks but 4 ATG's. Or one side has more Inf Sqd's while the other has barbwire. :p

A part of the fun of these scenarios is seeing the un-common units you have to complete your mission and the chance to use different tactics/skills instead of the normal - Inf/Tank combos.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the scenarios as some players like one type & not the other or the units they have to work with. But spoilers should be avoided. :) I expect all the matches to be close just based on the map designs: they are meant to be hotly contested and not "overruns." {So far each side has won 1 game.}

Last edited:

MeatEtr

Reaction score
Battle Finished: Mangus2000 vs. MeatEtr

Axis Tactical Victory 31 - 69

Good game Mangus, I enjoyed it. :salute:

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
Battle Finished: Mangus2000 vs. MeatEtr

Axis Tactical Victory 31 - 69

Good game Mangus, I enjoyed it. :salute:
Seems like I have my work cut out for me in round 3, two Tactical wins for MeatEtr doesn't bode well for me. Perhaps you could give me a handicap of some sort :p

Last edited:

jdsu

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Game finished.

Michael Dorosh tried a high risk gambit and paid a heavy price. Go home or go broke. Broke it was. Auto surrendered on Turn 28.

Axis Total Victory 5 - 95 Michael Dorash vs jdsu

BigAlMoho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Game finished.

Michael Dorosh tried a high risk gambit and paid a heavy price. Go home or go broke. Broke it was. Auto surrendered on Turn 28.

Axis Total Victory 5 - 95 Michael Dorash vs jdsu
I certainly would have expected better from Mr. Dorosh... Such a lopsided loss has an effect similar to surrendering intentionally - hhmmm...

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The difference is- if you ceasefire you'll get a much better outcome on the split.
An Auto-surrender is usually 95/5 as noted if I remember right.

In a tourney with points affecting the outcome I can see a player asking for a ceasefire (in his email & not just by using the button) to end the game for whatever reason and his opponent saying, "ok but I want to occupy that neutral flag I'm about to overrun anyway."

If you see you are going to lose unless you take desperate actions a last second "all or nothing" attack can never be ruled out.

BigAlMoho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The difference is- if you ceasefire you'll get a much better outcome on the split.
An Auto-surrender is usually 95/5 as noted if I remember right.

In a tourney with points affecting the outcome I can see a player asking for a ceasefire (in his email & not just by using the button) to end the game for whatever reason and his opponent saying, "ok but I want to occupy that neutral flag I'm about to overrun anyway."

If you see you are going to lose unless you take desperate actions a last second "all or nothing" attack can never be ruled out.
Yes, sir, all valid points...

It just seems that extreme results happen from extreme behavior... And so, it seems to me, the most skewing of the overall tournament outcome comes from a small number extreme results probably caused by extreme behavior... In the name of being fair to the more competent and attentive players, it might produce better tournament results to eliminate the extremes from the scoring system, such as:
Scoring:
Total or Major victory = 13
Tactical victory = 11
Minor victory = 9
Draw = 7
Minor loss = 5
Tactical loss = 3
Total or Major loss = 1

or this might be even better:
Scoring:
Total or Major victory = 6
Tactical victory = 5
Minor victory = 4
Draw = 3
Minor loss = 2
Tactical loss = 1
Total or Major loss = 0

BTW - I don't necessarily mean to say that we should adopt this suggestion for this tournament (unless a groundswell of support occurs, of course!)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am still not aware of having received a Round 2 game :(

I did receive round 3 instructions.