Diverse Round 2

Lurker

Reaction score
I think an argument could be made that this game in general is won or lost during setup (to a large degree) and that lack of attention to setup very often leads to some nasty surprises that then have to be compensated for, sucking focus from the main objectives...
Yes, tracking every possible angle from each setup zone so as to determine potential LOF would have been more thorough. With time constraints and a faulty assumption on my part of jump-off zone exclusivity hindsight makes it more obvious. More on that later after the round.

jdsu

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Late start by amoi. Have sent the first file to Michael Dorosh.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Unbelievable. I set up one element of my at start force, then went to do the rest of the group and got an unhandled exception error. The game crashed and I had to restart my setup from scratch. I redid my set up from memory, did the first group exactly the same way, then went to click on the next element as I did before, and got exactly the same unhandled exception error. Result? The game crashed again. I just spent thirty minutes before work with nothing to show for it. My set up will have to wait. I guess I'll try setting units up in a different order and see if it produces a different result.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The problem is with two particular Russian units. Doesn't matter what order I do the set up in, whenever I try and click on them, the game gives an Unhandled Exception error. I'll send the file to Kerry and see what he can make of it. I just tried it again, and went to click the units first thing. Same thing happened. How odd.

MeatEtr

Reaction score
I swear I had this problem years ago. Wish I could remember exactly what it was. I think it had something to do with an update from windows. Or at least something that appeared to have no impact on CM but in fact did somehow.

Looking at my installed programs, MS .NET Framework or MS Visual C++ slightly rings a bell. Again, I could be way off, but check to see what has been installed or updated recently.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry for the delayed response- been out of town.

I had no problems running the turn you sent MD so it might just be a file reading corruption on your end.
I've sent a new file to JDSU, lets hope that solves the problem.

If not just don't use those 2 units. :p

If the new file doesn't work we can try deleting the all vehicle or, swapping out the units for new vehicle units: it will have to be done for both Axis & Allies for balance.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Very odd - still buggy. I will reinstall CMBB to a new location and see if that doesn't solve the issue. Can't understand why there would be a problem.

MeatEtr

Reaction score
Ok I just got a unhandled exception error too. The only thing that I had running in the background that I normally don't was MSN Messenger Live. So I turned it off and did not get another error. So for what it's worth, try turning off this program or any other similar programs running in the background.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a little confused. Shouldn't my round 2 game have started already?

Maybe I missed something when I was on vacation?

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
Just another turn and that damned flag would have been mine!

Oh well, it was not to be, end result:
Quellist 57 - Lurker 43
Allied minor victory.

I enjoyed the game, but I'm not so sure that Lurker did :laugh:

Lurker

Reaction score
Thank god that one is over! I hope one of these scenarios turns out to be axis friendly. :mad:

I have much to discuss about this scenario but no spoilers here.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Thank god that one is over! I hope one of these scenarios turns out to be axis friendly. :mad:

I have much to discuss about this scenario but no spoilers here.
Is it really necessary to complain about each scenario before the others have even played it? I can see why so few people bother going to the trouble of putting tournaments together anymore.

I'm installing CM:BB on my laptop as we speak and hopefully my technical issues will not be repeated.

Lurker

Reaction score
Is it really necessary to complain about each scenario before the others have even played it? I can see why so few people bother going to the trouble of putting tournaments together anymore.
I'm installing CM:BB on my laptop as we speak and hopefully my technical issues will not be repeated.
Don't get your knickers in a bunch, it's all part of the game. No one says you have to agree with the assessment.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Don't get your knickers in a bunch, it's all part of the game.
I haven't even gotten to turn one and now you're on the forum proclaiming that any victory for one side will be due to the scenario being "flawed". I don't understand how that is supposed to be fun for anyone else taking part.

No one says you have to agree with the assessment.
If you're not even convinced of it yourself, then why make a point of trying to ruin everyone else's fun? You should probably just accept the results of your game with a little humility and dignity.

Lurker

Reaction score
... now you're on the forum proclaiming that any victory for one side will be due to the scenario being "flawed". I don't understand how that is supposed to be fun for anyone else taking part.
Clearly I did not make that "proclamation". It was an just an opinion and that's your interpretation. If your ability to have fun depends on what everyone else thinks then perhaps you're playing the wrong game.

If you're not even convinced of it yourself, then why make a point of trying to ruin everyone else's fun? You should probably just accept the results of your game with a little humility and dignity.
I am convinced of it; where did you get the idea I wasn't? I am allowing for the fact that others have their opinions and that they may differ from mine. Maybe you should try that approach too. We're all a competitive lot or we wouldn't be playing in this tournament. In that atmosphere you will always have opinions, comments and blowing off of steam and that's simply the nature of tournaments, so I'm not sure what you effort is here unless it's to shut everyone up if they don't speak pure happy-happy, joy-joy.

MeatEtr

Reaction score
Don't sweat it, he's clearly bent outta shape due to his tech problems. Which I'm sure we can all relate to.