Diverse Round 1

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even if he had cease-fired it doesn't mean Quellist would have...
If an opponent says he's done playing for whatever reason (and not just to quit while he's ahead / winning) & calls for a ceasefire- it should be accepted & ceasefire, that or see an opponent just surrender or quit sending turns.
It's the simplest friendly solution and gives a snapshot Victory Score instead of having a 100% Victiory or guessing the outcome. A surrender & 100% win just skews the results and an unresponsive opponent messes things up just as much.

And, thanks to a tourney of Gentleman-warriors the First Round will continue as is. :salute:

Last edited:

BigAlMoho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If an opponent says he's done playing for whatever reason (and not just to quit while he's ahead / winning) & calls for a ceasefire- it should be accepted & ceasefire, that or see an opponent just surrender or quit sending turns.
It's the simplest friendly solution and gives a snapshot Victory Score instead of having a 100% Victiory or guessing the outcome. A surrender & 100% win just skews the results and an unresponsive opponent messes things up just as much.

And, thanks to a tourney of Gentleman-warriors the First Round will continue as is. :salute:
Understood...

Back to the test of wills!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Especially if that's what the tourney director asks for in advance.

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
Remember that score is not based on if the game had continued but if he had just cease-fired instead of surrendering on that turn. :)
Yeah, no problem with the score, it is calculated by the game and as a point value it is "perfect". Perhaps assessment wasn't the right word, it was the part about how might/would play out I disagreed with :).

Last edited:

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
Please bear in mind that English is a second language for me and that some things might sound harsher than intended.

If an opponent says he's done playing for whatever reason (and not just to quit while he's ahead / winning)
Well, the problem is that is, in some sense, what happens if you just cease-fire. This is a worst possible outcome for me, score wise (as much as anything can be certain in CM), and thus it is a best possible out come for whomever takes Leto's spot, thus it becomes an unintended quit while "ahead" (or, in this case, not as far behind) type scenario.
If you are going to enforce sportsmanlike rules to when you can request a cease-fire, they should be applied to the situation in the game as well. And in this case Leto didn't quit because of RL issues, he quit because he had lost his armor, had 12-13 turns of grueling grind ahead of him and thought that I had gotten a much better deal with my force.

A surrender & 100% win just skews the results and an unresponsive opponent messes things up just as much.
Sure, but this skews the results against me almost as much as a surrender skews them for me.
One is the floor score, the other the ceiling score.

As I said earlier though, I'm easy and I'll play my score as it stands, without grumbling too much ;). But I can't say that that I don't think that I get a pretty bad deal.

BigAlMoho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please bear in mind that English is a second language for me and that some things might sound harsher than intended.

Well, the problem is that is, in some sense, what happens if you just cease-fire. This is a worst possible outcome for me, score wise (as much as anything can be certain in CM), and thus it is a best possible out come for whomever takes Leto's spot, thus it becomes an unintended quit while "ahead" (or, in this case, not as far behind) type scenario.
If you are going to enforce sportsmanlike rules to when you can request a cease-fire, they should be applied to the situation in the game as well. And in this case Leto didn't quit because of RL issues, he quit because he had lost his armor, had 12-13 turns of grueling grind ahead of him and thought that I had gotten a much better deal with my force.

Sure, but this skews the results against me almost as much as a surrender skews them for me.
One is the floor score, the other the ceiling score.

As I said earlier though, I'm easy and I'll play my score as it stands, without grumbling too much ;). But I can't say that that I don't think that I get a pretty bad deal.
It seems to me, that the solution would be to take the average of the surrender score and the cease-fire score...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you should wait for all other games to finish and then look at the situation at surrender time, look at what a similar situation is a finished game turned out at and then just set a score for the surrender game out of the blue.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just adjust all the cash prizes accordingly and let's move on.

Five-eights of four-fifths of F-all is still F-all. :laugh:

Lurker

Reaction score
I have to agree with Quellist. An arbitrary cease-fire agreement can be detrimental to the side not wanting it, particularly if that side feels they have a decent edge whereas the cease-fire would give them a loss or tie.

Rather than force a cease-fire on both when one side would really prefer to surrender, the most equitable solution could be for the requestee to agree to move all his forces off of the flags and allow the other side to secure them. At that point the owner of the flags then submits his cease-fire request and the game ends. :hmmm:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still having PC trouble with my gaming machine and CMBB stopped working in Linux. New graphics card is scheduled to show up today.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh ok, I had no idea, was wondering what was taking so long. Thanks for posting.
Yeah, sorry about that. I was remote for the weekend but then the graphics card in my server/workstation had blown up and I had to use the one from the gaming machine. I also found why CMBB stopped working on Linux, so a turn should come shortly after I get home.

jdsu

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
LOL...Lifeline was needed. Several heroes stepped up.

Battle finished. jdsu vs BigAlMoho

Tactical victory for Axis. 68 - 32.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
LOL...Lifeline was needed. Several heroes stepped up.

Battle finished. jdsu vs BigAlMoho

Tactical victory for Axis. 68 - 32.
An Axis victory - well done. Looking forward to the AAR.

BigAlMoho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, round two starts today? :)
That first round reminded me of the lesson I learned years ago about taking extra time with the setup... :-(

Lurker

Reaction score
There are still two games left and if the two stand-bys square off for a fast one that will make three. So it appears you are going to have to wait before you can start killing things again.:bandit::ar15::horse::rifle:

BigAlMoho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are still two games left and if the two stand-bys square off for a fast one that will make three. So it appears you are going to have to wait before you can start killing things again.:bandit::ar15::horse::rifle:
This is from the beginning of this thread:
Rd 1 starts August 7, ends October 11.
Rd 2 starts Sept 4, ends November 8.